Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

7.2 and havent informed the docs yet

(16 Posts)

With one thing and another ive yet to drop my urine sample into the docs - they do a really odd system at my surgery:
Pick up sample pot
Return sample pot
Ring two days later to have results
Then get an appt with doc who will then make a referral
Then the MW comes out and does booking in
Then you get a scan date.

The last time I had a baby I told the docs I was pg over the phone and they referred me for a bookig in apt and that was that. I didnt factor in the time for all these new pointless imo steps inbetween.

I feel like ive left it so late that my scan date amd booking in will be delayed.

Mrswellyboot Sat 08-Mar-14 19:23:03

What a whole lot of fuss? At my GP she gives you a pot, you toddle off to the loo to provide a sample while she sorts a bit of paprework. Books you in. Job done?

Congratulations btw flowers

Mrswellyboot Sat 08-Mar-14 19:23:22

Paperwork blush

SidandAndyssextoy Sat 08-Mar-14 19:25:12

What on earth? No wonder the NHS is struggling if surgeries are doing this rubbish. I rang the midwives the day I got a positive test and was on the books then and there. One short phone call.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 08-Mar-14 19:27:00

How very, very odd. But I wasn't 'in the system' until around 9 weeks with my second two pregnancies. They got me scans easily at 12 weeks. I guess that there is probably just a bit less scope of re-arrange if you can't make the initial date.

TheScience Sat 08-Mar-14 19:27:19

What a fussy system. I just called the midwives when I was about 8 weeks to get a booking appointment a couple of weeks later.

Its ridiculous. When I initially called, I said "im pregnant,could I please be referred to the MW?" (only have one MW attached to the surgery), then they explained this whole rigmarole. Tbh I do not know what the point of the gp appt is, especially for a second etc pg.

gunwalloe Sat 08-Mar-14 19:32:15

With my last four they took my word for it with the positive test but this time I had the pointless wait. Made even longer as when I phoned for the result (which I already knew was positive) the doctor hadn't given me a password so they couldn't tell me the result over the phone I had to book a appointment with the doc just for him to say yes your pregnant you can book in.
Our Docs fax the forms straight to the hospital once you fill it in so I still got my scan at the correct time, hopefully you will to.

Last baby, they told me home pts are decent enough to trust so o dont know whats changed.

Maybe I shpuld book an appt and take my sample there and just say "can you test this" and

eurochick Sat 08-Mar-14 19:45:05

I had the same apart from the sample - GP appointment (completely pointless - he filled out an onscreen form with me repeating each bit of info several times as he couldn't seem to retain it, and couldn't grasp that as I had IVF the fertilisation date might be a more accurate date of conception than guessing that I had ovulated 14 days after my period started) and then mw appt.

eurochick Sat 08-Mar-14 19:48:20

Oh, and I didn't have my GP appointment until 8 weeks as I thought I was miscarrying. Had my booking in at 11 weeks and was given a scan appointment at 12+4 so timing was not affected.

It must be different in Scotland. I toddled off to GP expecting to need to pee in a pot. Didn't happen. She took my blood pressure and gave me the number to book in with the midwife myself. Got my appointments for my midwife and scan over the phone. I suppose it does give you the option to keep the GP out of the system.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 08-Mar-14 20:31:22

Monkey - Not necessarily a Scottish thing. I don't go via the GP either. Procedure in my area is to call the GP surgery and ask for the phone number of the midwives, call them and take it from there. In my old area you had to see the GP first (though just for pointless form filling, not pot peeing).

lighteningmcmama Sat 08-Mar-14 20:32:41

I've not seen my gp at all. At the hospital I chose, I can self refer so I just emailed them a form that was online! I'm 9w

GreatSoprendo Sat 08-Mar-14 20:53:09

I had to see the GP in order to get referred for a booking appointment with the MW too. He didn't want a sample, didn't do blood pressure - nothing. He just filled in a form (which he couldn't find and had to call the receptionist to find for him).

I saw the form - it had my name and address on it and his signature. That's it.

Pointless waste of time!

MummytoMog Sat 08-Mar-14 21:50:41

I didn't bother until nearly nine weeks this time. Was a teensy bit in denial about the whole pregnant thing, but got a twelve week scan fine and I've booked in already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now