Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

so annoyed at midwife and now dont know what to do

(23 Posts)
pinkpompomispretty Fri 07-Mar-14 17:35:05

Hi
This is my second pregnancy. I developed severe preeclampsia at 30ish weeks with dc1 and was in hospital until I had her at 35 weeks. Im now pregnant again and was told by my midwife that I would be seen by consultant at 20 weeks due to the preeclampsia last time. When I got to 20 weeks I hadn't heard anything so asked midwife and she said to enquire at my 20 week scan, and when they checked they didn't have a referral from her. My booking in appointment was literally 10 minutes and she didn't fill out any of the history details and said she would do that at my 18 week check (which she did.) The hospital said to contact her and ask her to do an urgent referral for consultant. I rang her and got no answer and she text me back saying she would sort it. 5 days later I still haven't heard anything and have rung and text her. Just starting to feel really annoyed and don't know what else to do. Thanks in advance to listening to my rant!

capsium Fri 07-Mar-14 17:39:34

I would monitor your blood pressure religiously if you have a monitor at home. If not could you get one? They don't cost that much.

If it is dangerously high I would be ringing the hospital.

Other than that I would keep trying to contact the midwife and I would ring the surgery you are registered with as well if you get no response.

KoalaFace Fri 07-Mar-14 17:41:14

She sounds crap! Call the hospital (even if it's the delivery suite) and explain you are getting nowhere with the midwife you have spoken to and it's all making you very anxious.

Do you know the number for the obstetrician?

pinkpompomispretty Fri 07-Mar-14 17:48:30

I haven't got a blood pressure monitor at home as im only 21 weeks so was thinking of getting one in the next couple of weeks. I don't know the number of the obstetrician as I don't think iv even by assigned one yet. The sonographer didn't check my blood pressure but referred me to the nurses at the desk who said I should be seen as a matter of urgency and they said the midwife hadn't referred me at all. So stressful and confusing and my dc1 is mentally disabled due to the birth I had last time and her not breathing when being born. Its just so frustrating!

Could your GP refer you?

peeapod Fri 07-Mar-14 17:50:55

i would make an appointment with your gp. usually they can refer you if no one else is willing to. Ringing the hospital is the same as ringing the obstr.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Mar-14 17:52:33

Ring the hospital and ask them to get a supervisor of midwives to contact you the same day.

Theincidental Fri 07-Mar-14 17:53:57

By pass the midwife and go to your gp for a referral. I have a rare medical condition that affected me in pregnancy and that was the way I went through to consultant led care.

capsium Fri 07-Mar-14 17:53:57

Would your GP be easier to get hold of on the phone at the surgery? You could talk to them about your worries.

capsium Fri 07-Mar-14 17:54:12

x post

KoalaFace Fri 07-Mar-14 17:54:49

Oh Pink I'm so annoyed on your behalf. You do not need this!

Is there someone who can do some calling around for you? DP/H or someone? Even if they just google the numbers for ante natal or obstetrician and demand to self refer.

KoalaFace Fri 07-Mar-14 17:55:37

Oh GP! Duh. That's a good idea.

pinkpompomispretty Fri 07-Mar-14 17:58:00

The stupid thing is the midwife was the one who said I needed to be referred to the consultant, not me! So don't know why she hasn't done the referral. I think im going to ring my GP but they are shut over the weekend so going to have to wait until Monday. I had an awful birth with dc1 and she said I would either have a natural birth or c section this time around but I know I need to discuss the possibility of a c section with the consultant. Just at the end of my tether and need to rant after waiting almost a week for her to get back to me.

Foodylicious Fri 07-Mar-14 18:02:25

Phone the GP surgery your midwife is based at and ask to be put through to the supervising midwife, pretty sure they all have one they are responsible to. also ring your maternity assessment unit and explain the situation to them. They might offer you a check up, even if its just to put your mind at rest until the midwife sorts herself out

PurplePidjin Fri 07-Mar-14 18:11:31

What about asking the Senior Midwife? You should be able to get hold of him/her through the local birth centre which will be open 24/7?

pinkpompomispretty Fri 07-Mar-14 18:13:57

Do you think I should give her over the weekend? As right now I don't feel unwell or anything, but know I should have seen consultant about a week ago, I hate making a fuss!

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Mar-14 18:14:10

Pre eclampsia usually doesn't present before 28 weeks, so the midwife is probably thinking that there's plenty of time yet.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Mar-14 18:14:42

I think it can wait till Monday to be honest.

capsium Fri 07-Mar-14 18:16:28

Oh if it is any reassurance my mother had pre-eclampsia with me but not with my brother. They did closely monitor her blood pressure though and she was told to take lots of rest.

PurplePidjin Fri 07-Mar-14 18:21:28

Midwives work odd shifts afaik, so if you're worried then ring and leave a message. I have no experience of pre-eclampsia but I know the worry won't be helping you thanks

pinkpompomispretty Fri 07-Mar-14 18:44:10

Im not worried that I have it, as haven't had any of the symptoms, if I did then I would go straight to hospital! Its just because it should have been sorted weeks ago and just feel anxious because I can never get hold of her. I had a lot of bleeding of bright red blood at 11 weeks and couldn't get hold of her, left her answer phone messages and she never bothered to get back to me then either. I think I will wait til Monday as there is no real urgency right now but will ring drs on Monday morning. Thanks capsium that's reassuring to know, iv been told to rest up but with a 4 year old dc who constantly needs things and work its really hard! Plus sorting out all her schooling for September too has been very stressful, just wish appointment could be made and I could just turn up, but that would be being lazy and would be to easy lol

capsium Fri 07-Mar-14 18:51:07

Yeah I think my mum was in a similar position, well she had me to look after! grin I remember watching Grange Hill with her.

lucy101 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:31:00

I think you should see if you can get a one-to-one midwife (if that is a possibility where you are). You have had and are having a terrible time and should be properly and sensitively cared for. I second getting your GP involved, ringing the supervisor and/or contacting a consultant yourself. I did (a different traumatic experience) and now have much better people taking care of me. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now