Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Do I need to learn gymnastics now?

(11 Posts)
Kellyjdancer Fri 07-Mar-14 13:51:43

Okay, I don't go to the shops too often (just not a shopper). Today I had to park up in my town center car park.... Ummm, how are we supposed to squeeze out of the car these days? I'm 35 weeks and this tummy just doesn't "suck in". It was a full car park and this was the only available space.... back in the day, I would have been fine to get in and out.

Just needed to vent and have a laugh at myself. I'm sure I provided entertainment to people stalking the lot for a space.

flymo79 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:01:59

I think this all the time! Our parking spaces at work are tiny and I'm already struggling (only 19 weeks and just showing)!! I will have to drive to the door and hire a valet to park my car....

Writerwannabe83 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:10:59

I'm 37 weeks and got wedged yesterday smile

Someone told me that we are actually allowed to park in the parent/child spaces as obviously they are much wider. I thought they were trying too wind me up but they were pretty adamant that being pregnant and needing more space to exit the car entitled us to use those spaces.

lighteningmcmama Fri 07-Mar-14 14:15:06

Try to find end positions at the end of a row (though I appreciate you said it was all full today)

And/or park right on the line of the side you don't need.although I always felt guilty about this because I thought what if the car on my left is a pregnant driver too!

I used to leave a note on the driver's side window lodged in the window to say I'm pregnant PLEASE don't park too close

I had to ask a stranger once to drive my car out of the parking space because another car had parked up too close

Best option though is where possible use street parking

It gets harder if you're pregnant with dc2 and need access to both sides (unless of course you switch dc1 to same side as you, but then what if you're pregnant with dc3...)

Oh and sadly don't expect much sympathy from MNers on this one, all thought I was being silly when I asked the same question 2 years ago, surely I could still squeeze through as they never had any problems hmm angry

flymo79 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:34:39

it's interesting what you say lightening, it is one of those things that when you're in the club you think about it because it affects you and when you've not experienced it you're totally none the wiser. It should be covered by equalities legislation, like all other protected characteristics!! We should sue the supermarket when we can't get back into your car because the spaces are too small!!

McBaby Fri 07-Mar-14 15:12:33

I had an disagreement with a very unpleasant lady the other day who parked on the white line next to my car so I couldn't open my door to get my DD in to the car seat. At nearly 33 weeks pregnant with SPD getting her in with the door fully open is a challenge! She told me she was in her space so it was my problem and walked in to the shop.

It is difficult to find spaces where you have access at both sides for my dd and for me! And there were no baby spaces in this car park.

Kellyjdancer Fri 07-Mar-14 16:08:02

I'm certainly not looking for sympathy. I found it comical more than anything. Just a shame the normal car park spaces can't be just a bit larger. Think how nice all our cars would look without the sides riddled with dings!!

Mummytobe2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:15:16

I have struggled to now 39+ weeks with spd i park in parent and child unless my dp drives and he can find an end so i have lots of space to get out. I will try and find an end on my own but its very rare. I think it reasonable to use parent a child when pregnant with bump etc smile

Legalbaby79 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:09:33

I ve been using parent and child, controversial I know but I can't twist and turn my way out of car ..... This bump don't suck in !

lighteningmcmama Fri 07-Mar-14 21:10:45

Sorry OP sympathy was perhaps the wrong word, I just meant that I was surprised by how many MNers just didn't get it when I posted about this a couple of years ago!

lighteningmcmama Fri 07-Mar-14 21:14:13

I used parent and child when I was pregnant with dc1. I figured no one dare question it, my bump was enough of an explanation! There was an mp a few years ago trying to change things so women could have a pink badge which would allow them to park nearer shops, more of a solution to high st shopping I guess than shopping centres, but I dint think it got anywhere. I'll try yo dig out a link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now