Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Maternity at North Middlesex Hospital, London or Princess Alex, Harlow- any good?

(6 Posts)
artylady14 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:19:05

Hi, has anyone had recent experience of giving birth/maternity services at North Middlesex Hospital in North London? I am considering having my baby there and need to decide in the next week, my Dr said. There has been a closure in the borough of the other maternity unit and I am worried about services being overstretched. My other option is Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow as I will be moving at some point to West Essex.

Vix286 Fri 07-Mar-14 15:18:25

I had DD in Princess Alexandra 3 years ago and will go there again for this one. Nice midwife led unit with pools, which I used. I was happy there and know others who were too.

What did you specifically want to know?

artylady14 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:48:58

I am so glad to hear that Vix286. I will be moving to Loughton at some point in this pregnancy. I was hoping to hear good things about North Mid too as its the hospital nearest to my hometown and where I have lived all my life. My GP cant refer me to Princess Alexandra as its not on their list so I can only transfer to their care when I move. Thanks for the headsup.

curlyLJ Fri 07-Mar-14 18:48:01

I'm booked into Princess Alex and although I've got 6 weeks to go yet, I have found all their ante-natal care to be very good so far.

I am hoping to use the midwife led unit so nice to know others have been happy there...

Shellywelly1973 Fri 07-Mar-14 23:32:48

The North Mid has a brand new birth centre. It only opened in November but the hospital has a poor reputation. I live 2 minutes from it. I had a baby 4 weeks ago but went to The Whittington.

If your moving to Loughton, u would go to Harlow as The North Middlesex would be too far especially if you end up in labour during rush hour!

artylady14 Sat 08-Mar-14 10:16:35

Hi Shelly, I was seriously considering North Mid as my parents live very 5 mins drive from it and I thought I would just stay with them in the week. I know the birth centre is brand new but also hear all the bad stories about overcrowding at Barnet and North Mid due to Chase Farm maternity closure.
I thought about rush hour! I am worried about getting to Harlow from Loughton in the rush hour and being all alone in the house if my partner's at work. I know nobody there. It's half an hour just to get there when there is no traffic. That's why I was considering North Mid.

I have had treatment once at Whittington. I thought it was excellent. Congrats for the birth of your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now