Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My ELCS has been booked. Now I have the fear!

(5 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Thu 06-Mar-14 18:35:21

I was totally fine about having a section but now that it's been booked it's all very real and I'm suddenly scared. It's at 39+1 so plenty of time to calm myself down but is this fear irrational?

weebigmamma Thu 06-Mar-14 19:47:16

I don't think it's irrational. Mine is booked too but I spent months having to hear about the risks of a section over and over and over again so it's no wonder I'm now feeling anxious about it. But if I was having a vaginal birth I'd be feeling anxious too- probably more so given my history and current state!

I try to remind myself why I am having a section and that for me the risks are less than with a vaginal birth.

I also try to surround myself with positive stories about elective sections and ignore the scary stories. I realise they're true too but what's the point in scaring yourself when most people's sections go really well?

There is a book called 'Choosing Caesarean: A Natural Birth Plan' which is good and will make you feel loads better about having an ELCS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C4B2U6K/ref=oh_d__o01_details_o01__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hubbahubster Thu 06-Mar-14 20:32:40

I had an ELCS. It was ace smile the scariest bit was knowing I'd actually become a mummy for sure on that day!

Honestly, it's fine - calm, very different to an EMCS (I believe) and you know when you'll be meeting baby. So exciting!

lucy101 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:08:08

Hi there, the book above is just brilliant (thank you to the mumsnetter who recommended it) so I second getting that. There are so many positive posts on here about ELCS and not many negative ones which I found very reassuring.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:09:24

Mine was booked when I was 22 weeks pregnant so I've had plenty of time to get used to the idea - I'm 37 weeks tomorrow. It was originally for when I was 39+3 but it has been bought forward and is now happening 2 weeks tomorrow!! EEK!! So excited!! I don't feel apprehensive at all but I'm sure that will change on the day.

I'm just so, so, so uncomfortable that the sooner it happens the better.

My midwife reckons I'll go into natural labour earlier - fingers crossed!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now