Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 week appointment gender prediction by midwife?

(31 Posts)
22honey Thu 06-Mar-14 16:08:58

I had my 16 week appointment today and was delighted that the heartbeat was able to be heard as soon as the device was put on my belly :D The second midwife in the room commented that 'it sounds like a boy that' with regards to the heartbeat. Has anyone else had a midwife comment on the sex of the baby whilst hearing the HB at this point and if so, were they correct? I've heard that the heart rate can change throughout the pregnancy but me and DP presumed she must know what shes on about?

I would be delighted with either gender by the way, its just very exciting and wondering what others thought of this, whether gender can be predicted by the sound of the HB at 16 weeks?

xxx

Felyne Thu 06-Mar-14 18:04:43

I heard that girl heartbests are faster. Was true for both of mine (one of each) but I've just as often come across people saying the opposite is true. You always remember the old wives tales that were right in your own case. During my second pregnancy I had to be monitored for about 20 minutes (i forget why) but during that time the heartbeat fluctuated from 130 to 180 averaging about 160!

22honey Thu 06-Mar-14 18:19:14

Yes Eirikur I know that gender/sex isn't the same thing, or atleast isn't to a lot of people. I just presumed posters would know what I meant by saying it! I've used either term before.

Didn't mean to cause any offence :/

Norem Thu 06-Mar-14 18:23:21

It's a load of rubbishsmile
Am a mw by the way hth

MiserableCowWhenUpTheDuff Thu 06-Mar-14 18:25:28

Apparently boys sound like a train and girls sound like galloping horses... 2 midwives told me I was having a boy!

My daughter is amazing :-D

No offence taken! Just irritated at the constant posts about finding out the gender. That's not what gender is smile

JustDanni Fri 07-Mar-14 00:00:49

It's not an entirely accurate way of predicting babys sex so don't go out buying stuff yet lol.
In all honesty it comes under the category of "Old wives tales" as there is a 50/50 chance that she may be correct.
I would hold out until your 20week if you intend on finding out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now