Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Aargggghhhhh restless legs!!!!

(17 Posts)
Hellymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 21:20:22

Restless legs are doing my head right in! I don't have them in the day only in the evening and thru the night! They wake me up in the night and then I can't get back to sleep!!! I feel like I gotta keep moving them about and they all crawly and on edge!!! What with that and leg cramps I'm going mad!!!!!!!!!

Misty9 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:25:25

I feel your pain. Infuriating aren't they?! Apparently eating bananas can help.. I find it's worse when I'm tired too.

BiscuitMillionaire Wed 05-Mar-14 21:26:59

Taking iron helped me.

AuditAngel Wed 05-Mar-14 21:27:26

I think it may be potassium that helps?

Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:58:59

I had this for weeks - it was unbearable.
I really, really sympathise - I was in tears most nights.

I tried every remedy suggested to me but nothing made a difference. I couldn't sleep, was shattered and like I said, really tearful about it. I was well awake until 3-4am most nights (mornings) due to my legs being so painful.

Then I got diagnosed with anaemia and started on iron supplements - I haven't had a single episode of restless legs since smile

That was about 8 weeks ago now and it has been heaven grin

Go and get your Iron levels checked smile

TimeToThinkOfYourFuture Wed 05-Mar-14 22:04:00

I had this badly when pregnant. I found cold shower really helped!

ismarah Fri 07-Mar-14 17:40:16

As nobody has mentioned it - magnesium is great. I find it better than potassium to prevent the shakes and muscle cramps, but potassium is good for fatigued muscles too.

And although you're unlikely to be dehydrated, that can have an effect.

sophielouise Fri 07-Mar-14 21:02:33

So glad I found this thread! Restless legs for me too. Can't describe it, my husband doesn't get it and thinks I'm mad. Thanks for the tips

AnnaBanana25 Sat 08-Mar-14 14:24:47

Can I join the club?! Its a nightmare isn't it? I have found dunking my feet in cold water before bed to be handy (otherwise I'm wriggling all night!).

If nothing else works in the evenings I just stand up and start doing this really strange chicken walk, much to my dhs entertainment!!

greentshirt Sat 08-Mar-14 14:29:39

A banana usually helps me. Or maybe its just because bananas give me heartburn which is worse than the legs!

Lvcat Sun 09-Mar-14 19:51:29

Greentshirt I'd rather take heartburn over restless legs too! I've been getting DP to massage my legs just before bed and that seems to help. It's heaven for my sciatica as well!

RaRa1988 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:21:29

I get it horrendously too sad. The one thing that helps me, and god only knows why, is sleeping with my legs up on a pillow; I put it lengthways under me so that most of my leg from thigh to ankle is raised up. Works wonders.

weebigmamma Sun 09-Mar-14 23:44:13

I have had it every night for weeks and I'm up again now because of it. I hate being pregnant. I really, really, really hate it. I think I made a mistake getting pregnant. I can't even feel glad about having a baby at all because it's just more sleep deprivation and I don't think I can take it any more.

HyvaPaiva Sun 09-Mar-14 23:49:07

Mama Mio Lucky Legs cream gets good reviews for soothing restless legs.

Lightheartedindeed Mon 10-Mar-14 00:11:31

I used to get this bad. Try lying on your side with your legs straight and bring one leg back while putting the other forward then swap (kind of like scissors) hope I've explained that ok gl

jenglo Tue 11-Mar-14 16:55:19

I get this and its driving me mad! The only thing that helps me is sticking my feet in the freezer - we have a tall one so i just rest my feet on the bottom shelf - sounds crazy but the coldness seems to numb it and works. All my friends laugh at me (i had restless legs before pregnancy) but it does work - either that or walking on the cold tiles in the bathroom but sometimes its just not cold enough lol x

rachyconks Tue 11-Mar-14 17:02:01

Bananas and tonic water (mind you these combined gave me bad heartburn!). I had it really bad from about 25-35 weeks and then it disappeared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now