Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Knitting for baby

(39 Posts)
Beckyanddel Wed 05-Mar-14 20:31:31

Hi everyone
I Have recently knitted a blanket for my sister in law who is expecting any day soon and it has got me thinking about whether mums still knit for their newborn babies...
Just wondering if anyone here is knitting anything for their baby or wants to? If not, what is stopping you?
Really appreciate your views :-)
Thanks
Becky

dats Wed 05-Mar-14 23:39:43

I'm knitting! It's so great to be able to finish stuff, rather than the multitude of half-arsed projects in my bag! I've made three cardis and am doing a stripey cotton pram blanket.

Agree YouTube is fab for learning. And can recommend a lovely pattern on Ravelry called something like garter stitch yoke cardigan, which is a top-down, one piece affair, so no horrid making up. Increases and picking up stitches for button band are as complex as it gets. Two and a bit balls of Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino.

Knitting rocks smile (baby's going to hate me, right?)

Beckyanddel Thu 06-Mar-14 06:17:59

Thanks everyone. It's so good to hear that so many other people have a passion for the stitching too! I love the idea that it is a labour of love and that our items will pass down the generations! Good luck finishing all your projects :-)

LavenderFox Thu 06-Mar-14 07:16:06

I have made socks and mittens for most babies in the family, I don't make cardigans because dressing a baby in a zipped tracksuit is about a million times easier....

One of the easiest things to start as a newbie is little baby hat. If you pick a fluffy yarn it is almost impossible to see any mistakes! And the furry ones even more so, you don't need to bother making any patterns or even a rib.

Another great and useful thing is to knit or crochet small squares about 15x15 cm with different patterns like some with simple stocking stitch, some moss stitch and then join them at different angles to make an interesting shabby chic blanket. Looks amazing with very little effort made of soft pastel cotton yarns of different colours. Have made several of those upon request as pram blankets.

cathpip Thu 06-Mar-14 08:28:17

I have a very bad knitted blanket (rather odd shape smile) that was knitted for me by my mum. Sadly my mum passed away last year and dad found her one and only attempt at knitting, which we did have a good giggle about. But dc3 who is due in 4 weeks will be coming home wrapped in said blanket!!

SweetPea86 Thu 06-Mar-14 08:45:55

I'd love to knit but I have little patient lol my auntie is knitting for me. I love knitted things x

Roseandmabelshouse Thu 06-Mar-14 08:53:53

I love the idea of getting your family and friends to crochet a square or two each and then joining them together.

BlanketSky Thu 06-Mar-14 09:08:40

I can't knit- at least 3 people have tried to teach me- but I am sewing stuff instead smile I am tempted to go to a beginners' workshop thing at our wool shop, but the next one is 3 days before my ELCS so that might wait a while....

My mum made a lot of cardigans/jumpers for DS (and still does- he's 3 and loves his knits from Grandma, especially when she puts fancy buttons on them; he's got cat buttons today!). She's made so many I haven't kept them all but passed on, however I make sure I get a decent photo of DS wearing each one. Kept his first cardigan that he came home from hospital in, and DD will go in it too smile

Mum is so excited that this is a DD as patterns are more interesting apparently, and I know has made several things already. I don't think this one will lack for knits! DMiL has knitted a blanket I know and there'll be other knitted things appearing from various DH relatives smile

wm3010 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:41:15

I'm knitting, really like doing bits for babies anyway as the clothes are so tiny that they can be done quickly and have done things for friends in the past. I was too tired to knit in the first trimester (that's how my dh knew how rubbish I felt, it's unheard of for me not to knit for a prolonged period of time) but have really got going with things since the 20 week scan. Have now done a couple of blankets and several little cardies, I like the idea of doing things for my baby and it means I can feel productive whilst lounging around eating chocolate! My mum is also knitting so will have a nice selection of stuff.

kally195 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:06:43

I'm teaching myself to crochet - I've started with a pram blanket but am aiming to move onto the Toft animals yet. I am not going to bother with clothes etc, as so many relatives are apparently knitting like mad. I do like the idea of making soft toys for the monster though so mine don't get chewed

hubbahubster Thu 06-Mar-14 15:21:00

I've knitted for friends' babies but not my own, oddly. Maybe because DM has been knitting a storm so I haven't needed to!

Beckyanddel Sat 08-Mar-14 08:19:24

Just bought it thanks! X

BumpNGrind Sat 08-Mar-14 09:01:43

This is a beautiful idea, unfortunately we have very few older relatives left and certainly no one who can knit for us. I'm going to try my hand at crocheting a blanket though. I would love to be able to make something our baby will use. If anyone knows of any easy patterns I'd be really interested to learn more please.

TheOnlySeven Sat 08-Mar-14 13:32:44

There's nothing nicer than seeing a tiny baby in a hand-knitted cardi. I've just started one for DC4 due in September and got some lovely vintage patterns from eBay, also my mum has loads of patterns that she knitted for us when we were babies. The first thing I ever knitted was a teddy bear when I was expecting DS, he's now 5 and still cuddles it at bedtime.

LavenderFox Sat 08-Mar-14 14:06:50

Bump Sirdar does a lovely yarn called Crofter Baby Fair Isle which has a blend of pastel colours that knit or crochet into stripes. It is also nice hard-wearing yarn so washes well etc. I have made a few blankets with squares knitted from that and joined at different angles.

For a posh blanket/cardie Milla Mia is a lovely cashmere yarn and comes in lovely shades. It is so expensive though for a blanket it would be cheaper to buy one probably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now