Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to start maternity leave?

(17 Posts)
JC74 Wed 05-Mar-14 18:42:55

I 'only' work 20 hours per week in retail but is a food store and the work is quite physical. My role has been amended following a risk assessment so is easier than it was.
My due date is 30/7 and I was planning to work until the end of June, hopefully taking some annual leave before maternity leave starts.
Does anyone work in a similar role? Does this sound feasible?

xxx28xxx Wed 05-Mar-14 19:13:05

Hi

I've recently had this dilemma as I want as much time off when baby arrives so was originally working up to 38 wks and then using A/L and starting mat leave on my due date. I'm not 30 wks and shattered, my body is really struggling so I'm using my leave to finish at 36 wks.

So would u be finishing up around 36 wks? I think it's good to have an idea of when to stop but don't be too disheartened if u do need to finish up a bit earlier, I guess u just have to see how u feel nearer to the time. You might be absolutely fine and be able to work as long as u want

I felt really guilty saying to work I'm finishing up earlier than planned as I work in office so sit on my bum all day lol, but my pregnancy is getting harder and I want some me time.

Good luck with rest of your pregnancy and take it easy work wise smile

SellyMevs Wed 05-Mar-14 19:23:17

I was going to write this same post!

I'm due in August. My job is as physical or as sedentary as I want it to be. I want as much time off after the birth as possible as we can't afford for me to take a whole year. it'll be more like 6 months..

I'm hoping I can keep going as long as possible. I can change my hours and days as I need to, it's very flexible. Very interested in what is actually possible!

MrsMonkeyBear Wed 05-Mar-14 20:10:47

DH and I were talking about this the other day and as I am a chef, it makes sense for me to finish at 30 weeks. I can't imagine myself at 8 months leaning over a stove, cooking breakfast for 100+ people in the middle of summer!!

JC74 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:14:49

Thank you both for replying. I think I might be being a bit optimistic! It all seems so far away at the moment but I know it will fly round.
My employers have been great so far and I'm sure there'll be scope to amend my working pattern going forward.
I'm working the early shift at the moment and I slept for three hours this afternoon.
This is not my first pregnancy but there is a big gap and I'm not as young as I was. Last time I was office based and had to finish earlier than planned as I was so tired.

JC74 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:16:52

Ooh no MrsMonkeyBear I wouldn't fancy that either! I think I'm going to see how the next few weeks go and then make my plans.

Roxie85 Thu 06-Mar-14 06:02:50

I worked in an office and finished at 36+5 and my god I was exhausted. I should have gone at 36 weeks looking back and I just sat on my bum most of the day. I also started early labour dead on 37 weeks so failed to actually make use of my leave to relax and get ready for having a baby.
I think most employers are aware that the date is just a guide as they would rather you finish earlier than hold out for so long that your work suffers.

xxx28xxx Thu 06-Mar-14 07:11:11

That's what I'm worried will happen Roxie, although they say first babies tend to be late everyone I know went early! I'm just so tired and ideally want at least a week jst to relax and try get my head around what is to come smile

I think u are right, most employers are accommodating and it will get to the point where it's better u go when I start to struggle work wise. It's the lack of sleep in pregnancy that's a killer! Work is so much harder when u just want to curl up and sleep lol

Snobble Thu 06-Mar-14 10:33:57

Im 36+2 here and im not finishing till 39.... however i work in an office so my job isnt too physically demanding.

My workplace have helped by letting me work 7am-2pm however to avoid rush hour & this takes away a lot of the stress. Might be worth having a chat with your workplace to see if there is anything they can do to be helpful, tho i appreciate not all are.

Alb1 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:51:10

I work in a busy restaurant an am hopin to work up to about 37 weeks (purely cos il only get SMP) I don't no how that will work out as it's my first baby and it's quite a physical job, an people (regulars that no) are already commenting on wether I shud be doing certain tasks etc, although it's my partners business so I atleast have understanding bosses! I think it's hard to no how ul be feeling later on so don't feel bad if you have to finish earlier, I'm sure (hoping) ur employers will understand an will want to make sure your not overdoing it in work

MissSlackPants84 Thu 06-Mar-14 11:41:28

Take it when your ready. I work long hours in a sometimes physically demanding job. I'd love to only have to work to 32 weeks as I'm already finding it hard at almost 21. I just cant afford to take my leave that early. I'm dreading working til the beginning of July in the heat.

fay144 Thu 06-Mar-14 12:21:03

I had planned to start maternity leave at 39+4 weeks, to get as much time off as possible afterwards (and take a couple of weeks off as holiday beforehand).

However, I've been caught out by something that never occurred to me, so thought I'd share it in case it might apply to anyone else thinking about this:

I have made plans and booked a nursery place based on me/DH returning to work a year after I planned my maternity leave to start (planning to transfer the last month of my leave to him). I was thinking that would be fine - it's a first baby, and they are always late if anything, aren't they? But now the doctor is taking about inducing me at 37 or even 36 weeks. So maternity leave is going to be starting and ending a month earlier, and the nursery doesn't have any places available a month earlier any more! Can't believe they are fully booked for months in 2015, but that's just what it's like round here.

I wish I'd planned a bit more padding in place for this kind of thing. It's not the end of the world, but it might make things a bit awkward/expensive if one of us needs to take an extra month of unpaid leave.

Hobby2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:25:05

I've got 7 weeks annual leave to take, so am starting my maternity leave on due date, 31st July, but taking 7 weeks off before. I guess I'm quite lucky. I'm 19 weeks today and exhausted so it's sounding lovely to me right now!

lj123 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:30:07

I'm due 24/8/14 and I'm planning on starting my maternity leave 1/7/14, I have got hypermobility and do currently have a few issues with hip pain already so that's probably wise for me and I will get to enjoy the sunshine a bit, sleep and general me time grin

Tea1Sugar Thu 06-Mar-14 21:03:43

I'm a primary school teacher and my maternity leave officially starts on Monday at 34 weeks and I can't bloody wait! I'm having a csection at 39 weeks so am looking forward to 5 weeks with my toddler. Work is killing me.

JC74 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:20:48

I'm still wavering. Had a couple of good days at work this week but I am really tired again. Spending my afternoons resting/napping and going to bed early.

JC74 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:21:23

I'm still wavering. Had a couple of good days at work this week but I am really tired again. Spending my afternoons resting/napping and going to bed early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now