Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Placenta praevia at 28 weeks - reassurance needed?

(10 Posts)
tinkerbell666 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:07:08

I had a major pp, not good, 4 big bleeds, emcs at 37 weeks after a bleed, my placenta was also at the front so it had to be cut through to reach baby !

Boogles91 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:18:07

What does it mean if u have that pp or a low lying one :s im a first time mummy to be and still new with certain things smile just wondered cos if it crops up iwill have the knowledge on them then smile and i wont worry myself stoopid >.< x

Windywinston Thu 06-Mar-14 17:09:07

Thank you all, it's reassuring to know that this has happened to other people and has moved back out of the way again.

My friend has just gone through this almost exact scenario. She was scanned on Friday and has the go ahead for a vaginal birth. She was worried that it was moving down but all is fine now.

pinkpeoniesplease Tue 04-Mar-14 08:16:53

I had this; had final scan last week at 35 weeks.
At 34 week scan they did an internal scan and said the placenta was 1.5cm away and would mean a caesarean. I had to go in the following week and be scanned by the consultant. The consultant didn't do an internal scan but said it was 2.5cm away (7 days later!) and that she recommended normal delivery. The only things was we can no longer have a home birth due to risk of bleeding.
In summary; please don't worry until you've seen a consultant! I've seen ladies on here who have turned up the day of their section and been scanned only to find the placenta has moved and they've been sent home again!

cathpip Tue 04-Mar-14 08:02:06

My low lying placenta was picked up at the 12 week scan, at the 20 week scan it had moved down and is now touching the cervix. I have a scan tomorrow I am 35 weeks. I am not fussed but then I am also having an elcs. Most placentas do move out of the way, so try not to worry. I am rather hoping that my placenta has slipped further and that they will section me earlier, can you tell that I have had enough of pregnancy smile

missmargot Mon 03-Mar-14 22:15:03

I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks, then had some follow up scans and it had moved by 35 weeks and didn't affect delivery at all.

Windywinston Mon 03-Mar-14 22:14:51

It's 1cm away from the opening, so I would hope it will move, but it seems odd to me that it wasn't that low at the 20week scan?

Congrats on your baby! Hope your recovery is going well.

You need to find out if it's just low lying or if it's placenta previa. I had a previa (grade 3) at 28 weeks and it didn't move. Had a c sections 5 weeks ago at 37w

If it's just low lying I believe the chances are it'll move.

Windywinston Mon 03-Mar-14 22:05:04

I had a growth scan today at 28 weeks and all was fine except that the placenta is low lying, but this wasn't noted at the 20 week scan. Is it possible that the placenta has moved down?

I have another growth scan booked for 34 weeks, so they said they'd check it again then, but surely if the placenta is has moved down it can't switch direction. Has anyone experienced similar and found at 34-36 weeks that all was ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now