Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HCG levels

(13 Posts)
inmybelly Fri 28-Feb-14 15:31:40

I'm 5w3d and had my 2nd HCG blood test today. Had the test done due to an episode of severe pain on Monday, which now appears to have been a one off (thank god!) but the early pregnancy service here is amazing and has been keeping a close eye on me anyway.

My levels on wed were 2978 and today they are 5124. Which is a rise of 72.1%. Apparently anything between 66-100% is considered normal over 48 hours.

BUT, in my paranoid/over-analytical/slightly irrational state (something I'm not usually, but have become since the day I had a BFP) I couldn't help thinking the lady who gave me the news almost sounded a bit disappointed by the rise, as if it was a bit slow. She said "it hasn't doubled but it has risen" and then arranged for me to come in for a scan on weds, when I'll be 6w1d.

I guess in her line of work you can't go around congratulating people at the first sign of good news, and her job is to remain impartial and non-committal rather than get my hopes up.

But I guess what I'm looking for is some non-impartial opinions on my HCG rise!!! What do you think? How do mine compare to yours? Can they still rise in this fashion in a pregnancy that will miscarry later on?

(Oh lord... I think I'm slowly losing my mind!)

thewalrus Fri 28-Feb-14 21:34:15

From what I remember - the main thing is that they are rising. Doubling is certainly reassuring, the fact that they're not doubling isn't necessarily a bad sign. I think it's a bad sign if they get slower, but obviously you can't tell that from 2 tests.
I have had 2 pregnancies - in the first my HCG levels were rising, but not doubling - outcome was healthy DD1 (I can remember all too well the days of anxious googling/trying to read people's voices etc - it's awful). 2nd pregnancy the levels were more than doubling and I had twins.
I hope that's a little bit reassuring - early pregnancy is horribly worrying - I really hope it works out for you.

ladythatlunches Fri 28-Feb-14 21:52:28

mine didn't double infact hardly did anything. convinced I was having a mc. the amount of scans and blood test I had were ridiculous.

anywho it turned out to be twins. . who are now 2 tucked up in bed fast asleep. smile

inmybelly Sat 01-Mar-14 09:02:36

Thank you, that's really good to hear. And incredible that your 'slow rise' turned out to be twins!! I bet that was the last thing you expected!

It's interesting because on several websites it explains that figures starting below 1200 should increase by double every
2-3 days, but figures below 6000 should increase by 60% every 2-3 days. So that makes mine above average if anything!

I think the ladies at the early pregnancy unit must be so accustomed to giving bad news that they have learned it's better not to say how good or bad an test result is because it's so hard to predict the final outcome either way.

I'm having the scan on weds where the main focus is to check it's not an EP. So I've already agreed with my boyfriend that I shall not obsess over seeing a heartbeat, but simply that the egg sack is in the correct place!!!

ladythatlunches Sat 01-Mar-14 12:04:28

its such a stressful time because only time will tell.

I used to buy the digital tests to see if it went from 1-2 2-3 3-4
mine didn't.

they told me to expect a mc but I just new for some reason I wasn't.

after soooo many scans of not seeing anything and slow rises some times only going up like 60 digits I had another scan about 6ish weeks and two little heartbeats.

I googled loads and really not everyone doubles.

yes huge shock because was told none too having 2 smile

good luck

Marrow Sat 01-Mar-14 12:10:27

I had slow rising HCG levels and was told I had a non viable pregnancy and it was either ectopic or I would miscarry. The non viable pregnancy is currently charging around the living room.

Ironically my HCG levels doubled with both my ectopics. I would take the fact that you have had a good rise as a positive sign. There is an HCG calculator somewhere online that I found useful. Sorry unable to look for it now but will come back later if you haven't found it. Best of luck with everything.

inmybelly Sat 01-Mar-14 12:13:50

Thank you for those stories, it's really good to hear. I feel so much more positive today than I did yesterday.

I found the babymed calculator which was very reassuring too, basically says my rise is normal.

Think I'm driving my boyfriend bonkers with talks of HCG, scans and ectopic pregnancies!! His gut feeling is that everything will be fine.

ladythatlunches Sat 01-Mar-14 12:54:04

go with your gut smile

I was the same, in fact im sure there are old posts on here from me asking the exact same thing smile

Marrow Wed 05-Mar-14 18:48:22

Been thinking about you and hoping that you got good news at your scan today.

inmybelly Thu 06-Mar-14 02:48:58

Hi Marrow, thank you for thinking of me! The scan went really well, the heartbeat was clearly visible and she thinks my dates are about right!

Such a relief! They think the pain must have been due to a 5x6cm cyst on my ovary, which they aren't too concerned about but will monitor.

So now I can have a good old worry about that rather than the embryo, for a few days at least!! Have aided this by googling 'ovarian cysts in pregnancy' and reading lots of stories about them twisting, bursting, getting in the way of the baby's head, being removed after 12 weeks (along with the ovary itself) and, in some circumstances, turning out to be cancer!!

Ahh, there's nothing like a good bit of obsessive googling!

(Not really that worried to be honest, the scan lady was very reassuring smile )

HarderToKidnap Thu 06-Mar-14 07:49:43

What sort of cyst is it? At that size they will probably want to remove it after yoube given birth, providing it doesn't give you any trouble in the pregnancy. I had some pain in the first few weeks after conception and they found a small dermoid cyst of about 6 x 6 and had it removed when DS was about 9 mo old.

Marrow Thu 06-Mar-14 17:58:04

So pleased to hear everything is ok. smilesmileHope you can relax now and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

inmybelly Thu 06-Mar-14 22:15:37

Cheers Marrow. Feel much more relaxed about it now. Positive thinking from here on in!

Harder, they told me it's a simple fluid filled cyst. Common in preg but mine is on the large side. She said how it presents at the 12 week scan will help determine whether they leave it or remove it.

It's weird. I never had any pain on the right side (if anything, any crampy pains were either central or to the left) but since know I have this cyst I can't help feeling pain on the right side too. That's the power of suggestion for you!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now