Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vulval varicose veins

(23 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Wed 26-Feb-14 18:33:43

Ahhh I've just looked and there they are. Two monstrous, thick, blue veins on my vulva. I've been having a real feeling of aching there for a week or so but now I know why. Gross. Should I be worried? I'm seeing the MW tomorrow and am having an elcs in 6 weeks.

32+1

Parliamo Wed 26-Feb-14 18:38:48

The joys of pregnancy!! When I had one and looked into it dr google threw up bursting one during labour as an extremely remote possibility. But if you're elc no worries there! I found I was much more comfortable once I was on mat leave and off my feet.

dats Wed 26-Feb-14 18:44:37

I'm 32+1 too (race ya) and I've been curious about these buggers. I have a real heaviness in my fanjo at times, and it feels sort of spongy(!) along the outer edges, but not all the time. I had a look yesterday confused and couldn't see any blue, but it might have been a bit lumpier than usual.

As far as I know, you can wear support pants if they're really bothering you, try and not stay on your feet for long periods (easier said than done, obvs). They shouldn't affect the birth and should go away after.

Still, the glamour, eh?

learnermummy Wed 26-Feb-14 18:48:40

Awful isn't it. I can confirm that they do go away after birth. 8 months on now and I'm perfectly normal again down there grin.

Tea1Sugar Wed 26-Feb-14 18:57:29

Are they common? I don't have any on my legs...yet. 1.5 more weeks of work then I will try and keep my feet up as much as a three year old will allow!

GreatSoprendo Wed 26-Feb-14 19:01:23

I had them too - worse in the evenings when you've been on your feet all day. But yes, I can happily confirm they quickly disappear of their own accord smile

Tea1Sugar Wed 26-Feb-14 19:05:08

Yep definitely more uncomfortable by the end of the day. I'm a teacher so on my feet all day. I've had my legs up for ten mins now and already the discomfort is easing. Yay to yet another joy of pregnancy.

beginnings Wed 26-Feb-14 19:16:07

I had them with DD2 and awful varicose veins on my legs. People scared me with all sorts but mainly that I'd get piles. I didn't. The vulval ones went almost as soon as Dd2 arrived and the ones on my legs had all gone by about 8 weeks.

allisgood1 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:32:49

I had them and didn't know until dr was stitching me and said. They've gone now!

Tea1Sugar Wed 26-Feb-14 23:15:35

Well these varicose veins blighters combined with spd. My fanny is SO sore :-(

dats Thu 27-Feb-14 00:31:25

Tea, I have SPD as well. Great, innit? 8 weeks to go. Wait, only 8 WEEKS until...? Shiiiiit! shock

Tea1Sugar Thu 27-Feb-14 04:47:35

Dats, ahh! I've got 7 weeks until my section. SHIT!!

singlespeedlass Thu 27-Feb-14 07:17:40

Tea1Sugar - are you me?!?!!! I am a preg teacher with spd and vulval varicose veins... Sadly, I have considerably more than 8 weeks to go - boooo.

dats Thu 27-Feb-14 14:00:33

It's almost enough to start our own thread about throbbing fanjos and grinding pelvises (pelvii?) grin

singlespeedlass Thu 27-Feb-14 15:40:30

Fanji?? Vulval varicose veins really are the great unreal led about in pregnancy eh? My midwife winced and looked away when I showed her! Thanks for that....

singlespeedlass Thu 27-Feb-14 15:41:20

Unreal led?

I mean un talked about obvs!

dats Thu 27-Feb-14 15:50:11

Obv! [beam]

I like fanji. Oh. That sounds well wrong. smile

And you've SHOWED SOMEONE YOUR VVs? I am in awe!

dats Thu 27-Feb-14 15:50:33

beam? where did I get that from?!

Tea1Sugar Thu 27-Feb-14 16:57:17

I saw the MW today and described my veiny friends to her, didn't show them bleughh and she said how common they are. Yay. Doesn't mean I fracking want them!

Sadly mine are very much still present and correct 20 months on. Bit scared this pregnancy will cause a whole load more to appear...nothing to do and my babies are worth it.

Jujubee24 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:50:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

singlespeedlass Thu 27-Feb-14 19:47:47

I've found that I'm pretty uninhibited having given birth!! I find witch hazel gel slathered on every morning helps.

HannahG315 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:12:26

I have them too... blush

Support pants, maternity pads- HUGE cushionsy ones and legs raised.

Really struggled with mine, thought I'd had a prolapse!!! But midwives recommended the above and I felt a lot of relieve after a day or two.

Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now