Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

maternity clothes - how much do we actually need?

(47 Posts)
twinklestar2 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:09:21

I'm due in August and have brought the following:

3 long sleeved tops
2 pairs of skinny jeans
4 jersey skater dresses
A skirt with a stretchy waistband (non maternity)

I work full time in an office and my company is prob on the casual side of smart casual,eg, today I wore jersey dress, jacket and long boots. We also have dress down day once a week, hence the jeans.

Do I need much more?

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Tue 25-Feb-14 23:17:29

I do get that if clothes are your thing then you might want to get a wider variety of stuff rather than go for the hair shirt bare minimum. I found H&M good for quirky cheap stuff that relieved me from the tyranny of the sensible capsule wardrobe choice. But I'd still say wait as long as possible to get stuff (unless it's super cheap in a sale) because if you buy early and it doesn't work with your particular pg shape you'll be annoyed.

ShoeWhore Tue 25-Feb-14 23:25:50

I was very pg in the summer 3 times and was very glad I had under bump mat jeans - would have been boiling in over the bump ones. (also they fitted from earlier and were OK to wear immediately post birth as well)

With each pg I wore less and less actual maternity wear and more normal clothes in bigger sizes (again bear in mind you may want some slightly bigger clothes for a little while after the birth). And YY to sharing stuff with friends. It can get very boring otherwise!

HannahG315 Wed 26-Feb-14 00:00:54

Oh yeah the coat! You need a big coat! The styles aren't great though, nor warm enough... A lot of trench coats I seem to recall...

I just got a nice duffel one in a size 16, has done me and will do me after too! smile

dizhin79 Wed 26-Feb-14 00:14:56

am 38 weeks and still in normal clothes! am quite tall though so bub has room to go upwards rather than out, is wait to buy any more as you never know how you'll feel with what you're wearing, you may prefer over bump or under bump

CrispyFB Wed 26-Feb-14 08:57:44

Isabella Oliver is on Zulily today loads cheaper than retail. I'm nearly 36 weeks with my last so no use to me now but I bought quite a lot of lovely stuff earlier in pregnancy this way!

MummyPig24 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:49:16

I bought 2 pairs of maternity jeans, a pair of leggings and 5 maternity tops. I had quite a few dresses that have continued to be suitable. I'm due in 2ish weeks, and have found that everything I've bought or already had has been fine. I didn't want to spend loads of money on clothes that I would only wear for a few months.

HannahG315 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:09:23

Why is it that maternity clothes only seem to be stripy tops?? Or is that my imagination..

eurochick Wed 26-Feb-14 11:13:03

I'm due in August too and finding it really hard. I've ordered some maternity stuff as I am showing already and bursting out of my normal clothes, but the mat stuff is vast!

So far I've ordered:
-2 wrap tops (fine as they will grow with me, but it's bottoms I am desperate for)
-1 black pencil skirt for work (huge, going back)
-2 dresses for work (both big, one is definitely going back, I might keep the other and hope I grow into it soonish)

I have another delivery due today of 3 dresses and a pair of work trousers which I hope will be more successful.

I'm hoping to manage without a new coat, given the timing.

Spaghettinetti Wed 26-Feb-14 12:56:24

I agree with Princess Watermelon. I already feel a scruff with my ever expanding chin and greying hair, so I wasn't prepared to compromise on clothing.

I've found that the most important thing is to have lots of pairs of leggings. I've got 4 pairs (and that's still not enough) and I can wear them with long tops and dresses. I'm now 30 weeks and very little from my pre-pregnancy wardrobe still fits me, so I've had to buy quite a bit...

I've bought about 8 dresses, 2 from Mothercare, 2 from JoJo (both of which are unbelievably comfortable and at about £30 each, I don't think that they were too expensive) and another 3 or 4 from Debenhams (Red Herring Maternity) which I managed to get for around £8-10 each in the sale. I've also got a few things from Monsoon which I've bought in a bigger size. In addition, I've bought 2 pairs of Next harem pants and a few big tops and t-shirts which I found in the sales.

I've found maternity tights to be horrible sweaty things and I can't seem to find any that fit me properly. Personally, I've preferred to wear either leggings of knee-high/long socks under my dresses.

I've tried to follow the same rules that I follow whilst shopping when not pregnant - that's to buy things that I like, rather than thinking I need x amount of tops/dresses. I would say, that if you find something really comfy, it's worth buying two...

HelenHen Wed 26-Feb-14 14:33:40

Eurochick I find it highly unlikely you'd need a coat! Ds was July and I didn't, dc2 due in April and I'm still wearing a couple of my normal coats.

GreenShadow Wed 26-Feb-14 14:45:09

I didn't get very big at all with all three DC, and therefore could carry on wearing a lot of my 'normal' tops. I would therefore recomend that you leave off buying too much until you know if you'll really need it.

BlanketSky Wed 26-Feb-14 18:53:55

make sure you save some money for about 30 weeks when nothing fits and you feel like ugh.. from experience.. <this

and bear in mind how hot you'll get- I went to work today in flip flops, a cotton skirt, long sleeved top and a cardi, and still felt warm! Admittedly in a centrally heated school but still...

Depends how you carry too, which you won't know yet. My bump is a completely different shape this time, which has meant I've been able to wear non-maternity tops longer but also that certain styles don't work at all!

30 weeks and counting here....

Vikkijayne2507 Thu 27-Feb-14 01:54:18

leggings leggings leggins all the way I used my maternity jeans twice as they are just too uncomfortable to wear,
large pyjama top and bottoms a size or 2 up from usual.
maternity swimsuit
and a large coat doesnt need to be maternity for me.
I cant have any tight trousers as ts sets of my braxton hicks and so uncomfy.
I have found long tops that are stetchy with maternity shirts over them look nice and can be dressed up or down.
If buying shirts get a couple of extra sizes as my boobs went bananas and struggle to fit in a lot of tops i bought at 20 weeks.

I agree im getting bored with a lot of the clothes but cant justify buying more.
34 + 1 weeks

Plateofcrumbs Thu 27-Feb-14 04:01:22

In a fit of exuberance any excuse to buy clothes I bought a few dresses in the asos sale (I live in dresses normally) which I think may have been a mistake as they're going to be way too voluminous to wear until I get a proper bump on.

Maternity jeans/trousers have already been a great investment - have been living in them since about 12 weeks. Stretchy tops are also handy right from the early days - actually I can still easily fit in normal stretchy tops for now but being tall I appreciate the fact that maternity wear is cut long, so they work well with the low cut on maternity trousers for me, otherwise I'd have a big gap.

I'm still managing just fine with normal leggings and tights so I'm holding off buying maternity versions.

amandine07 Thu 27-Feb-14 17:56:33

PrincessWatermelon
I'm totally with you on this one! grin

Yes pregnancy is a relatively short space of time but for me, I wanted to be comfortable but also look good- being pg is hard enough!

I wore my own clothes til about 23 weeks- I remember buying some Topshop skinny maternity jeans & it was such a relief to feel so comfortable but also to still look like 'me' in the same style of jeans (rather than the shapeless horrors I'd tried on in other shops!)

Also I found that larger sizes just swamped me; I looked huge & shapeless and didn't feel great

I ended up buying:

1 tankini for the swimming pool
6 non wired maternity/nursing bras- such a relief to wear a comfortable bra again! From M&S came in pairs & all on special offer
4 maternity briefs- only wore these post natal, had a CS
6 tops & 1 vest
3 dresses- one 'going out' one, another 2 that were ok for both work & wearing out
3 maternity cardigans- these were a guilty pleasure! Mainly wore my normal cardigans but these were over half price on sale plus I reasoned that they were suitable to wear after!

That's my tally...I think it all depends on what you're comfortable in & how much you have to spend.

I'm still wearing a lot of my maternity stuff, it feels so comfortable! So really have got about 6 months or so solid use with these clothes so far

mewkins Thu 27-Feb-14 18:12:37

This pregnancy I have only bought 2 pairs of black over bump skinny trousers (a tenner each with codes from h and m) and 4 pairs of opaque tights £2 each in sainsburys sale. That's it for me. I have a few tops from last time am refusing to buy more. I will make good use of the money once on mat leave and desperate for some nice treats so am saving like mad. It is strangely liberating having just a few things to choose from!

MielPop Sun 02-Mar-14 18:30:59

i hardly got anything, managed with all my normal tops and even my coat still fits, but definitly needed the 2 maternity jeans that I got, as I don't want any pressure on the baby from tight pants.

Evie2014 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:30:33

I'd say that one good pair of proper black maternity trousers (not jeans) will be invaluable for you. Get a pair in light material so you can wear them through the summer. They will get you through so many situations from work to going out to even casual if you need them. Then you just have to layer tops.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 03-Mar-14 09:38:07

A good pair of trousers (try h & m) will see you through the days you have no energy to shave and just need to wear something that holds it all together.
Maternity leggings or pajamas - I couldn't have done without them at home esp when bump grew too big for normal bottoms.
Oh and definitely a back support belt- I had one from Mothercare and it was an essential!!
Try eBay- I got quite a few things there as maternity clothes are used for only a few months anyway so you get them in great condition usually.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 03-Mar-14 09:40:05

Oh and if this August is anything like last year, cotton sleeveless tops and a short maternity skirt!
IME also there comes a time where you can't tolerate trousers and jeans anymore ie as they don't stretch and even that little bit of pressure under the bump is v uncomfortable.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 03-Mar-14 09:43:15

Lifesaver- black stretchy maternity skirt from mamas and papas, bought for £15 on sale. My god. I have worn that more than any other article or clothing, ever. It was basically just a band of jersey, long enough to come to the knees.
<<sighs thinking about it>>

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 03-Mar-14 09:43:51

But double jersey so it didn't show VPL etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now