Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone know how long you have to stay in hospital after a csection?

(19 Posts)
sdaisy26 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:46:39

Emcs at 10.30 am on Friday morning, home Sunday afternoon so 2 nights. Pain relief wise I probably should have stayed 1 more night but I wanted to be home.

Blueberry234 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:43:23

I had emcs at 1030pm and was discharged at 10pm 3 nights later, took that long to manage to escape

chocolatedrops31 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:02:26

Thank you all, really helpful

Strongecoffeeismydrug Wed 19-Feb-14 20:06:36

I had a planned c section 2 weeks ago and I was home 24 hours latergrin.
Unless there is a problem with baby or yourself then you can go home after 24 hours or stay upto 2 full days , your choice

Longlive2014 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:04:29

Wow, I was up out of bed in 8 hours and out in 23 hours!

MummyLuce Wed 19-Feb-14 18:03:01

One night! Emergency c section at 11am Thursday, home 5pm Friday. I asked to leave earlier though as hospital food was shit and wanted to go home!

I was in for two nights.
Take some ear plugs, and snacks.

Good luck with your twins smile

Oldandcobwebby Wed 19-Feb-14 17:51:57

My wife (at age 44) had a c section on a Friday night at 6pm. Went home on the Sunday morning. I was amazed at how soon she was home.

CrispyFB Wed 19-Feb-14 17:47:17

Usually two nights unless there are complications with you or baby. I had three nights with DC2 as she was a 35 weeker and they wanted to be sure her blood sugar had stabilised.

If baby only has mild issues like that they're okay with you staying in a little longer for logistics reasons but if baby is totally fine usually you are booted out at two nights at the four hospitals I've been involved with.

I imagine it might be three nights if you had the section late in the day too.

No place I have ever been would even consider a one night stay, more is the pity. Which is unfortunate as although I never felt well enough the following morning (from an AM c-section) - I usually felt okay by the evening.

hubbahubster Wed 19-Feb-14 16:48:08

Three days, two nights with a planned CS. I was climbing the walls by the end of day 2 and desperate to go home! A lot will depend on how well you are and how well baby feeds – I felt under loads of pressure to make sure the midwives saw DS feeding before they would allow me to leave.

Also the food was bleeding' awful and other people were keeping me awake all night so I didn't feel it was the best environment to recover in!

Stevie77 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:43:10

It will depend on how you feel, my advice based on my experience is to ask for whatever you want whether it's to stay or leave.

When you do leave, do not go in the evening. It was hell coming back home late in the evening, just when baby starts fussing, being all sore and rather unwell from the section does not help settling back at home. In my case it took the ward ages to get everything sorted, all paperwork, meds, discharge etc. & in hindsight I should have said I'm not going as it's taking too long.

Fairypants Wed 19-Feb-14 15:58:04

My colleagues dw had a planned section for twins and he picked her up in the evening the following day. I suspect she was anxious to leave ASAP though as they already have a toddler.

MrsReacher85 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:34:50

I had an emergency section on the Thursday lunchtime and was home on Saturday afternoon.

rightsaidfred Wed 19-Feb-14 15:34:40

Where I am the rule is 3 days. If you have the CS before midday then that counts as day 1. Having said that I was home after less than 24 hours the first time (their mistake) and the second time I made it my mission to show them how well I was doing ( up and showered and dressed etc) so they had no good reason to keep me! I went home the second evening. Might want to keep you longer with twins though?

Andcake Wed 19-Feb-14 15:31:56

planned c-section 2 nights - it was all good. The first night you can't move because of the cathater (sp) but after that's out life's a bit easier.

dannydyerismydad Wed 19-Feb-14 15:31:40

I was asked to leave on day 4. They were expecting me to ask to go home (that's what most people do, apparently), I was waiting to be told what to do!

In hindsight, 4 days was about right for me. I was in hospital when my milk came in, so loads of BF support if I needed it. It also gave me time to learn how to manage my body and pain relief post section.

AnitaBlake Wed 19-Feb-14 15:30:09

It was two nights as standard when I had DD2.

CitrusyOne Wed 19-Feb-14 15:27:59

Dd was emergency c-section and I was only in overnight.

chocolatedrops31 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:27:26

I'm due to have a c section for twins and I was told by the doctors that i would be in for 2 nights (assuming there are no complications). However within the hospital leaflet it says most stays are 4 nights?? I wondered if anyone has experience of this or if it just varies according to the hospital? I want to be out as early as possible as I don't want to be away from my 2 year old for too long...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now