Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

heartburn is killing me at 32 weeks pregnant! Help!

(32 Posts)
plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:14:23

Does anybody have any wonder cures! I know its pretty normal but barely slept last night and have had it all day and
it just gets worse nearer bedtime! Im going through alot of gaviscon but doesnt seem to do much for longer than a few minutes! :-(

iloveweetos Sun 16-Feb-14 22:15:55

I'm 33 weeks on Tuesday and feeling the exact same. Endless glasses of milk, Rennies and still have heartburn. It's horrible sad

Propping up the head of the bed helps (ours lived on piles of cosmopolitan mags), but generally it's shit.

Dappydongle Sun 16-Feb-14 22:19:50

This is a symptom of pre eclampsia so you should get your bp checked.

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:21:27

I just never suffered before being pregnant. I have a v pillow which helps but find myself on the sofa at 2am! Haha i guess its just one of those things but driving me insane!

madamginger Sun 16-Feb-14 22:23:06

I found milk and melon helped (obv not together!)

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:25:32

I just never suffered before being pregnant. I have a v pillow which helps but find myself on the sofa at 2am! Haha i guess its just one of those things but driving me insane!

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:27:23

Didnt mean to post twice! Thank you will try anything....melon sounds quite good right now! Haha!

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:29:37

Thanks dappydongle, i had a check on thurs and all was ok unless its likely to change that dramatically in a couple of days...not sure as its never been mentioned to me before!

SomethingOnce Sun 16-Feb-14 22:31:14

I found trying to sleep sort of sitting up propped on pillows helped a bit.

Cezzieb Sun 16-Feb-14 22:31:23

I found a glass of milk helped. I also ended up going to the doctors and getting a prescription for gaviscon (liquid is much better than chewable tablets!!!)

sweetkitty Sun 16-Feb-14 22:32:18

Wonder cure is omaperazole from the doctors, I've had it 3 times and one little tablet in the morning keeps it at bay for the entire day (I had acid reflux at well).

ThoughtsPlease Sun 16-Feb-14 22:35:02

I found gaviscon tablets to be better than the liquid.

LocalEditorLancashire Sun 16-Feb-14 22:36:30

I found ice cream helped to soothe the burning long enough for me to get too sleep

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:38:02

Im on the liquid so might try the tabs if it doesnt improve.. will definately try upright sleeping....anythibg for some actual sleep! Ha!

SinkyMalinks Sun 16-Feb-14 22:38:08

Omeprazole.

Amazing stuff.

MrsDeVere Sun 16-Feb-14 22:40:24

It gets worse the more babies you have (IME) so by DC5 I was really suffering sad

I used to wake myself up by being sick ewwww.

Things that helped

Not eating after about 6 pm
Not eating anything that triggered it e.g pickle, onions, anything remotely spicy. Sticking to mega bland foods really.
I used those chewy indigestion tablets/sweets I can't remember what they were called now (sorry) but they were not the chalky ones. They are a well known brand. They were a lot better than gaviscon.
Milk at bedtime.
Sleeping virtually upright, propped up with pillows.

Oh the JOY of giving birth and being able to eat a cheese and pickle sandwich a few hours later (homebirth).

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:44:11

Ahhh thank you so much everyone...glad to know im not the only 1! I will definately ask about the omeprazole too. I think im prob eating a little to late in the evening compared to my bedtime so will make that earlier too! Anything pickle related brings on the heartburn at just the thought!

Mishmashfamily Sun 16-Feb-14 22:47:39

Ah god ! I felt like I was breathing fire out of my nose - that wasn't heartburn there was a fucking volcano exploding .

Sleep sitting up.

Stay the fuck away from bacon and pastry

May the force be with you !

Gaviscon dual action were good.

TheDetective Sun 16-Feb-14 22:47:46

I had ranitidine prescribed.

Wonderful stuff.

Did the job, and kept it at bay for 24 hours. smile

Gaviscon is shit. grin

plokett1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:50:13

Im definately making a trip back to my gp! Im not eating much as the thought of food makes the heartburn worse but im guessing the lack of food isnt helping matters either!

Jolleigh Sun 16-Feb-14 22:53:54

I'm in love with omeprazole. Really helped me...I could barely eat anything before my doc wrote me the prescription.

Addictedtomaltesers Sun 16-Feb-14 23:02:50

Get yourself to the supermarket and get some of those kids tube strawberry yoghurts. Squeeze a good mouthful into your mouth and swallow it really slowly smile

I discovered this at 38 weeks pregnant and it's brilliant for calming it just long enough to get to sleep slightly propped up.

CrispyFB Sun 16-Feb-14 23:37:31

Yeah, omeprazole is the miracle cure you're looking for! I had heartburn from 6 weeks with this one (never really had it before) and am now 35 weeks. Gaviscon wasn't touching it, nothing OTC was. Got an omeprazole prescription and it just went. Every so often I try going without it to see what happens but within a few hours of a missed dose, the poker in my throat is back!

I'm just hoping it is just pregnancy causing it and it goes after the birth..

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sun 16-Feb-14 23:45:27

Ranitidine - I could have kissed the doctor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now