Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help re. weight gain

(16 Posts)
moomin35 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:11:38

I have just been looking at online pregnancy weight calculators that tell me I am above the avergae weight gain and now I feel really worried, I must be in denial because I wasnt aware I was THAT big!
I am 25 weeks and currently weigh exactly 1.5 stone more than when I was firts pregnant - is this loads? too much?

PuppyMummy Sat 15-Feb-14 17:20:37

im 25 weeks and hav put on about 2 stone. I ate very carefully and ran a lot before I got pregnant, now I can just about manage to walk the dog and am generally extremely hungry so I am not suprised by the weight gain!

im not too concerned because I have only gone up one dress size and baby is measuring fine.

FlumpieWumpie Sat 15-Feb-14 17:37:38

I'd try not to worry about it. I went from 9.7stone (before pregnant) to almost 13stone! Felt huge. And was fairly huge! Though not fat. Don't think I ate silly amounts, but probably ate more than should.
Anyway, within 20 days of giving birth I'd lost over 18lb and with breastfeeding was back to 9.7stone within 2 months. (NB. I wasn't eating enough probably and could only bf for 3 months before stopped producing - so eating is very important). Sadly 8 years later, am slightly heavier! I was a first time mum, so think panic and the unknown contributed to weight loss so quickly. Please don't worry and really don't compare yourself to other pregnant people. Everyone is different.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 15-Feb-14 17:50:07

Try not to worry. Try to eat healthily (if appetite, sickness, etc are allowing you) and beyond that, what will be will be.

RaRa1988 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:47:09

I'm 23+3 and 9 pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight. I asked my midwife at an appt at 21 weeks about weight gain, and she said she would expect at least 10-14 pounds by that point, and not to worry unless I'd gained two stone (which would be a lot on my frame!)! I reckon you're just fine - and I'm sure your GP or midwife would point it out if not. Do you feel healthy and energetic? Are you eating well and exercising? Are you at any risk of gestational diabetes? If your answers are yes, yes, and no, I'd say not to worry. This weight gain calculator you've been looking at will be based on the average, and to get an average, some people have to gain more and others less smile

Tea1Sugar Sat 15-Feb-14 19:29:39

I'm 30+4 and have put on two stone. Pre pregnancy I was 8st4lbs so to read the scales at currently 10st4lbs I hate it!!

Trooperslane Sat 15-Feb-14 19:40:28

I only put on 12lbs (was v av weight beforehand) and am now half a feckin stone heavier 6 months post birth, in spite of my dd who doesn't sleep in the feckin house during the day (so I walk about 20 mikes a week!)

I also didn't get weighed from my booking appointment til I was about 36 weeks - I suppose I'm saying everyone's different and if you're feeling ok it doesn't matter.

Congrats thanks

Trooperslane Sat 15-Feb-14 19:42:07

*miles. Not 20 Mikes. I couldn't cope with them to walk as well as dd.

at 39w I have put on 18kg since booking in appt. I outbin similar amount, if not more, with dc1 but I lost all the weight and then some more by 3 months post birth. I bf ds and ate a LOT of cake so I am not worried about it this time. my mw was concerned and referred me to z colsultant shock consultant said there was no need to worry and to proceed with home birth grin

cathpip Sat 15-Feb-14 20:00:43

I have put on 5 stone, am 34 weeks! But I did the same with my last two children, it comes off my midwife is not worried as this is usual pregnancy weight gain for me.

Mummabear12 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:52:02

I have put on 12lbs since being pregnant at 30w today! Can't do any exercise due to spd sad calculators say mines low but no one professional sees it as a problem and bump is measuring ahead so I wouldn't worry x

blueshoes Sun 16-Feb-14 10:45:43

I put on 3 stone on my 7 stone petite frame for both my pregnancies. I lost it within 12m for dc1 and within 3m for dc2. Obviously looking after a baby and pre-schooler is more difficult than just looking after a baby.

Unless you are stuffing your face unnecessarily, try not to worry too much. The time of getting it back under control is after the baby is born.

LadyGoneGaga Sun 16-Feb-14 19:51:11

I am 21 weeks and have put on 2 stone. I gained a lot in my first two pregnancies as well but it all came off within 6 months so trying not to stress although would have loved not to end up so heavy! Oh well.

Evie2014 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:54:19

22 weeks and have put on 18 kilos. About 40 pounds. DCDA twins though. Doc or midwives not in the slightest bit worried. Actually feel fine and don't look huge... Just a bit further along than 22 weeks would suggest! Not eating that much and very active job. Apparently it's the two sacs and placentas business.

Just thought I'd put that in there so everyone else can feel a little better! wink

rebeccax2 Mon 17-Feb-14 05:03:48

27 weeks and have put on 8kg or stone and a quarter. Feeling okay about it as I seem to gain in spurts like the baby. :-)

whereisshe Mon 17-Feb-14 05:27:58

I put on nearly 4 stone with my pregnancy (I was 9st 4 pre pregnancy). DD is now 8 weeks and I've already lost 2.5 stone so it's coming off faster than it went on.

My midwife wasn't at all concerned - she said its quite normal and that I should ignore the weight gain calculators as they're outdated and a bit dangerous (women used to be put on diuretics if they gained too much - not a good idea if you want to grow a healthy baby!!).

As long as you eat to appetite and don't eat crap it's just the weight your body needs to sustain pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now