Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Underbump or overbump work trousers?

(58 Posts)
Misscocopops Wed 12-Feb-14 20:02:04

Hi Ladies,

I know this will probably be more of a personal choice thing but I am needing a pair of maternity work trousers.

I am only 8 weeks gone so at the moment its more massive bloating over bump but I know bloat will soon be bump so just going to get a pair anyway to stay comfy.

So do I order overbump or underbump? Any advice is going to be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Becibec Mon 24-Mar-14 08:40:59

I'm 5ft 11 and now 39 +5. I think the under v's over bump thing does depend on height. I bought overbump all the way through, but did roll the elastic bit down at the start until about 20 weeks.
ASOS is probably the worst site I found for tall maternity as the bodies of all the tops are so short. That with under bump trousers would have been upsetting for all. I ended up buying mini dresses from topshop and using them as tops. Gap is awesome for tops.
Work trousers - as soon as you get pregnant is seems you're expected to go to work in leggings and t-shirts (not ok where I work). Next has been my favourite for long trousers in maternity, only discovered them at 30 weeks and wish I'd found it earlier!

randdom Sun 23-Mar-14 17:31:15

I have over bump ones. Really comfy and supportive

misog2000 Sun 23-Mar-14 12:42:44

Let's buy the same ones weebairn, you can cut the bottom off yours and post it to me to sew on lol

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:42:24

Indeed, I buy short trousers and still have to turn them up smile And let's not even get started on the fact the high street thinks no one has boobs bigger than a fecking C cup!

WOMEN ARE MORE SHAPES AND SIZES THAN YOU THINK, HIGH STREET!

SirChenjin Sat 22-Mar-14 20:42:19

Overbump. I found the under bump ones cut into the bump and I was constantly hoiking them up as they seemed to slip down my bum. Plus I occasionally flashed a big, white, veiny stomach which wasn't nice for the poor, unsuspectinng viewer.

greentshirt Sat 22-Mar-14 20:39:34

haha, im 5'10 and its one of my biggest frustrations in life when shops say they do a longer length and its 32" !!

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:38:09

(but their models are all 5'11" grumble grumble)

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:36:21

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_103020583960_-1

I think these were the ones I had last pregnancy, they do long & short lengths too

Asos don't seem to do long in maternity after all, sorry.

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:33:26

Sorry, I am a midget, I have no idea! I think red herring and asos do long lengths though

greentshirt Sat 22-Mar-14 20:31:55

How long are your legs Misog? Mine are 34" inside and I found most shops fine, but im happy with skinnies, so they can be a bit shorter. If I wanted anything bootcut (so needed longer) it would have only been long tall sally

weebairn, asos is ok if you arent short, but being 'tall' is different, once you are 5'8 and above you only have about 3 shops to choose from for trousers in general, let alone once you add maternity into the equation too!

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:29:17

Can't stand leggings at the best of times.

I mostly lived in short skirts (with elastic waists) and longline maternity vests… for work I was in scrubs last time which was very comfy smile

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 20:23:46

misog (hello!) I had some from red herring last time (ordered them from debenhems) that were over bump and very smart and comfy. Looked exactly like work trousers when worn with a longish top. They did me short length ones so I presume they do long ones too!

Generally there is very little on the high street but quite a bit online - which is a pain because you don't know how it will fit till you get it - so i ordered most stuff. Asos is good for maternity gear, generally, they also do petite so I presume they do tall too?? (sorry am a shortie so don't take note of tall clothes!) Actually asos is for tall people in general I think, all their maxi dresses you'd have to be like 6ft to wear.

For the in-between bit where you get a bit bigger but don't really have a bump I found bump bands were great, just worn over your normal trousers with a button undone.

misog2000 Sat 22-Mar-14 20:06:22

I'm worrying about work clothes as I get bigger (only 13 weeks ATM so still in my normal clothes) as I have stupidly long legs and have to buy from tall ranges and no one seems to do tall maternity!! Guessing I will have to wear dresses all the time once I get to that stage. I have to be smart (suits etc) in my job so won't get away with leggings and long tops etc.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Standinginline Fri 21-Mar-14 12:05:29

I had under bump and all I will say is either wear leggings underneath OR make sure you're well groomed down there ,lol. But then that might depend on whether your bump is high or not ;mine was quite low. When I wasn't working I just used leggings as they went over bump and give you a smoother look smile

wispaxmas Fri 21-Mar-14 12:02:15

I know the OP is probably fine regarding mat trousers now as she posted this over a month ago, but for anyone in a similar situation, I found that under bump were far better until about 26 weeks, but now I'm living in over bump stuff. My bump isn't massive, but the under bump band doesn't lie flat anymore, especially between sitting down and standing up all day. It's not a flattering look, and the over bump makes the bump look more like a bump and also is far more comfortable now.

Racal7 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:36:18

I have overbunp ones from Mother care. Really comfy x

JustDanni Fri 21-Mar-14 09:29:46

I wear over bumps. simply cause I hate the feeling of anything under my bump. Makes me want to pee!!
I find over bump stay up better too as my weight is always up and down but bump is only gonna get bigger.

PrincessOfChina Thu 20-Mar-14 20:18:00

I much preferred under-bump. Over-bump only even vaguely fitted when I was anout 37 weeks and I wasn't exactly small!

I'm thinking about babies again and I've been pleased to note lots of elasticated waists on the high st.

Howly Thu 20-Mar-14 20:00:47

My next under bump ones are uncomfortable, great on the legs, but tight exactly where baby is lying and she doesn't like it, kicks be all day long!!

noseymcposey Thu 20-Mar-14 15:03:31

Underbump fall down terribly on me and I've come to HATE them so just invested in a couple of pairs of overbump. Even though they're my normal size they're enormous! I am currently 29 weeks... but at least I am comfy!

Agree over bump leggings are a good investment.

Boogles91 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:25:46

I prefere over bump, i need to get a size up now only for the bump though, from the hips down im still a size 12 but the pair i have the strechy bump bit is too tight when i sit down now and baby doesnt like it, seems to rumple about loads lol x

Jcb77 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:45:30

Have a pair of each. Love my over bump ones. Comfy and snuggly and also don't flash anything. Under bump I find a little uncomfy (the tight waist sits round the bottom of my bump), they slip down (have quite a boyish hips and bum sub bump) and flash. Also as I'm quite tall then I have to get really long tops to cover any gaps, which is less of a problem with my over bumps. Wouldn't go for under bump again unless I had braces!

Iwillorderthefood Wed 19-Mar-14 19:39:44

Overbump every time I bend over the under bump ones slip down worryingly at the back. I am 28 weeks so not huge.

mostlyconfused Wed 19-Mar-14 18:57:45

Over the bump for me all the way. I have one pair of under the bump jeans and I hate them!

babybear2468 Wed 19-Mar-14 18:33:51

over the bump leggings were best for me as else the pressure on my bladder was too great. so to avoid needing the loo more than normal over the bump is best imo :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now