Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Odd Birthing Plan Stipulations.

(33 Posts)
Jolleigh Sun 09-Feb-14 22:46:08

I've been putting my birth plan together today and realised that for the benefit of my mum (who is my back up birthing partner), I'm having to specify that my birth partner be removed should they go against my wishes to have no cameras until after I've washed up post-birth. I've told her I want no cameras. She has said she'd be bringing one anyway as I won't care when I'm in pain. She's my 'reserve' birthing partner for 2 weeks while my fiancé is unavoidably out of the country and she's always been one to push her luck, though she means well.

Have you ever heard of anyone making odd requests like this or made any yourself?

(My birth plan is more for the attention of my fiancé or mum, not the medical professionals - I have a few medical preferences but know I'll probably end up going with whatever is necessary at the time.)

mandbaby Mon 10-Feb-14 10:37:10

My only request was that my husband told me the gender of our babies when they were born - I didn't want the midwife or doctor telling me. But both times it was ME that had to tell DH as both my sons were plonked on my belly face up and it was sort of obvious what they were. Meanwhile, squeamish husband was still looking in the opposite direction!

Jolleigh Mon 10-Feb-14 11:18:07

Moomin - your Jedi stipulations just made me crack up!

Jolleigh Mon 10-Feb-14 11:20:13

Humphrey - I think my reaction was "you think I'm going to let you take a picture of my vagina being torn in 2 when you should be trying to help? You can fuck right off!"

Jolleigh Mon 10-Feb-14 11:21:51

Jelly - I actually hadn't considered a water birth but can certainly see the appeal now you've pointed it out! grin

capet Mon 10-Feb-14 11:29:21

I don't understand why anyone would want a picture of anyone crowning?
Is it for public display on mantelpiece? Baby photo album?
Who wants to see that photo?

rockin20s Mon 10-Feb-14 11:33:57

jolleigh i think her reaction to you saying no would be enough for me to say she wont even be in the hospital not amind the labour room. i would want to be fully relax. if you are having to watch where your mother is at all times you wont be relaxing yourself which is where all your attention should be.
she does not see this! and is making it about her. she should not be there.

Pixielady83 Mon 10-Feb-14 11:39:16

Seriously, I think the stress of having such a normal request ignored could really affect how you feel in labour and I don't think I'm being melodramatic by saying it could even slow down labour (and then lead to interventions etc) if you're worrying about what your mother is doing with her camera. I would totally go it alone, it's better than having someone who isn't supportive of your wishes. Apparently the midwives are a lot more attentive if you're on your own as well, there was a thread on here about it a few weeks ago and a couple of posters had really positive experiences, where the hospital found them student midwives or similar to stay with them. I think it's really really offensive to be insisting on taking a photo of your vagina, even if her grandchild is emerging from it at the time!!! shock

whiteblossom Mon 10-Feb-14 13:29:43

ok if you really must have her there then you have one option. When you are at hospital and she arrives, go through her bag (Make up what your looking for or lock yourself in the bathroom with her bag) and smash up the camera/take out batteries/memory card/give it to mw to hide.

I think its terrible that she would do such a thing, trust is blown not sure I'd want her there but I know how forcefull my dm can be so I kinda understand but I would never her want her with me in labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now