Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finding it hard to quit Smoking!!

(20 Posts)

Hello everyone I need some help please!!

I am trying to quit smoking,! I have cut down from 20 fags to 7 fags a day, but I really want to quit for good!! but it is so hard,, so I need everyones advice or best suggestions,, and I know what your all going to say "don't put a fag in your gob then" lol but I is so bloody hard... HELP PLEASE.. thanks

Finabhear Sun 09-Feb-14 15:47:34

I used hypnotherapy, eight years on and I still don't smoke. You do have to really want to give up though.

Just think of all the money you will save for baby stuff

if you don't mind me asking what's hypnotherapy,, never heard of it lol,, I really want to quit but I don't know what I can take when pregnant (nicotine patch's or the little chalky mint thingy's lol) but it is also really hard when my husband smokes and the smell of nicotine makes me what one really bad and if I don't have one I can get really ratty,, so Help please lol smile

Finabhear Sun 09-Feb-14 15:59:33

It is were you get hypnotised (put into a kind of trance for a short time) and they try to convince your subconscious that you really do want to quit smile

Your DH should really quit too as you will still be subject to passive smoke.

I would start with your local gp who should point you towards a local NHS support group for quitting smoking. There is a lot of NHS help out there and it is mainly free.

Finabhear Sun 09-Feb-14 16:01:01

Or search it on the NHS website, you can self refer.

Sorry I can't link on this device

22honey Sun 09-Feb-14 16:01:56

You arnt alone, I too am struggling to quit because I havnt yet moved out of my chaotic MIL's house. I have been getting out with the dogs more and keeping myself busy to attempt to cut down. I am wary about electric cigs during pregnancy and am planning on using NRT. Are you using anything like that now? I successfully quit for over a year using inhalators but a stressful time saw me back on the cigs. I am 23 this year and need to quit soon! I am quite nervous, upset and worried about the effect it might be having on my baby. I smoke about 10 roll ups a day!

Its hard here because both IL's smoke and have smoked in the house their whole lives, when we move the new place will be smoke free and I will find it much easier.

Bonnella20 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:16:29

Hi, I'm in exact same position, hate myself for smoking. I gave up for 3 months with e cigarettes while ttc. I'm 7 weeks now and really need to smoke as I get ratty and low without having one. The reason I started on cigarettes again is because my gp told me not to touch e cigarettes therefore I've ended back on fags. I'm only having about 5 a day but the guilt is killing me. I totally understand how your feeling, such a horrible position to be in. sad and unfortunately non smokers don't understand :/

DownstairsMixUp Sun 09-Feb-14 16:20:25

Could you go to the GP and ask for advice about e-cigs? Surely they can't be as bad as real cigarettes?! They work for a lot of people to. We have been selling tons in the shop I work in of late.

Innogen Sun 09-Feb-14 16:21:57

Can you use ecigs when pregnant?

Mine changed my life. Haven't smoked a single cigarette since I bought one.

Bonnella20 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:32:38

My gp told me there was not enough evidence to allow us to use when pregnant sad because I would manage to stay off fags otherwise. So I'm really not sure, maybe a 2nd opinion wouldn't go wrong smile

Twoprincessesistwiceasnice Sun 09-Feb-14 18:53:39

It is really difficult to give up smoking when pregnant but so worth it. One of my friends smoked through her pregnancy and her baby was born 10 weeks early with placental abruption and although they cant prove the specific cause, in her second pregnancy she didn't smoke and was absolutely fine. Its really difficult ladies but so worth it, think of all the extra money, and don't buy baby stuff with the money, treat urself to getting ur nails done, or pedicure, or dinner out smile good luck xx

Ideally, you need to give up cold turkey as nicotine itself (either from nrt or ecigs) has some small risks in pregnancy.

If you haven't tried it yet, get Allen Carr's book. It works for lots and lots of people.

If that doesn't work, you can try NRT. This NHS page recommends it for pregnant women who cannot stop without it.

If that doesn't work, then for goodness sake get an ecig! Doctors will generally not recommend them because they are not medically licenced (they're a consumer product), however the more research that comes out, the safer they are looking. Given their ingredients, they are very likely to have similar risks to NRT. Certainly they are orders of magnitude safer than smoking, both for you and your baby! This paper has a good round up of what is currently known about them (and about nicotine generally).

Congratulations and good luck flowers

fifi669 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:51:37

I spoke to my midwife about this. Her opinion was that anything is better than not smoking cigs. I was worried that they'd end up with some thalidomide scandal or something attached in the future as they're so new and untested in pregnant women.

Going to start on them again Tuesday and ditch the roll ups.

DownstairsMixUp Sun 09-Feb-14 22:33:28

Most of the websites on pregnancy say e-cigs aren't recommended but are the preferred option to a cigarette. smile

FlipFantasia Mon 10-Feb-14 00:05:59

Former heavy smoker here and I have to say just stop. It's super hard (I've fallen off the wagon a few times over the years!) but you really have to. Smoking harms your baby, and smoking around a newborn increases the risk of SIDS.

You will get ratty but it passes. Find a replacement activity. Like I became addicted to spider solitaire on my phone! I also found making popcorn (in a pot on the hob rather than the microwave) helped me in the evenings. Random but they worked. You'll find whatever works for you.

Get your dh to ditch them too. Treat yourselves with the money you save and feel proud of every day you don't smoke.

Sorry to be blunt but you're well on the way by cutting down so much.

i tried no having a fag last week and every time i wanted a fag a ate a couple of polo's (yummy minty sweets) My dad used to swear by it but i works for a day but then i gave up and had a fag :/,,, but i am going to try my hardest tomorrow not to have one at all :P,,,, just going to have to buy something to take my mind off wanting one ,, gonna have to buy a shite load of sweets.. and its easy to say get my dh to ditch them aswell but he's smoked for every 25years so i kinda got no chance of that but im going to get him to smoke outside raining or not lol.. i don't want to quit for me but for my babies sake, as i had a 12weeks prem baby and no1 knows why she came prem(smoked though out pregnancy),, so thank you all for your replies, any other tips you may have chuck them my way as i am going to need then lol,,,

Time to go and buy loads of sweets for tomorrow lol
thanks i really appreciate it
atb
Emma..xX

Innogen Mon 10-Feb-14 15:22:57

Honestly, just get an ecig in case. Better turning to that when you really want a cig and the sweets arent doing enough.

Inglori0us Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:33

Hypnotherapy really works. Search for National Council of Hypnotherapists online as you can search the site for someone local and qualified. I gave up this way 7 years ago and it was easy. Good luck.

I'd rather do without an ecig,, don't have a clue what chemicals are in it, or what chemicals could harm my baby and i'll have a nose on internet about hypnotherapy,, other than that, its gonna be a long hard journey lol... thanks

Propylene glycol (same as in asthma inhalers), vegetable glycerine, pharma grade nicotine, food flavourings.

How's it going with the sweeties?

I really would recommend the allen carr book. Helluva lot cheaper than hypnotherapy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now