Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weird bulge in vagina - TMI alert but so worried :(

(22 Posts)
Peacenquiet2 Mon 10-Feb-14 13:38:05

I had front/back wall prolapse after my first dc and when i strained i had a small bulge pop out which could be pushed back in till i strained again. It was pink and fleshy but i likened it to a pink slug! (hideous i know).
I also had the heavy draggy feeeling prior to givin birth. The prolapse righted itself to a degree after dc 1 was born but after dc2 there was no goin back without surgery which i had last march.
This pg with dc 3, it all seems to be holding up well touch wood.
Id defo mention it to mw/practice nurse cos it could be something altogether different but best to be sure and i really hope its not a prolpase for your sake.

Jellybellyrbest Mon 10-Feb-14 11:46:25

Yep; had this in my first pregnancy (now on my 4th). Saw my GP who referred me to my Obstetrician with a diagnosis of ?? genital warts. I was terrified & sick to my stomach. Was an 'imperforate hymen", apparently. Had always been there, always will be, but pregnancy hormones cause it to swell up. It never went completely back to normal but it's never given me any trouble. I am a Practice Nurse, do Smears on women regularly & see lots of lumps & bumps & swellings down there, so please don't worry. Just another lovely side effect of pregnancy!! Definitely get it checked out, but I'm sure it's fine OP.

Mintymoomoo Sun 09-Feb-14 14:36:48

Mine was just a fleshy lump due to being so swollen down there and baby pressing down so much, would def call you midwife/doc and get it checked out though just to put your mind at rest

HolidayArmadillo Sun 09-Feb-14 10:48:09

I'd lay odds on it being a cyst.

CristaBell Sun 09-Feb-14 10:21:49

I don't have any experience of this but i would suggest calling your midwife or trying to get an appointment at the out of hours surgery, just to put you mind at rest. smile x

Mintymoomoo Sun 09-Feb-14 09:18:32

Sorry but this made me laugh as soon as I read only because I HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!!

With my 3rd pregnancy I to found a lump (raspberry like) mine was also at 39w it was also bloody achy and I could just feel something there almost felt like there was limb or something hanging out!

I went to midwife and they said it was just swollen as baby was so low, she said she could see the head, I went into labour soon after and my bits went back to normal after x

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 09:05:04

It doesn't look like an umbilical cord and I've had no gush of waters but I'll ring them anyway just to be sure.

callow Sun 09-Feb-14 08:40:15

You need to call the labour ward. It may be a cord prolapse especially as the baby was in an oblique lie. If it is this it is an emergency situation.

I don't mean to scare you but you need to sort it out now.

Dillydollydaydream Sun 09-Feb-14 08:39:45

It's not umbilical cord like? Definitely flesh like?
Prob best to get looked at to check all is ok.

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 08:26:49

No, it's definitely flesh and not mucous-y, and I was able to push it back inside although if I strained it came out a bit again.

purplemurple1 Sun 09-Feb-14 08:20:14

Could it be your plug?

callow Sun 09-Feb-14 08:14:06

I think you are best to ring the labour ward and describe it to a midwife. They can then decide if it needs to be looked at.

LegArmpits Sun 09-Feb-14 08:11:12

A poo?

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 08:07:24

I don't think so - it's actually in the vagina not the back passage, and I've been lucky to not suffer from haemorrhoids as I'm religious with the fibre intake and Lactulose.

MotheringShites Sun 09-Feb-14 08:03:42

It's a haemorrhoid.

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 07:58:24

Thanks for the replies so early on a Sunday morning - I barely slept from worry. Varicose veins did spring to mind but this bulge is actually protruding from inside the vagina rather than on the vulva so I wasn't sure. It isn't painful though.

My next midwife appointment isn't til Tuesday week, which is actually AFTER my due date (nope, I don't get it either) but I need to see someone re oblique baby next week anyway.

Meant to add - are you sure it's coming out if your vagina?

A pile?

HolidayArmadillo Sun 09-Feb-14 07:50:54

Bartholins cyst?

krazipan Sun 09-Feb-14 07:47:31

My first thought on reading the post was it sounds like a varicose vein.

TheGirlWithTheArabStrap Sun 09-Feb-14 07:44:02

It might be a vulval varicose vein? I didn't realise you could get them there til it happened to me when I was pregnant. When do you next see your midwife?

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 07:36:24

I'm 39 weeks and last night I was settling back in front of the mirror for my nightly perineal massage when I noticed an odd bulge about the size and texture of a raspberry protruding out of me very slightly. I pushed it back in and it was fine but if I strained a bit it came out again.

My immediate thought was "OMFG it's a prolapse" but after consulting Dr Google I'm not so sure - it's my first pregnancy (and most prolapse cases seem to happen AFTER childbirth), I'm religious with the pelvic floor exercises, and I've not had any incontinence issues except for the usual having to pee every 20 minutes or so, which I put down as normal in pregnancy anyway! Also the photos of prolapses (yes I looked at them) were terrifying but also looked nothing like what I spotted. I very occasionally have a slight feeling of heaviness in the area but I've had that a while - even before pregnancy.

So I am at a loss as to what this is and the doctor's surgery isn't open today. Baby was in an oblique lie last week and I was worried about needing a CS but now I'm starting to think that'd be the better option. But at 39 weeks I'm fast running out of time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now