Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Putting 'call me [nickname]' on birth plan?

(21 Posts)
MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Fri 31-Jan-14 14:35:28

So far all midwives, consultant etc have been calling me by my full name, which has only ever been used by anyone else if I'm in trouble, and I really don't like being called by it but I'm not sure how to change it now - I only have another 12 weeks until due date and I can put up with it in appointments etc but I'm not sure I want it for 12/24/48+ hours straight in labour grin so can I put "Call me __" (my nickname which everyone uses) on the birth plan?

It's not any weird nickname - it's the same as being called Abigail but wanting to be known as Abby, basically.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Fri 31-Jan-14 14:36:40

Why not just tell your midwife when she introduces herself?

undecidedanduncertain Fri 31-Jan-14 14:39:54

Fine to put it on there. But you will probably have to tell people too, as they usually speak to you before the read your plan IME.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Fri 31-Jan-14 14:44:15

I told my community midwife right at the start and I she (understandably) forgot, so I'm worried that unless it's on my birth plan or something they won't remember and will carry on even if I tell them.

MmeLindor Fri 31-Jan-14 14:47:08

I don't think anyone read my birthplan, tbh.

Just tell everyone to call you Abby.

WingardiumLeveosaaa Fri 31-Jan-14 14:47:09

Yep, put it on there. Also remind your birth partner to say 'actually she likes to be called xxxx' during labour, even if you're too busy to reply yourself.

Fairypants Fri 31-Jan-14 15:20:29

Yes, put it in there. I'd also suggest putting it in ' ' next to your name on the front of your notes as they will always check those. They will want to get it right so won't mind being reminded.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 31-Jan-14 15:23:12

Not weird at all - introduce yourself by that name, or if you walk in and they say "oh you must be xxx" just say "actually I prefer yyy". Add a note on the top of your birth plan too - it will be fine!

OddBoots Fri 31-Jan-14 15:30:13

It's been 6 years since my last pregnancy but I'm sure my notes had a 'preferred name' box on them. If they don't then they should do.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Fri 31-Jan-14 15:40:35

Thanks everyone.

My "preferred name" box has a sticker over the top of it with my details. I'll try and find somewhere to put it smile

HandragsNGladbags Fri 31-Jan-14 15:42:13

Just cross out your full name and write it above?

Ragwort Fri 31-Jan-14 15:42:31

I agree with Mme - hate to say it but I am 100% certain no one read or cared about my birth plan; I am not even sure why we are asked to write one, seems a waste of time and paper. At what point do the midwives actually read the birth plan - in a busy hospital where shifts are changing all the time I don't see when it gets done confused.

I am not complaining about my DS's birth as I had asked for an ELCS, been refused but ended up with an EMCS - I was happy with that grin.

PenguinsDontEatKale Fri 31-Jan-14 15:42:50

If they don't call you 'mum' you are doing pretty well....

But yes, note in the plan and get your partner to correct them if they forget and slip back into using Abigail. He/She should be particularly on the ball to do this to consultants, etc.

smilesallround247 Fri 31-Jan-14 15:43:25

OMG I'm the exact same!! my preferred name is on all the forms and in my folder but my longer real name is on more official things. I've put it on my birth plan that I won't respond to my full name as I'm not used to being called it plus it annoys me. My midwife just put my preferred name on all the documents in my folder so hopefully no one will know my full name wink

SaucyJack Fri 31-Jan-14 15:52:37

Not weird at all.

My hosp. MW actually introduced herself as "Abby" but filled in paperwork as "Abigail".

MummyPig24 Fri 31-Jan-14 16:04:36

Put it on there and tell them as well. I'm seriously considering asking not to be called "good girl" as that gives me the rage!

Floggingmolly Fri 31-Jan-14 16:15:38

Why didn't you call yourself by your nick name from the get go?
Seems a bit ridiculous to allow all the paperwork to refer to a name you don't actually want to be called?
And as for smiles and her "I won't respond to my full name"... hmm
Are you actually a petulant ten year old or grown up enough to be having your own child?

MrsDeVere Fri 31-Jan-14 16:27:35

I use my shortened name on everything. If I use my full version I put my preferred version in ( ) afterwards.

Unfortunately my work email uses my full name so people use that quite a bit. It doesn't seem like my name after 40 odd years of using the short version!

Put it on your birth plan and write it on the front of your notes. Lots of cultures have several names. I don't know all the conventions so I often have to ask what name someone prefers.

Flogging you don't always get a say in the name paperwork uses. If your full name is on your medical records it will be on the computer files and that is often the first contact a HCP will have.
They might fill in initial forms from that information and it can be very difficult to get stuff changed once it is embedded.

I have seen this happen with names that have been entered wrongly and experienced nightmares getting my DC's surname recorded correctly years after his adoption.

Moosekin Fri 31-Jan-14 16:52:30

I had exactly the same. They just crossed my full name out and put what I prefer to be called above it!!

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Fri 31-Jan-14 17:04:27

flogging I had to give my full name when registering for the doctors, and that's the name the midwife started using. I was too nervous to say anything.

PastaandCheese Fri 31-Jan-14 18:18:16

I put my 'please call me X and my DH is Y' in my birth plan. It was read by several staff and they called me by my preferred name and tried to stick to my birth plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now