Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipated!!! Warning TMI!

(28 Posts)
K8eee Fri 31-Jan-14 09:03:44

I've been put on iron tablets and have got the dreaded constipation hmm I know it's caused by these as my poo is the same colour it would be if I had eaten spinach. grin Sorry if tmi!

Anyway, I want to try natural poo softeners so was thinking of going down the prune juice route but I've heard it tastes rank confused I'm more than happy to give it a go, so how much should I drink for it to have the desired effect? Any other suggestions are welcome too smile

Snowlet Fri 31-Jan-14 09:50:31

I've been using the liquid iron (Floradix) and I worried about the same thing, but it didn't come to pass (or, it did, har har). Granted, I have a high fibre diet, but the liquid form might be easier on the system? It's at Holland & Barrett if you want to give it a shot

Cariad007 Fri 31-Jan-14 10:14:08

Maybe try Lactulose? You can get it for free by getting a prescription from the doctor.

K8eee Fri 31-Jan-14 10:17:52

I used I take lactulose as a kid. It did work, but I'm unsure how long I leave it before I go to my gp as I don't want them to turn me away and say see how I go on the iron tablets for a week or two hmm

SparrowSG Fri 31-Jan-14 10:52:35

I have had prune juice before and I don't remember it being that bad.

I am eating prunes at the moment to help with my constipation. I think they taste ok, like big raisins really, just a bit more chewy. If you chop them up on your cereal then it's just like another bit of added fruit.

Beccadugs Fri 31-Jan-14 10:54:48

I've had this, my tips:
Pears
Broccoli
Live yoghurt
Plenty of water
The odd strong coffee
The odd spicy curry

Good luck!!

KitKat1985 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:08:34

If you don't like prune juice, maybe try a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast? And try to eat lots of whole grains and fruit and veg in the day? x

curlyLJ Fri 31-Jan-14 11:34:32

I feel your pain! I have been on the tablets just over a week now and have just had exactly the same issue - the poo was so big and hard coming out the other day it made my bum bleed sad

I have reduced the tablets to 2 a day rather than the 3 I was prescribed and have been trying to eat lots of fruit and veg and foods which naturally contain iron. Fresh orange juice (the one with the juicy bits) is also good (as good as prune juice in my opinion, and nicer too).

The single thing that I think had helped though is to drink plenty - much more than you normally would if you are anything like me! That has really helped soften the poo and I managed to have a normal, pain-free one this morning.

lucyfluff Fri 31-Jan-14 11:49:13

The lactulose syrup is amazing!! Yes GPs prescribe it but you can also get it over the counter (my local Tesco do it ). I glug a small amount every evening to stop constipation smile

Good luck!!!

squizita Fri 31-Jan-14 11:50:07

Actual prunes (the ones in a jar with juice). Just 2 a day. blimy the effect of just 2 is a bit shock and will sort you right out! grin

Beccadugs Fri 31-Jan-14 11:54:30

Don't just go with bran/fibre without upping your fluid intake... The results can make things WORSE!!

Franchini Fri 31-Jan-14 12:02:31

Try mixing prune juice with orange juice it tastes much better. Also buy the more expensive prune juice, believe me it tastes slightly better. Also second lactulose get it in prescription from the gp and stock up on it for after you have your baby! Lots of veg, lots of fruit, lots of water. After about 20 weeks the constipation eases. Hope this helps.

Franchini Fri 31-Jan-14 13:55:03

Try mixing prune juice with orange juice it tastes much better. Also buy the more expensive prune juice, believe me it tastes slightly better. Also second lactulose get it in prescription from the gp and stock up on it for after you have your baby! Lots of veg, lots of fruit, lots of water. After about 20 weeks the constipation eases. Hope this helps.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 31-Jan-14 15:45:15

Sorry to hear this K8eee - I've been on my supplements for 2 weeks now and thankfully, no constipation so far. I'm being naughty though and only taking one tablet a day instead of two - it might be a different story if I was doing as I was told. Another MN member sent me some Spatone in the post (an iron supplement drink) and I have one of those sachets a day as well as one of my tablets. I have just ordered loads more sachets off eBay. I'm having my levels checked again in 2 weeks and I'm hoping my own regime will have improved things as I don't want to get told off smile

thebestnameshavegone Fri 31-Jan-14 16:06:20

my midwife has recommended whole linseeds to me, although I haven't tried them yet. apparently they only break up at the last stage of digestion and release oils which help to soften everything up. she said to sprinkle a tablespoon full on a bowl of cereal or stir it into yoghurt.

Elderberri Fri 31-Jan-14 16:11:52

I second spatone......was anaemic, borderline, refused ferrous, had two spatone a day. Trick is first thing in morning, eat dairy after half an hour. Tea interrupts iron take up. Always have with vitamin c.

RaRa1988 Fri 31-Jan-14 16:16:54

Prune juice is disgusting! Hats off to those of you who can drink it. I suggest LOADS of orange/grapefruit juice - I was really badly constipated a few weeks ago, and a whole carton of orange juice did more for me than lactulose, senna, and fibogel put together.

Secretlypregnant Fri 31-Jan-14 17:19:47

I couldn't drink prune juice when it was straight out of the fridge, but for some reason found it quite nice at room temperature! I had two small glasses a day, just poured them out in advance and they sat on the side until they had lost the chill. Worked a treat. Just think of it as medicine.

Expectingtwins1975 Fri 31-Jan-14 19:18:29

Prune juice is the most evil substance ever to be sold in a carton .... Makes me feel ill just thinking about it. Avoid at all costs

fragglemummy1 Fri 31-Jan-14 20:12:37

Activia does a yoghurt with prune in and one with figs. I hate prunes and figs but the yoghurt is actually ok. One a day works pretty well. Lactulose does work too but makes me feel really sick unfortunately.

Casmama Fri 31-Jan-14 21:23:54

Chemist recommended fybogel to me the other day and it has already made a big difference - not a medication as such but it increases the fibre so makes things softer and easier to pass.

KiwiBanana Fri 31-Jan-14 22:36:31

Prune juice and a cup of hot water always works for me! Doesn't taste that bad, not sure what all the fuss is!

Tranquilitybaby Sat 01-Feb-14 00:19:40

If you are allowed to take Movicol sachets they're absolutely brilliant as they're just a softener.

K8eee Sat 01-Feb-14 01:32:16

I was told by my mw, and it says on the paperwork included with the pills not to take with dairy and I should give it at least an hour before or after taking the iron tablet before having a hot drink or any dairy. I'm only on one a day at the moment.

I think I'll try some dried fruit with a bit glass of water before bed to try and soften things, but the consistency of my poo looks rank. As I say, it's as though I've eaten spinach confusedblush

Do I see my gp or mw to get a prescription for lactulose etc...? If I can get it free on prescription why not smile

Demi123 Sat 01-Feb-14 01:35:51

Have I done enough in ttc?
I have been ttc for years, I have now tested with the clearblue smiley face opk's I got my first smiley face 29th and second 30th I had intercourse 28th 30th and 31st my question is have I done enough although I didn't have intercourse the day of the first smiley even though I did it the night before?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now