Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone with hypermobility ??

(33 Posts)
lj123 Mon 27-Jan-14 13:40:46

I'm currently 10weeks and 3 days pregnant.
Back pain and cramps for the last 3 days.
I called in sick today because my back just aches and I work with children so involved a lot of bending and lifting etc.
Any experience??

Stom91 Tue 29-Apr-14 23:05:13

Bit late to the thread but I find that local anaesetics don't work on me either I hate going to the dentist for that reason but I had gas & air during labour worked fine! My labour was 4 hour first contraction was 11am abd baby was born 3pm (first baby) born jan 2014
I wanted a water birth as the water helps my hms but idols be due to the contractions being too close together. 20-30 seconds apart from start to finish so had to be in a monitor

Also when i was pregnant the MW told me that it's all changed for people with hms now it used to be that you'd have consultant lead care and the option of a c-section but that all changed.

elfandsafeT Tue 29-Apr-14 23:05:25

Ismarah - the first one was a crash section as I was haemorrhaging and baby's heart rate was dipping. 2nd one was by agreement given what happened first time (although I was going to try VBAC as I felt I should try/experience a natural birth! - good job I didn't as consultant said I would have ruptured had I tried once he saw the mess they'd made of my uterus the first time).

So to be fair nothing to do with the hypermobility or the SPD - unless you're more prone to placental abruption with hypermobility - which I don't think is the case!

ismarah Wed 30-Apr-14 11:06:30

Thanks Elf that's very interesting.

Artistic Wed 30-Apr-14 17:26:06

Hi Everyone, this thread has been a real eye-opener for me.

I suffer from hypermobility of some joints combined with flat feet. In my last pregnancy, owing to the joint softening along with my existing problems, my knees got battered and suffered a lot of permanent damage. At the time I was not wearing orthotics as my flat feet had never troubled me at all. During the delivery I had epidural, which worked well, but left me with a horrendous headache for 48 hours. After the delivery I suffered really painful hips for several months (and never ever considered it was owing to hypermobility + pregnancy). I always blamed it on the excess fat on my hips!!!

But I have to say I had a high-speed delivery. Water-breaking to baby-in-arms in 5 hours. Things moved really fast. This time around, am told it could be faster (only owing to my history, not hypermobility).

Its all making sense now. Thanks a lot for sharing your tips.

I have HMS, I dislocate a lot, especially my shoulder and hips.

I had ds3 18 months ago, for the last 5 months of the pregnancy I was in a wheel chair in hospital on very strong painkillers. I think the gap in my pelvis was three times the size it was meant to be by 20 weeks! shock

The birth was 16 minutes start to finish though the downside was I didn't know I was in labour (same happened with ds2) and gave birth mostly in the lift of the hospital!)

Artistic Wed 30-Apr-14 19:30:26

Wow! That's really quick! Did the pelvis get back to normal after? Did you have to do special exercises?

The pelvis went back to it's pre pregnancy state which is always bigger than it should be, the pain relief was pretty instant though after DS was born. I haven't done anything other than extreme pelvic floor muscles.

I was advised though when I have more children to go straight to a chiropractor to keep the pelvis aligned to stop it happening as bad again.

flymo79 Thu 01-May-14 21:14:21

Fascinating stuff, def going to speak with MW and have asked dp to cancel a trip in my last month as suddenly realised he could've been four hours away and I might be prone to early or quick labour. Yeeks. Knees and hips seem to be getting worse so will check out Pilates link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now