Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone else had funny reactions when telling people ur pregnant?

(70 Posts)
amy246 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:34:14

Told my nan we were expecting and all she said was 'but you don't own your own house!' Ha ha ha! Anyone else had unusual reactions?

Weegiemum Thu 23-Jan-14 12:27:23

We told my bil and sil as they came to visit when I was in the throes of ghastly morning sickness.

Bil said "what? On purpose?

ZingSweetApple Thu 23-Jan-14 13:39:54

weegie

I'm rolling my eyes on your behalf. eejits.
Some people have no filters.

next time they come wear an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt.wink

bleedingheart Thu 23-Jan-14 13:51:52

From a colleague (who knew exactly how old I was): How do you feel about being an older mum? Are you the oldest one at the hospital?

I was 27!!!!

insanelycheerful Thu 23-Jan-14 14:13:44

When I told my brother I was pregnant with DC2, his response was "oh surprise surprise."

No congratulations, no oh that's lovely. Just surprise surprise!

I told him early (ie before the 12wk scan) and I've always thought it quite a privilege to be told early. Suffice to say I am now 6weeks with DC3 and will NOT be telling him any time soon!

Pumpkin567 Thu 23-Jan-14 14:22:59

On announcing our second pregnancy.

From inlaws...silence.....followed by silence....then "oh"

toxic twats

AuntieMaggie Thu 23-Jan-14 18:20:13

Mummytobe2014 don't be too hard on her... she may have been trying for a long time...

Charingcrossbun Thu 23-Jan-14 18:46:02

I got lots of "was it planned?" the 2 best replies (that i've not been brave enough to use) are No, we were aiming for bum sex or Yea we've been shagging like made and I stik my legs in the air & pretend I'm Victoria Pendleton!
On a different note:
One of my kids at school (I'm a teacher) having looked at my 16week bump and declared I was preggo (I'd heard lots of whispers but was waiting for one to ask before telling them) and asked with genuine concern "do you still see the father?" wink A bit of a sad reflection on her relationship expectations and norms I'm afraid but did make me smile!

Eatriskier Thu 23-Jan-14 18:58:03

I didn't personally get any, but my DM did when I was expecting DC1. My Sis exploded at her that she was not to be happy or to tell people this is her first grandchild as Sis and her dogs were to come first hmm because I did it to spite her (I am older and was in my 30s and unlike sis was settled down at the time). Needless to say that is just one in a long list of reasons I'm now NC with her...

Mummytobe2014 Thu 23-Jan-14 19:21:36

Auntiemaggie i know thats not the case though and even if it was its not a nice thing to say about anyone! I had troubles in the past but wldnt dream of making such a comment. It was also the way its said to all my colleagues behind my back, thats just nasty.

Claryrocks Thu 23-Jan-14 19:50:27

So what did you say if someone asked if it was planned? I'm expecting my in laws to ask this about my third. They've already hinted that we'd be mad to have a third when we have one of eachhmm Grghhh

ecofreckle Thu 23-Jan-14 19:56:13

"you must remember ecofreckle that you are pregnant not ill" from my female boss who is a (workaholic) mother herself.

ACatCalledBrian Thu 23-Jan-14 20:28:57

My Dad: "Couldn't you have waited until I was 50?" I did point out that it was as much his fault for having me at 24 as it is mine for getting pregnant at 23 that he's a young grandad.

And from my friend: "Do you have to buy different clothes and everything now you're pregnant?" To be fair I doubt he'd put much thought into maternity wear before, but he must have seen the size of a 9 month pregnant woman?

clairesmiles Thu 23-Jan-14 20:44:57

My BIL just said 'is that it?'

I don't to this day know what that was supposed to mean but it was certainly and underwhelming reaction lol!!

xx

clairesmiles Thu 23-Jan-14 20:45:26

an*

Guitargirl Thu 23-Jan-14 20:54:27

We had lots of 'is it planned?' questions.

One colleague reacted to me saying that I had some news with 'Oh God, please don't tell me you're pregnant'

One 'friend' asked if we were going to get married, I replied no, to which her response was 'Oh, nice, so your child is going to be a bastard'

Oh and my boss at the time went on a mission to convince me to get my DD christened when she was born by telling me that if she died she would go straight to hell.

sad

I was so grateful when someone just said a simple 'congratulations'.

Ihavemyownname Thu 23-Jan-14 21:23:47

When I told my dad he came down with his partner from london to have a chat with me. He told me I should have an abortion becuase I would ruin mylife if I kept it and if I didnt he wasnt going to be there for me and he wasnt supporting me and he wasnt going to be paying for anything hmm

icklekid Fri 24-Jan-14 07:03:02

Charingcrossbun also a teacher and 16 weeks still waiting for one of the children or parents to ask as can't hide it anymore! The funny thing is when I wasn't pregnant children asked (had lost weight since now pregnant!)

summerbaby2014 Fri 24-Jan-14 08:09:26

Wowsers! The funniest I had was "when did you conceive?" hmm

Plentyofcats Fri 24-Jan-14 08:25:17

MIL to DH: "we thought you were impotent!"

Nice.

ZingSweetApple Fri 24-Jan-14 10:01:55

plenty

version of it "good to know you're not a jaffa"
confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now