Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else had funny reactions when telling people ur pregnant?

(70 Posts)
amy246 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:34:14

Told my nan we were expecting and all she said was 'but you don't own your own house!' Ha ha ha! Anyone else had unusual reactions?

bideyinn Wed 22-Jan-14 12:10:09

'Who is the father' from my mum, despite me living with Dp (now ex) for several years

BettyMacdonald Wed 22-Jan-14 12:17:57

These gems were from my lovely, if somewhat barking, next door neighbour when I told her I was preg with my first -

"Oooo! Was it planned? (I was 30 and married, not that that matters)

And with my second -

"Oh dear! Are you going to keep it?"

hmmshock

Luckily we moved before we had the third! grin

Serobin Wed 22-Jan-14 12:39:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MPB Wed 22-Jan-14 12:49:32

I had a fair few when I got upduffed with DS1

SIL - 'fucking hell' fuck off

BF F when told over phone ...'oh, oh, let me sit down' it's alright love it ain't yours'

And cow bag child hater at work
'Are you going to keep it then'
fuck off to the far side of fuck, and then fuck off some more

I was 26 FGS, a home owner, had been with my the fiancé for almost 10 years, and we were getting married in May as I found out I was expecting in March! I just couldn't understand people's reaction. Weirdos! grin

mandbaby Wed 22-Jan-14 13:00:05

When I was pregnant with DS1, I wrote our news to my mum in a Mothers Day Card. The reply said "lots of love from <our names> and our 12 week old bump".

She opened the card and read it without her glasses on. Her reply was "what's 'burp'?" My bump's name remained "burp" until after he was born!

mandbaby Wed 22-Jan-14 13:01:51

I'm staggered at some of these replies! Some of you know some very rude people! Who would announce that they were pregnant if they didn't plan on keeping it?! What a stupid and insensitive thing for people to ask!!

I had been waiting to start IVF, so had saved holiday and my boss (a mother of 2) knew there would be appts coming up. I then fell pregnant naturally (well, with clomid) and told my boss I wouldn't be needing the IVF appts as I was pregnant. Grin.

She said 'that was a lot of fuss over nothing then, wasn't it?'

I didn't go back after maternity leave.

Anothermrssmith Wed 22-Jan-14 21:11:15

'And you've still been having your periods as normal?!'

That was my (male) boss! I was 9 weeks gone before I found out I was expecting and when I told him that was his reaction! His wife had had a baby a few months earlier and as a result he a)thinks he knows everything about pregnancy and babies and b)has NO internal filter

Both times MIL.

Telling her we were expecting twins..."You just can't do anything properly"
Telling her we were having twin girls..."Oh, but I wanted two boys"

Needless to say we don't get on.

Whatalie Wed 22-Jan-14 21:21:25

My mum told me I wasn't that sort of girl!!! Wtf!! I had been married for 3 years and was 28 when I was became pregnant.

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 22-Jan-14 21:21:44

about 6 strangers/friends have asked if it was planned. How insensitive! as if you're going to say no. They think they're amusing,.

Whatalie Wed 22-Jan-14 21:22:57

Oh and a mum and school when she found out I was pregnant with DC3 asked "how will you afford it" and "did you want it". Never spoke to her again.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Wed 22-Jan-14 21:27:11

SIL said "I knew it". For some reason gave me the rage. Hadn't seen her in months and she didn't know, she just wanted to make it about her.
Or maybe I was hormonal and a bit U!

purpleaura Wed 22-Jan-14 21:37:07

SIL and her husband met our good news with silence. The longest 20 seconds of my life later, they changed the subject. I still haven't worked out why.

My grandma, who is lovely but blunt, said 'so are you going to get married then?' She never said congratulations. Now DS is 4 months old and she is completely smitten and never talks about anything else smile

permaquandry Wed 22-Jan-14 21:48:29

My DB's then girlfriend was so upset when I announced my pregnancy, she refused to talk about it. We couldn't mention anything in front of her. Apparently, she was desperate to have children.

My DB and her were not trying for kids or that committed to each other, I, however had been married for 5 years and this was a very much planned pregnancy. They broke up soon after (not because of my pregnancy though).

PartyConfused Wed 22-Jan-14 21:49:38

Telling my boss

"Oh congratulations! That's lovely! Have you told x (dh)?"

My reply

"No, I thought you'd like to know first" hmm

callamia Wed 22-Jan-14 21:53:27

My nan: "what are you going to do about work?"

She takes my career very seriously... I love having a 94 year old feminist as a Nan.

snowqu33n Wed 22-Jan-14 21:58:05

I'm over 40 and my neighbour asked 'Is it normal?' confused
I found that pretty insensitive.

icklekid Thu 23-Jan-14 05:15:48

callamia my mum is very similar! I can't afford to but don't know what she would say if I didn't go back to work! She did think that I would have a full year off though...again unlikely!

ZingSweetApple Thu 23-Jan-14 05:35:41

I'm pg with #7 so yes, had some odd comments this time and before.

I really hate the critical/patronising and "you are mad" ones.
I wish I could just say "fuck off will you" at those! grrrangry

Having sad that I use these reactions to tell who is a good friend and can be trusted - they tend to react really nicely and thoughtfully, because they know me well and care about my feelings!

Party

grin

just ace!

spritesoright Thu 23-Jan-14 10:04:18

MIL said "well it's still early", thanks for the vote of confidence.
Not suprised though as when we had announced our engagement at dinner (several years previous) we got a restrained "congratulations" and then "pass the potatoes" almost immediately.
Very odd.
I love "do you know who the father is?" above. What exactly was she implying karatekimmy??

ZingSweetApple Thu 23-Jan-14 10:33:23

if asked "do you know the sex?" my answer tends to be "yes, that's how I got pregnant!"

grin

Bumblebzz Thu 23-Jan-14 10:49:41

Not to put a downer on things (as some of these responses are hilarious, especially it seems the older generation), but we never know what is going on in someone else's life. They may just have suffered a miscarriage (most happen before the 12 week official announcement) or they may have been trying unsuccessfully for years. It can be very hard to deal with pregnancy announcements when you are grieving in private for your own lost baby.
I have been on both sides - though hopefully I have always been, and seemed, genuinely happy for other people's happy news - and a little sensitivity goes a long way. I miscarried at 11 weeks last year, having tried for 3 years. The loss happened one week before the 12 week milestone (unfortunately I had already told some family and it is hard telling grandparents-to-be that they are no longer "to be"). Now I am pregnant again (20 weeks so hopefully over the hump though I will never really relax) and I have been a lot less forthcoming in telling people. I didn't tell people until past 15 weeks. I also know quite a few people who desperately want a baby, and I don't want to tell them face to face because I don't want them to have to smile and pretend all is well.
x

ZingSweetApple Thu 23-Jan-14 11:33:10

bumble

true, but a simple "Congratulations" is generally well received.
there's no need for idiotic comments or criticism or sarky or patronising reactions.
or fecking pearl clutching and hand wringing.

that's the sort of stuff people object to - when I'm told I'm crazy or how I'll have my hands full ffs!grin

sorry for your loss btw thanks
( I had a MC too.)

Unplastered Thu 23-Jan-14 12:25:41

From my gran "you'll be giving up work then." Not a question. Er, no, actually.

From my brother, who had recently had their second "hahahaha just you wait, loads harder with 2, etc etc etc" accompanied by pointing and laughing. To which DH (who has been married before) replied politely, "you do realise this is my 4th, don't you?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now