Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

People's reactions when you told them you were pregnant... For the 2nd time

(16 Posts)
ShoesBagsDresses Mon 20-Jan-14 22:29:24

We have recently told our wonderful news that baby number 2 is on the way, and to be honest most of my friends and family's reactions has been, well a little underwhelming to say the least.

Both sets of parents and most friends pretty much said they were expecting it, they're happy for us of course. But once we announced it it was pretty much 'great news... So how's work?'
One of my sisters is about to get married and so was a little irritated I will be a pregnant bridesmaid and a couple of good friends have been struggling to conceive and so have not really had much of a responses - fair enough.

I'm not expecting party poppers and balloons or anything but, I dunno it almost seems like I'd just announced I baked a cake not that I'm having another baby. I remember The 1st time, our parents cried, my sisters hugged me, friends were over the moon.

Do you think it's my hormones or have others experienced lack of interest 2nd time round?

mummy1973 Mon 20-Jan-14 22:32:26

Sounds like my experience tbh. Congratulations to you from me!

Rockchick1984 Mon 20-Jan-14 22:35:00

We had the same experience but in all honesty I wasn't expecting the same reaction as I got first time round - we haven't made a secret of wanting another baby so it wasn't a surprise as such. Didn't bother me particularly!

OwlinaTree Mon 20-Jan-14 22:36:01

I think people push the boat out more in general for the first one.

I always send friends a gift for the baby but don't always rush to visit when it's a second baby esp if they live a distance away.

Equally, first babies seem to have the large christening parties/ 1st birthday parties which second ones don't.

I think it works both ways a bit tbh.

CrispyFB Mon 20-Jan-14 22:49:15

Yep, nobody really cared at all for any of ours past our first. It's really normal. I think it's because when you announce a pregnancy for the first time, it's not really about the baby as a person. It's about you - you're moving on to a new life stage you've not experienced before. Whereas with the second, well, you're already a mother so although at some point probably six months away there will be a new person to meet, right now there's nothing new going on. Does that make sense?

I'm on DC4 now. I was dreading telling family as they all thought (quite vocally) we should have stopped at DC3 even though we had told them we wanted four! The reaction was not as bad as I feared, but it wasn't exactly champagne grin

OwlinaTree Mon 20-Jan-14 22:51:09

I think you are are right crispy, it's to do with the new chapter in your life I suppose.

Good luck with number 4!!

Shellywelly1973 Tue 21-Jan-14 00:24:09

Wait til your on dc6 like me!

Congratulations & best of luck. x

Mrsantithetic Tue 21-Jan-14 00:37:01

Parents where pleased. I'm still coming round to the idea

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Tue 21-Jan-14 00:42:21

Oh you're far less interesting second time around. No idea why.

(I also had lots of "You'll be wanting a girl, of course." No, I want a baby. Just because dc1 is a boy doesn't mean I want, need or expect dc2 to be a girl!)

BaldHedgehog Tue 21-Jan-14 02:55:37

"Good luck, mwaaaahaaaaahaaaa" from aquitance of mine with 2 DC. She was the worst, everybody else was positive.

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 21-Jan-14 07:49:22

I feel exactly the same. DS is 6 years old so we have waited a long time for our second child. I'm currently 17 weeks and we lost a twin very early on too. Compared to our first baby when everyone was really excited and a bit OTT to be honest no one really seems that bothered this time around. Both sets of parents said congrats etc then that was it. I'm not expecting a fanfare and cheerleaders but it's just odd. Last time around MIL was buying baby clothes etc even before 12 weeks, this time around absolutely nothing. BIL and SIL have not even said congrats, makes me a bit sad sad

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 21-Jan-14 07:53:13

Like HerGraciousMag I also get the comments about "oh you must want a girl" as we have a DS and even "what will you do if it's not a girl" as well bearing in mind we have waited years for this pregnancy and almost lost this baby we just want a healthy baby, really don't mind if it's a boy or girl but some people just won't listen!

islasmummy2013 Fri 24-Jan-14 00:12:23

We got no response from some relatives, literally.. they just changed the subject rude twats others mainly gave the very irritating 'already!? Havent you got a TV?' Remark

TKKW Fri 24-Jan-14 07:58:29

Yes, happy for us but less interested really. i think the first dc is so major and second etc are lovely but not as crazily exciting.

same thing but to be fair we were less excited; first child is a life changing experience. second: just want to get the job done, through the first boring year and to the bit where they start being interesting!

Ellboo Fri 24-Jan-14 09:24:06

I had been feeling exactly the same but Crispy's post above is a brilliant explanation, and makes perfect sense. I suppose it feels odd because first time round I was shocked/terrified and this time round I am so ridiculously happy and excited, so I wish everyone else could be too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now