Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you use a carry cot to sleep in?

(13 Posts)
91chloejp Mon 20-Jan-14 18:01:35

I have a cot already for DD and I also wanted to get a Moses basket for her but DH said "we should just use the carry cot".

I didn't want to put her in the cot straight away as I want her in our room and the cot is too big to fit into our room.

Has anyone used the carry cot for night time sleeping?

If I'm honest, I'm still going to order a Moses basket but I'm curious.

Only1scoop Mon 20-Jan-14 18:03:07

I used the carrycot for daytime naps sometimes downstairs but not for night sleeping.

91chloejp Mon 20-Jan-14 18:05:39

That's what I did with DS. He hated his cot and we ended up co-sleeping anyway which made breastfeeding easier.

MrsArthurWellesley Mon 20-Jan-14 18:06:03

It really depends on the carry cot - the one that comes with the Uppababy Vista can be used for overnight sleeping. Tbh, I'm not sure what it is about it that makes it "safe" and others "unsafe". I don't know why you couldn't use the carry cot, unless you're using the term carry cot to refer to a car seat?

if you get a decent mattress (moses basket one on amazon pretty cheap) & its ok size, i dont see why not. ds1 lasted about 5 weeks in moses basket then went in cot; i guess other consideration is where you want baby to sleep and whether room for it when you graduate from carrycot to cot.

Shente Mon 20-Jan-14 18:07:02

You can with some but they must be ventilated and it must say they are safe for nighttime sleeping. Mine was (bugaboo cameleon) and I used it occasionally when I was away.

babsie007 Mon 20-Jan-14 18:07:22

Some of them you can, but you need to check with the one you have or are thinking of getting. Not all of tem are suitable for overnight sleeping (it will also tell
You this in the instruction booklet).

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 20-Jan-14 18:14:36

we bought a proper mosesbasket matress for our M&P carrycot on the travel system. The boys each slept in that instead of a moses basket for the first month or so before we transfered them to their bigger cot. and also on trips away, however, they do grow out of it very quicly and we wouldn't have got round the need for a travel cot

FrumiousBandersnatch Mon 20-Jan-14 18:14:47

The Joolz Day one is too. I think it's because it has a ventilated mattress and is slightly raised on feet.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 20-Jan-14 18:15:45

sorry you weren't asking about travel cot you were asking about moses basket. ignore.
Yes we used our carry cot from our travel system instead, we just made sure that we had changed the matress to one from mothercare designed for moses baskets.

91chloejp Mon 20-Jan-14 18:22:03

Thank you for your replies!

It's quite small so I doubt that she would even be on for long.

I think we'll just have to take out the wardrobes and put the cot in our room.

SaucyJack Mon 20-Jan-14 18:53:57

You can get basic Moses baskets from around £20 anyway.

There are only 3 or 4 brands that sell pram cots which are suitable for overnight sleeping and it's very important to pay attention to this as it's all to do with ventilation/overheating. I'd get a second hand moses basket with a new mattress if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now