Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Continue taking pre-natal vitamins after first trimester?

(7 Posts)
RadgeWeeMidden Mon 20-Jan-14 15:19:54

I'm wondering if I should continue to take the ones I'm taking (pregnacare: contain folic acid and vitamin D etc), or to switch to just a vitamin D one? My midwife said that folic acid supplements aren't required after 12 weeks. But is there a benefit in taking pre-natals all the way through?

GinGinGin Mon 20-Jan-14 15:22:33

I took my vitamins all the way through preg and until dd was about 8 mo (bfeeding)

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 15:22:54

yeah i was wondering about folic acid post 12 weeks- the jury seems to be out on it so i intend to continue.

I'm taking them all the way through, no harm in it!

Aliama Mon 20-Jan-14 15:33:30

I think it's debatable, and a matter of personal preference, so whether you feel the difference or not. I think a lot of vitamin supplements are a waste of time, tbh, but others may be worthwhile.

I've noticed a real difference in my hair since taking them, much less breakage, and I know it's not due to the pregnancy. I think it's the folic acid, so will be sticking with it even after the baby is born. (Obviously if breakage starts again ill rethink and try something else)

RaRa1988 Mon 20-Jan-14 15:46:33

I've stopped taking them this last week (at 19 weeks) because I was having a problem with bouts of constipation(sorry! blush ) and I read that taking iron can cause this or make it worse. I've been absolutely fine since I came off them, but I intend to speak to the midwife about it next week when I see her anyway.

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 15:47:10

Aliama my nails are most certainly stronger also- no breakages in months and they're normally paper thin (although i accept prego hormones are also at play).
I think it's no harm to continue taking them, in my opinion.

BEEwitched Mon 20-Jan-14 16:05:57

I would say it really depends, as research in that field is always moving - I've seen articles that say you should take Vitamin D, and other articles that name Vit D in one sentence with Vitamin A as one to avoid.

There was a recent study from a university that has shown that there might a correlation between baby developing food allergies and Vitamin D supplements in pregnancy, but at the same time a too low supply of Vitamin D is no good, either, and there hasn't been enough research to definitely confirm this link.

I take them, but don't beat myself up I forget to take them for a couple of days...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now