Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

First period post-pregnancy is v long and heavy

(5 Posts)
Pollaidh Mon 20-Jan-14 14:21:41

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post.
After my c-section I bled heavily for 10 weeks, then started the mini-pill. I had about 3 weeks without bleeding, and now have my first period, which has been going on 3 weeks. It's quite heavy, with small clots, although after 2 weeks it eased off for a couple of days and now it's back with a vengeance. I am not breastfeeding, for medical reasons.

Is this normal or should I see a doctor? I am a little anaemic anyway so I'm concerned this will make it worse. I also had a major but slow PPH with my first pregnancy, so I'm nervous about heavy bleeding.

TheOnlySeven Mon 20-Jan-14 17:22:14

It's normal for the first period after pregnancy to be very heavy, but I'd see a doctor if it's been going on for that long tbh smile

Only1scoop Mon 20-Jan-14 17:24:01

Had exactly the same post c section and starting mini pill....literally had never seen anything like it....I went to Drs and got reassured. Hope it stops soon.

MavisDee Mon 20-Jan-14 17:29:15

I had this but on the combined pill, it basically wasn't agreeing with me and my hormones post pregnancy even though had been on it for years with no problem. Swapped to a mini pill and all fine. Had to have progesterone tablets to stop the bleeding. Might be worth talking to your gp as you might have to try a different contraception.

Pollaidh Thu 23-Jan-14 20:00:44

Thanks guys, I spoke to my health visitor and she thought going back on the combined pill might do the trick and advised me to see my GP. Can't easily get there so I've just got my old supply out and will hope it works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now