Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

sex of baby

(11 Posts)
newmummy2014 Mon 20-Jan-14 13:32:06

hi has anyone been told there having one sex but had another can the sonographer be wrong

K8eee Mon 20-Jan-14 14:13:17

Hi new mummy, a friend of mine was told she was having a girl from her scan, and when the baby popped out nope.....it was a boy! grin

Pixielady83 Mon 20-Jan-14 14:13:53

yes, a friend was told girl at 20 w scan and at a late scan found out it was a boy!

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 20-Jan-14 14:26:23

Yes, they can be wrong. A friend was told girl and it was a boy.

I think that the error is more common that way round. However, I've also had a lot of friends think they saw a penis on a scan (when they didn't ask, or weren't allowed by hospital policy to be told, the sex) and had a girl.

ClearlyMoo Mon 20-Jan-14 22:02:34

How urban myth is this.... Actually true though.

I met a couple at a party a few years ago with a newborn baby girl (<6 weeks), they'd been told she was a boy and were still, 6 weeks later, slightly traumatised by the fact their boy was a girl. I did actually meet them and the gorgeous little girl!!

SqutterNutBaush Mon 20-Jan-14 22:05:27

My SIL was told she was having a boy at 2 scans, kitted out wardrobe/nursery/pram the lot only to push out a now 14 year old girl grin

AhoyMcCoy Mon 20-Jan-14 22:07:28

Yes- I know of two couples who had been told girl but found out later it was boy. One of the couples was actually quite bereft- they had "named" their girl, told their other DD she was getting a sister, imagined a whole life with two DDs, and whilst they were DELIGHTED with their gorgeous boy and wouldn't change him for the world, I remember the mum saying it was a bit like a weird sort of grief to have their little 'girl' taken away like that.

DontCallMeDaughter Mon 20-Jan-14 22:13:22

Can't remember how I know this but it's wrong about 5% of the time. I did a lot of research with my first pregnancy so it's probably something I read then....

snapple21 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:22:36

Yes, I am a student midwife and just before Xmas on the ward there was a lady who had been told girl, had numerous scans including growth scans, and had a boy.

juicyjuice Tue 21-Jan-14 13:00:58

The sonographer told us that they can only be 90% certain on a scan- that 1/ 10 chance they are wrong! We've had two scans saying it's a girl, due at the weekend so we'll know for certain soon!

newmummy2014 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:58:20

thanks every body just that at my 20 weeks scan told a boy ,wich is what i want ( but would love her if she was a girl ) at my last midwife visit when i was 28 weeks she said my babys measuring small for date so sending me for another scan i will then be 30 weeks + will this be more accurate ,and good luck juicyjuice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now