Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Think i may have SPD??

(8 Posts)
Mummytobe2014 Mon 20-Jan-14 11:49:32

Hi guys, for more than a few weeks now i have been experiecing pains around my pubic bone area, i noticed it initially when turning in bed, trying to get dressed standing up/on one leg, putting boots on etc and now its becoming more noticeable all the time, walking, standing, driving etc.

Does this sound familiar to any SPD sufferers??

Should i see my midwife or GP?

My other concern is that if it is SPD my gp will sign me off work, i am 33 weeks today with 4 weeks left of work then 1 week hols and mat leave starts 2 weeks before due date. What i dont want is to be signed off because A) I am so busy and need to train my replacement and B) I dont want work to force me to take Mat Leave early.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

OnABabyDiet Mon 20-Jan-14 11:57:48

Sounds familiar to me. I had spd with dd1, my midwife just referred me to physio for it.
I'm sure if you expressed your reluctance for being signed off, they'd do everything they could to help you out. My friend worked up til 38wks on crutches, so hopefully you'll be able to work something out with the midwife at your next appt.
Good luck smile

Mummytobe2014 Mon 20-Jan-14 12:09:46

Hi OnABabyDiet - thank you for your response.

I havent got a midwife appt booked so i think i will give her a call and explain how i feel and see what she says! I did wonder whether physio would be an option, its definately getting worse although i am still able to do everything - i just wince alot! smile

Stressedjustdoesntcoverit Mon 20-Jan-14 12:15:23

Hey mummytobe

I'm 37+5 and been suffering with spd since I was 20 weeks. Called my midwife and she confirmed what it was, she referred me to physio and advised me to rest when I can and try a support band (you can get them from mothercare) and she told to try codiene and paracetamol to take the edge off...does help when the pain is too much.

Wishing you all the luck x

SugarMiceInTheRain Mon 20-Jan-14 12:19:06

Yep, sounds like SPD. You have my sympathy, it's horrible. I'm suffering with it now (35+3). Physio was little help. All they did was give advice which I already knew and was following, and gave me a really uncomfortable support belt to wear, which doesn't alleviate the pain. Consultant today was unsympathetic, told me to try paracetamol hmm no use at all, the MAU already gave me dihydrocodeine, which is great at stopping the pain but makes you drowsy, constipated and gives me chest tightenings! confused

InPursuitOfOblivion Mon 20-Jan-14 12:27:51

Oh yeah that's SPD alright. It's bloody miserable!
I could barely walk by the end of my second pregnancy but I refused to give up work!
I had physio, support belt, painkillers and in the end a wheelchair but none of it really helps that much.
Good news is that it very quickly buggers off after delivery! So there is light at the end of the tunnel! smile

McBaby Mon 20-Jan-14 12:35:20

Sounds like SPD you just need to do all you can to not set the pain off. So no standing on one leg when dressing, or pushing supermarket trolleys abs avoid things which trigger your pain.

Work have to start mat leave if your signed off sick after 36 weeks but not before that.

Mummytobe2014 Mon 20-Jan-14 13:00:13

Thanks everyone, it is horrible. I just walked into town for some lunch and its exhausting and the pain is definately worse so will speak with my MW and she what she says! I guess like everybody else it would be physio or rest as much as you can!

Hmm not sure i fancy anything that makes me drowsy or constipated lol, i have been lucky that i havent suffered constipation yet (IBS sufferer so might miss that joy) smile

I have started to sit when dressing and will try and relax a bit more, driving is a pain though but not much i can do about that i guess!

Am glad to hear it dissapears after child birth, not sure i fancy dealing with this for months on end, i feel for the ladies who suffer throughout pregnancy from as early as 20 weeks - i guess i am lucky in comparison its only becoming noticeably more painful in the later weeks.

Even carrying washing upstairs is a painful experience. The joys of pregnancy huh!

Thanks McBaby i did wonder that, as i am leaving at 37 weeks it may be something i could discuss with them if it gets to that stage!

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now