Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Lower heart rate = boy??

(17 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Sun 19-Jan-14 22:18:04

I've had two girls and their heart rates were always about 143-150? This little one is always about 120-137. I'm 39weeks

SaucyJack Sun 19-Jan-14 22:54:46

I dunno if it's an old wives' tale, but I have heard that boys' HBs sound like trains and girls' Hbs sound like galloping horses and it's always been true for me.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 19-Jan-14 23:18:52

My boy's heart rate is always between 140-150 and it sounds like galloping hooves.

I guess I'm not very good at supporting the Old Wives Tales - not that I believe in them at all anyway grin

loopylouu Mon 20-Jan-14 13:07:25

My girl (we've had two scans at two different places saying girl!) has a 130 heart rate and it sounds like a train!

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 14:26:44

My gynae swears blind there is no way of telling and that it's a 50/50 chance at best. My GP agrees. So i dont know! Mine is around 160 but i'm hoping for a boy so want to believe it's an old wives tale!!

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 20-Jan-14 15:02:45

My boy's heart rate is always between 140 and 145 and I think it sounds like galloping hooves whereas DH thinks it sounds like a train on tracks, so I guess there's no real way of telling.

The only old wives tales re gender that I found to be accurate where the bicarb of soda test and the red cabbage test! Both said boy. They were great fun to do as entertainment in the 1st tri too grin

Pinkbell123 Mon 20-Jan-14 15:04:26

Mine's heart rate was around 160 so pretty fast and he's a boy.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 20-Jan-14 15:05:42

In the Ostler book Expecting Better she looked at this and concluded, based on the studies, that it was bullshit. Though she used more polite language grin

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 15:06:06

Stars, give us the details on those 2 tests- if nothing else they sound like fun. I'm not finding out for another 3 weeks so it would kill time nicely!

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 20-Jan-14 15:27:45

Chica ok here you are, I think they're more accurate when done in the 1st tri, although after I did them my SIL, cousin, friend and a colleage did them, they were all in 3rd tri and knew what they were having (1 other boy, 2 girls) and they were right for them too, and as you say it's a good lighthearted way to pass the time.

Baking soda test: this YouTube video explains it better than I can www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT-53hlCJjc
Basically you put a teaspoon of baking soda (I used Dr Oetker) into a cup and then add some of your wee into the cup. If it froths/foams up like the head of a pink of guiness would, it's a boy. If it does nothing and juts goes a bit cloudy but you can still see the separate layers of wee and baking soda when you look through the side of the glass, it's a girl.

Red cabbage test: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmypi0VZ9U
You roughly chop up half a red cabbage, and add it to a pot of boiling water. Boil it for ten minutes, strain, then allow the water to cool. Put the red cabbage water in a cup, then add the same amount of your wee. If the colour changes to a reddish/crimson/pinky purple, it's a boy but if it stay the deep bluey indigo-y/violet purple it's a girl. Again it's easier to tell when you look through the side of the cup.

With both of them you're looking for a reaction, if you get a reaction it's a boy, if nothing happens it's a girl. DH did tests with his wee too, just so that we could see what a "boy" result should look like. My results were very similar to his, although a bit less dramatic! I should also add that I used disposable plastic cups!!! grin

I wouldn't swear by it, but it's good fun, DH loved doing it! grin

Wuxiapian Mon 20-Jan-14 15:46:08

My MW told me boys have a slower, steadier heart rate.

galwaygirl Mon 20-Jan-14 15:50:58

My two DC always had the same fetal heartrate (and the whole pregnancy was the same) and I've one girl and one boy so it wasn't true for us anyway!
Have you looked up nub theory? That seems a bit more reliable. We were told (accurately) the sex at our first scan at 12w 6 days although he did say only about 70% sure and it was with the boy which is apparently easier to see.

galwaygirl Mon 20-Jan-14 15:52:06

Just saw you're 39 weeks so past finding out at scans anyway. Guess you don't have much longer to wait!

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 15:56:31

oh great- thanks for that Stars- definitely going to do those tonight! it's a bit of fun and i'll get to cross reference the results in a few weeks smile

Galwaygirl, i'm convinced that because they couldnt tell me at 13 weeks that it's a girl- for the same reason as you were able to find out.. existence of willly! My SIL found out at 12 weeks on both her boys (big willies!!) whereas she didnt find out til 20 weeks with the 2 girls..

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 20-Jan-14 18:32:49

You're very welcome Chica, hope you have fun with it smile

Droflove Mon 20-Jan-14 19:17:50

Apparently it's scientifically true BUT the difference is slight and as it changes over a short period of time, even having your conception date off by a day or two can mean you are benchmarking the numbers wrong. That probably didn't make sense but if you are interested, do a google search for actual research on it.

blushingmare Mon 20-Jan-14 19:42:35

When I was in early labour the midwife listened to baby's heartbeat and said "sounds like a boy". He wasn't so sure when DD popped out 12 hours later grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now