Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

the dreaded 37 week "period" pains

(11 Posts)

just as it says really. a rant.

with ds1 i was booked to be induced @39 plus a few days. from about 37 weeks i had a lot of, often painful, period like pains. having never been through it all before i thought labour was imminent and i would escape induction.

how wrong could i be. not only was labour not imminent i wasnt even remotely favourable when i went in.

same pains this time round, but not being induced til 40+6. thought id learnt my lesson last time but still cant help think it might happen.

whats anyone elses experiences been with "period pains": actually led to anything or just left you annoyingly still pregnant weeks later? obviously wanting to hear about people where it meant nothing the first time but second time round meant a fast painfree labour was around the corner.

comfyonesie2 Sun 19-Jan-14 11:42:08

Hope this helps - I was induced with DS1 at 41+4, DS2 arrived 2 days before his due date. I seem to remember I had period pains on and off for about 2 weeks before he was born, and kept thinking 'is this it?' When it all started it was textbook - mucous plug went, contractions started, waters broke, contractions got stronger, went to hospital, he was born a few hours later. So, it is entirely possible that all these period pains you are getting are a pre-cursor to labour! How many weeks are you now?

gemmaj66 Sun 19-Jan-14 14:00:56

Don't give up hope!

Currently 37 weeks with DC4. All my labours have kicked off in totally different ways, but the good news is with one of them I had period type pain for 4 or 5 hours which then turned into strong steady contractions and DC arrived about 20 hours later.

Another time my waters broke but nothing else happened for ages. The worst one was when I had a show followed by stop start contractions for 2 weeks! But just because nothing much happened with the period pains last time doesn't mean it won't all kick off this time OP so will keep my fingers crossed for you. smile

thanks!

im 37 + 5 today. more period pains tonight but seems to be every night. had a kind of thick discharge this afternoon but it wasnt unusual in colour and being a totally disgusting human being i did a google images search on "mucus plug"; didnt look much look like and of those (and would recommend not doing that search its gross).

iv got a hot water bottle for the period pain so it is reasonably strong but not any actual contractions. itsprobably the overeating.

comfyonesie2 Sun 19-Jan-14 21:17:18

Hope it does lead to contractions, but the period type pains could go on for days, it's a bit frustrating but try to think of it as your body getting ready for the real thing. It's all positive! How long before your planned Induction? Hopefully you will start naturally before then.

Hi I'm 37wks 5days smile
I've had a number of really bad days with strong period pain type cramps, and I thought something must be beginning but it never has sad I wouldn't mind the pain if something was actually happening but it's so frustrating when nothing comes of it!!
With my first my waters broke out of the blue at 37 weeks so was hoping for something similar this time, except I have been prepared much early on, which is even more frustrating!!
Hate all this waiting and not knowing when something is going to happen.
Hope something starts for you soon.

SicknSpan Mon 20-Jan-14 18:43:24

Lots of period pains and painful Braxton hicks at 34 weeks for me with ds2- examined and was 3 cm dilated so admitted to hospital thinking this was it but no! On and off pains for another 5 weeks dagnammit! He arrived at 38+6.

annoying isnt it? im 37+6 today. obstetrician did a stretch (for medical reasons they would normally induce me a bit early but letting me go to 40+5), not at all dilated but cervix shortening. had period like pain quite strongly and consistently. think things gradually getting ready but probably nothing actually happening.

schokolade Mon 20-Jan-14 22:43:20

i'm 39+5 and have had period pains - especially in the night - for several weeks now. they seem to be getting stronger though, so maybe??

Catsize Tue 21-Jan-14 05:16:22

Is there a medical reason for inducing you so early each time? Hope things kick off naturally for you! I had a three-day induction started at 42wks. Don't want that again!

type 1 diabetes, so my hospital has standard 38 week induction policy; as my condition is very well controlled and I am on my second straightforward pregnancy, my consultant is comfortable with me going slightly over dates this time so long as twice weekly foetal and placenta monitoring are ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now