Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which brand of multivitamins??

(16 Posts)
Nicole3291 Sat 18-Jan-14 20:22:51

Hiya, I have just found out I am 4/5 weeks pregnant smile Due around the 25th September 2014 - 1st baby.
I'm very keen to start my vitamins and I am aware that ALL brands will hold the recommended amount of vitamins required but they vary so much in price. I really want ones that include omega 3 as I've read many studies that they help the child's development but again so many different brands vary in price massively!!!
Can anyone please help out and let me know if there is a difference between the pricey brands or say Boots own, or if you can let me know the cheapest place to order them.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated! smile Thanks!

Cariad007 Sat 18-Jan-14 21:09:04

I just bought the Superdrug own brand ones and they've been fine. There's usually some sort of offer on so they work out as much better value than the "name" brands.

MissSlackPants84 Sat 18-Jan-14 21:19:44

I just bought the vitamins I felt I needed from sainsburys own range (Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin C and Iron)

I try and get as much of my required vitamins from my food but its not always possible when I'm chundering every few hours!

Avoid multivitamins unless they are specifically for pregnant women, you need to avoid some like Vitamin A

Hubbythecatandme Sat 18-Jan-14 21:32:24

Hello Nicole and congrats. I bought mine from Asda but they were a bit expensive, about £10. Pregnacare Plus. My GP also prescribed me 8mg of folic acid to take in addition to that because my BMI is over 30.
If you want somewhere maybe a bit cheaper perhaps you should have a look online. I have used ebay before (I would use a seller with a high satisfaction score, make sure they are reliable) and they were good.

EdithWeston Sat 18-Jan-14 21:40:01

Congratulations!

Do look in Antenatal Clubs for the 'due in September' thread, (if you haven't already) as that may well be valuable for you.

On vitamins, folic acid is important. But you don't really need to look out for any of the others. The pricey brands don't really offer any benefit.

Essexgirlupnorth Sat 18-Jan-14 21:42:59

Bought the boots ones with second capsule of omega 3 but they made me constipated so stopped taking them and was just taking folic acid and vitamin d

sambababy Sat 18-Jan-14 21:49:04

I've been using the boots pregnancy support plus with no problems, but just recently they didn't have them in my local shops so I got pregnacare which works out about £10 more when buying 3 for 2. Pregnacare doesn't have any calcium, which is why I originally went for boots.

katatonic Sat 18-Jan-14 22:08:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMummy Sun 19-Jan-14 08:33:03

I take pregnacare plus which has a vitamin and an omega capsule.

I get it online from amazon as its half the price you would pay in the shops.

moomin35 Sun 19-Jan-14 10:35:42

I havent been taken any (is that really bad??) because they are all so massive, does anyone know what the smallest easiest ones to take are available, i will spend any amount just to get something easy to swallow!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 19-Jan-14 12:45:06

I take Sanatogen Mum To Be supplements.
I'm also on 5mg Folic Acid a day and iron supplements - these are both prescribed though.

moomin - I don't know if the ones I take are considered big or small but I find them much easier to take then the Pregnacare ones that I first started on.

212smj Sun 19-Jan-14 15:06:32

I take Pregnacare Plus which is 2 tablets, an Omega 3 tablet and a vitamin tablet. They are often on offer in Boots 3 for 2, or they are a bit cheaper on Anazon if you don't want to buy in bulk.

MyNameIsWinkly Sun 19-Jan-14 15:09:48

I take the tesco ones with omega 3, 3 for 2 at the minute and they don't seem to cause constipation like some other brands (rather the opposite in fact.)

DorotheaHomeAlone Sun 19-Jan-14 16:40:42

Hey moomin, you do need to be taking the folic acid but everything else can mostly come from diet. I take tiny boots own brand tablets. Just folic acid and vit D. I didn't like pregnacare and my mw seemed very happy with these.

babsie007 Mon 20-Jan-14 12:48:22

I went to
Docs and he have me a script for pregnacare!! Love freebies :-)

Armadale Mon 20-Jan-14 12:53:23

The Pregnacare one with the extra tablet with omega 3 is really good (you have to be careful about normal 'fish oil' vitamins in pregnancy) but it is quite pricey, about £6 on Amazon for a month is the cheapest I've found,

However, Sainsbury's do their own version of it with omega 3,here, it is £5 a month but always on 3 for 2, so it works out about £3.30 a month that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now