Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Got to be induced :(

(25 Posts)
StillPukin Tue 14-Jan-14 11:12:15

Ah ok, I suppose if I don't ask I wont get.

That would soften the blow to be honest,,, its the whole hospital experience that I'm dreading but if I could get a little room to myself it wouldn't be AS bad (oh come on little baby, any time this week would be so good smile)

TarkaTheOtter Tue 14-Jan-14 03:59:48

I didn't have to pay for the room for the induction so you might be lucky. With my first I had the pessary on the ward but the policy has changed now so all the inductions are done in ensuite, private, side rooms.

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 20:58:48

Thank you Tarka, I had no idea how long each bit took or how many they did.
Wish I could afford a private room - maybe I could sell my body,,, 2 for the price of 1! lol

TarkaTheOtter Mon 13-Jan-14 20:53:23

StillPukin my hospital use the pessary/tampon thing. Unless it puts you into labour itself, they will check you again after 24hrs. At this point if you are a bit dilated (about 2cm is enough) they will break water and check drip. If not, they will put another one in for a further 6hrs. If you still haven't dilated it'll be a section. But that's unlikely as it's your second.
I never had any "painful" contractions whilst the pessary was in (although it did work first time) so I sent dh home but I think they would have let him stay as I was in a private room with reclining chair. I'd have thought you could make a fuss if you were in pain and they'd let him stay.

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 20:43:54

Btw doctorbrownbear congratulations on your newest little one smile x

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 20:43:07

Thanks doctorbrownbear, my little one is back-to-back too, so its good to hear it can still go smoothly.

Apparently they wont use the gel though, its a kind of tampon with a slow release hormone - I really hope they wont send DH home if it seems to be taking a long time, how long do they usually take?? I spent the whole of my first labour on my own right up until baby arriving many hours later. I think thats another one of the things bothering me (and knowing the hospital is as clean as a 3rd world country).

Doctorbrownbear Mon 13-Jan-14 20:35:29

I was induced 5 days ago and had a really positive birth. Had gel at 8pm, contractions on and off all night, varying in strength they broke my waters at 8am and I suddenly went from 4cm to 10 cm in 20 mins.... baby born 30 mins later and despite being back to back it was perfectly straight forward. It doesn't have to be bad. My last birth was horrendous, long and ended in forceps and long recovery. It might be ok this time. Think positive thoughts!

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 20:26:51

Aw, you're all so wise.

Thank you for your support, I really do appreciate it. I am starting to feel a little more positive (a good ole cry helps blush).

So, for tonight, all I can do is focus on getting in the mood and putting DH to use ;)

x

Fwiw, I had an induction with DS1 at T+15 and it was fine, honestly (heavily medicalised, but a positive birthing experience nonetheless), so don't be too freaked out by the fact that it is less likely to happen in the MLU.

Did you go over dates with your DC1?

Yes, they will be advising induction due to your age as your placental function might drop off quicker. They might be the 'professionals' but they don't have crystal balls and they are advising you with the evidence base of statistics behind them - nobody can predict what might happen for you.

So, really your aim is to get this labour started naturally, isn't it?
Get scrubbing those skirting boards on hands and knees, go for long walks if you can manage (I swear that DS3's labour was started because is was running after DS2 who had just had the stabilisers taken off his bike..), have sex or masturbate and spend a little time with your bum lower than your feet as possible (no slouching on the sofa with your feet up). All of this may or may not work of course wink, but at least you'll know you've given it your best shot.

And yes, having done it once before, your body is likely to be primed and ready to go. Whenever you get next seen they are likely to examine you again and offer a sweep if your cervix is at all favourable.
So imagine yourself a lotus flower, a gently opening lotus flower... <falls over laughing>
Ahem. Sorry. Got carried away.

Just don't give up hope. Biology is a funny old dear and might surprise you. And if you do have an induction, it can still be a good birth.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 13-Jan-14 16:39:52

Stillpukin - there's 13.5 years between my DC. I thought my body would've forgotten, but nope!

You can only face the labour you are faced with on the day. Have an open minded birth plan/preferences and make sure your birth partner is prepared to support you as understands what you want.

Good luck!

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 13-Jan-14 16:23:28

I think it's a bit like riding a bike. I don't think your body forgets wink

TarkaTheOtter Mon 13-Jan-14 16:23:24

My cervix was posterior and firm with both my babies and it still only took one pessary to dilate me enough to break my waters (was about 2-3cm). You have no idea how your body will respond to the drugs so don't be two pessimistic.

My hospital has also instigated private rooms with recliners for the pessary stage now so dh could have stayed (I sent him home to rest in the end).

Try to stay mobile whilst the pessary is in. I walked laps of the hospital during my induction and everytime I did the stairs it would give me a good contraction. I think the baby's head banging on the cervix helps!

I had the drip once my waters were gone and despite being on my back dd was born with only 8mins pushing (with epidural) and ds with 20mins (no epidural sad ).

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 16:20:55

Thanks like your positivity and support - yes I've had 1 DC before (14 yrs ago yikes)
I'm currently working very hard at getting a grip lol when all I want to do is cry

AnythingNotEverything Mon 13-Jan-14 16:16:23

I went in to be induced 12 weeks ago with DC2. After monitoring baby I was examined, and I was already 4cm with no warning. They broke my waters, contractions started, and baby arrived five hours later.

It was a lovely labour.

It sounds like you've given birth before - the chances are your body will know what to do!

ChicaMomma Mon 13-Jan-14 16:10:26

I know loads of positive induction stories too- more of them than not. Just make a decent birth plan for yourself so they know what's what.
At the end of the day if they recommend a section then GO WITH IT- i know so many people who went against advice and then ended up with an emergency section after 17 hrs of labour anyway.. that is MY ultimate nightmare.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 13-Jan-14 16:08:25

Oh, poor you sad. Induction is one of my big fears too.

Although you don't have to be induced and can refuse, if you do you will be classed as high risk by most hospitals, so they will not allow you to use the birth centre anyway. This is actually one of the reasons I'm planning home birth - my dates were moved forward over a week at my 12 week scan, rendering my baby an immaculate conception, and since both past babies have come at least 8 days late, I'm convinced there is a good chance I will go over their +14.

However, I came on here to give some positive stories? I assume that if you were planning to use the birth suite you had a vaginal birth before? Two of my friends were induced for no. 2 and both had really positive, straightforward labours. If you have a 'proven cervix' your odds of a good induction and going with just the pessary are apparently very much increased.

mrsmugoo Mon 13-Jan-14 16:05:07

Even if you do get induced you may not need to have a drip - pessary / break waters could be enough to get you started.

You can still dim the lights and make the room comfortable and have a birth centre like experience.

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 16:01:33

I'm glad you've got yours planned and its all looking good - hope it goes well smile x

ChicaMomma Mon 13-Jan-14 15:59:34

yeah it is probably because of age alright.
Even if they let you go 20 days you might not still go on your own unfortunately.. they have to have a cap on it.
I'm delighted they have agreed in princoiple to induce me on the day i'm due- i dont want to go over at ALL. if baby is fully cooked there's no good reason to hold on (at least not in my mind)

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 15:52:58

I know I could refuse an induction but I'm going on the thought that they are the professionals and they know best.

I dont know what size the baby is, all I know is it is slightly above the line on the chart. Could it be because of my age?? I'm 40.

Its not so much that I'm assuming the worst, the biggest issue for me is that I don't want to go into hospital rather than the birthing suite after my previous experience there, and its really not how I'd wanted everything to be (plus I am very nervous of the intervention especially the c-section sad)

ChicaMomma Mon 13-Jan-14 15:43:21

have they mentioned what size the baby is?
one of the reasons for putting a 14 day limit on it is because the baby can start getting too big after that.

It may all be fine- i know plenty of people who have been induced and had a great labour. Youre assuming the worst already.

My consultant says she is actually in favour of inducing on the day- it makes little odds doing in then versus +14 days and baby is a lb smaller. I know a girl who went to the same consultant who was actually induced 5 days early. I would LOVE that.

MrsHowardRoark Mon 13-Jan-14 15:39:47

You don't have to be induced if you don't want it.

You could request more monitoring to give yourself more time. It's your body and your baby so if there is no definite medical risk then you have every right to delay things.

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 15:30:00

I will be two weeks over due which is why I'll need to be induced - apparently they will only let it go 14 days over, which will be the c-section day.

I know there is time for things to change but judging by my cervix (sorry tmi blush) it is looking unlikely

Why do you have to have an induction?

Sorry to hear that things are not as straightforward as you'd hoped.

StillPukin Mon 13-Jan-14 15:22:41

Its the total opposite of how I'd planned/wanted the birth to be.

I had my DS in the hospital and it was truly awful. I was left on my own ALL day and it was utterly filthy and I was really scared. So this time I'd decided to avoid the hospital and use the birthing suite, have my DH with me the whole time (regardless of what the staff want) and I would thoroughly research everything be calm and take control. But there's no way any of that can happen now.
And I'm absolutely dreading the induction - there'll be 2 chances (for which I'll have to stay in hospital for, ugh) then a c-section the day after if they don't work.

Sorry to moan but I am so upset. Why does nothing go to plan lol. I just feel so bloody useless, there's nothing I can do to change anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now