Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Do I have to wash all baby clothes

(44 Posts)
SweetPea86 Sun 12-Jan-14 13:57:23

Every thing is brand new do I have to wash it all or is it ok for baby to wear. First baby I'm clueless lol

OhCaptainDarling Sun 12-Jan-14 14:06:24

My view is this: new doesn't mean clean!

Having worked in retail, I can tell you stock rooms are dirty, and lots of stock is dump on the floor. Also manufacturers put some funny chemical in the fabric.

So best to wash, non-bio washing detergent.

Quite nice to get everything washed and ready!

WeeTeaJenny Sun 12-Jan-14 14:07:34

I took tags off and put baby straight into clothes .
Some hand knitted gifts however smelled off smoke ( elderly smoker relative ) so of course these were washed before first use
I think it just depends on yourself ? There will be plenty of washing to come so it can be nice to have things just ready to pop on...

TarkaTheOtter Sun 12-Jan-14 14:07:48

I would, but I also wash my own stuff as I have had reactions to new clothes.

I didn't.

SqutterNutBaush Sun 12-Jan-14 14:11:22

I would.

My DS' eczema flares up if I put new stuff on him.

As mentioned above stock ends up on floors, can get caught in rain and think of the people who pick it up before you.

EssentialCoffee Sun 12-Jan-14 14:23:51

Not something I've ever bothered with myself wink

HomeHypno Sun 12-Jan-14 15:13:21

You have no idea if the stuff you bought has been a return or been on the shop floor so definitely wash everything before the baby wears it BUT leave tags on and keep receipts if you are unsure about whether stuff actually fits or not. From that point of view this may be a task you leave until the baby is born, apart from a few essential pieces of clothing.

Ragwort Sun 12-Jan-14 15:28:02

I never did (and yes, worked in retail as well) - just wouldn't even cross my mind grin. Actually most of my baby's stuff was hand-me-downs, and I probably didn't wash them either grin.

mixi82 Sun 12-Jan-14 15:37:18

I'm going to wash all of mine. Two reasons, firstly because I want my baby to be in fresh clothes that I know are definitely clean and secondly, because it's going to be a nice experience of preparing clothes and they'll smell nice too! This will be my first too smile

gamerchick Sun 12-Jan-14 15:38:58

I never did.

But of a pain to wash something to find it didn't fit/wasn't the flavour you were expecting etc and couldn't return it.

CrispyFB Sun 12-Jan-14 16:07:21

I did with my first two but couldn't be bothered with my third, did him no harm, and probably won't for this one!

chickydoo Sun 12-Jan-14 16:11:31

I never did, 4 kids & too much washing anyway. I looked on it as being a bit OTT

SweetPea86 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:12:39

Thanks ladies, yes your right about things falling on floor etc in shops. I have some vests in packaging I think I will leave them but wash every thing else. Nothing better than the smell of fresh washing powder on your clothes I guess....oh part from new baby smell smile

SJBean Sun 12-Jan-14 16:19:14

Just make sure you definitely need all the stuff as so many people buy you clothes when the baby arrives that you end up with loads. If you wash you can't take back if you need to. Maybe just wash the essential bits. I will always remember how weird but very lovely it was to have all the little baby things hanging out to dry while I was waiting for my first to arrive smile

Shellywelly1973 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:41:30

I'm on dc6 but always wash new baby clothes.

I only wash what i absolutely need incase of returns.

clara26 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:45:44

I also worked in retail so yeah I would. I don't wash clothes for me but I would for a baby.

Mmolly2013 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:47:45

What about baby clothes in seal packaging are they ok to leave unwashed

HomeHypno Sun 12-Jan-14 16:58:27

Well the packages are quite easy to open and re-seal so..... I keep thinking of the multi-packs of knickers etc you find in supermarkets thrown around on the floor with contents scattered.... I am pretty sure the retailers aren't good samaritans who throw all thise away.... Pretty sure they get re-folded and re-packaged and no-one is any wiser...

SqutterNutBaush Sun 12-Jan-14 16:59:17

Mmolly there are a huge amount of chemicals on packaged clothing to stop it creasing, fading and to keep it soft.

Haahoooo Sun 12-Jan-14 17:05:44

I washed, and am still washing, all DD's new clothes now at 16 months. Just re remove any chemicals or shop 'dirt'. Am interested to hear from fellow 'washers' at what age you stopped. It still feels like the right thing to do -DD likes to lick her clothes--...

ch1134 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:15:48

surely it's completely your own choice? I love putting on new clothes before the first wash. A friend once told me how unhygienic and nasty this is, but I just thought she was over the top. I honestly don't believe a baby would catch anything or be harmed by brand new clothes. I'm just rewashing the second hand ones that have been stored for a while and smell a bit musty

rachyconks Sun 12-Jan-14 17:18:02

Didn't with DD and definitely won't with this one. I have enough washing already!

Mmolly2013 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:20:57

Ok I'll be washing all mine then, with non bio is it. Just don't wan to wash stuff then they don't fit baby so can't refund. smile

lanbro Sun 12-Jan-14 17:29:41

I didn't with my two but maybe if you've got a family history of allergies it might be a good idea. Always wash second hand things though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now