Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you make yourself do your pelvic floors?

(13 Posts)
sambababy Tue 07-Jan-14 18:34:01

I've been told to do my pelvic floor exercises twice a day, 3 different exercises, 10 reps each. But I have zero motivation!! It's not like they're hard, but I keep saying I'll do them later, and later never materialises. Does anyone have any clever tips? You would think the threat of weeing myself would be enough.

ReallyGoodDrawer Tue 07-Jan-14 18:36:27

My mum told me to do them every time I washed my hands. Good way to remember I suppose, little and often throughout the day!

AnnaBanana25 Tue 07-Jan-14 18:37:45

Well, reading forums has helped me as every time I read 'pelvic floor' I do my exercises!! I'm terribly forgetful even though the threat of weeing myself isn't great!

In all seriousness, I read a tip somewhere to put stickers/post its/anything that will remind you around the house. Every time you see the reminder, do the exercises. I really should take my own advice and do this, thought it sounded like a good idea.

sambababy Wed 08-Jan-14 11:01:49

Thanks ladies, both very good ideas! It's no wonder I was never a gym bunny is it grin.
Tbh sometimes I'm pretty sure I'm doing them wrong anyway, like holding my breath, but hopefully it helps a little bit!

moomin35 Tue 14-Jan-14 13:30:44

I am not sure of I am doing them correctly when I do remember to do them, how do you know how to do them or if youre doing them right?

sambababy Tue 14-Jan-14 15:45:27

I have the same feeling sometimes moomin. My Pilates instructor said you need to squeeze upwards with the muscles you would use if you wanted to stop having a wee, without contracting your tummy muscles. The hardest thing for me is not holding my breath!

Cariad007 Tue 14-Jan-14 15:50:20

If you want some motivation to do them then I suggest you read the stories on here of incontinence following childbirth. Nothing motivates me to get squeezing faster than that!

jessplussomeonenew Sun 19-Jan-14 17:46:15

If you have a smartphone there are apps that remind you and have timed sessions with increasing intensity etc.

ChicaMomma Mon 20-Jan-14 10:14:59

i do mine every day in the shower. 3x 15 and a hold. Anything else is a bonus. Oh and i'm doing them now !

I fear i have left it too late though, get 'wee escape' when i sneeze. Am only 18 weeks so maybe i have time to strengthen them still.

dats Mon 20-Jan-14 11:48:21

I've found that habit is key. I aim for 3x a day, but it's usually 2x. First thing in the morning before get out of bed and last thing at night while I'm am reading.

And every time I get distracted midway or think I can't be arsed, I think of the words 'vaginal prolapse' grin

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 20-Jan-14 11:51:44

Do them when you brush your teeth, stop at a traffic light, wait for the kettle to boil. Later in you can do them every time you feed the baby.

Basically do them all the time, make it a habit. I used to have a smartphone reminder when I was getting into the habit.

Pollaidh Mon 20-Jan-14 14:28:44

there is a free NHS app as well as a free app from one of the towel companies, called Pelvic Floor Fitness. They remind you and take you through the exercises.

cravingcake Mon 20-Jan-14 14:48:52

If you are breastfeeding then do tem every time you feed baby. As past posters have said if you want motivation read some of the childbirth injury threads.

I had a 4th degree tear with DC1 and am 39 weeks with DC2 and its only been the last couple of weeks when i've had wee leakage (simply due to weight of baby now) as if i dont do mine religiously i could be doubly incontenent, so thats motivation enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now