Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does going bowling count as heavy lifting?

(22 Posts)
NorthEasterlyGale Sat 28-Dec-13 10:49:58

I went bowling at 20-something weeks last time - can't remember exactly how far along I was. 'Twas fine - but then, I used to bowl a lot many years ago and do have my own kit so was confident in what I was doing. There was another lass there who was in very early pregnancy and chose not to bowl - best to do whatever feels right for you.

DS2 is due in February and I'll be bowling when we go on hols in January when I'll be around 34/35 weeks. Won't have my kit with me so will use house stuff and see how I go. Can always join my 18 month old and use a ramp!

Bearfrills Sat 28-Dec-13 10:20:37

I went bowling at six weeks in this pregnancy. I just used the lightest ball and was careful not to be too energetic with flinging it down the lane, more for ligament and muscle injury than anything else (I'm hypermobile so pregnancy muscle relaxing hormones work a little bit too well on me!).

It was fine but if its going to play on your mind, just don't go. It doesn't make you precious, we all have different worries and concerns.

The lifting thing was explained to me as first trimester, nothing heavier than 40lbs, second trimester nothing heavier than 30lbs and third trimester nothing heavier than 15lbs. That was from a physiotherapist and she said it was to protect my muscles/joints/ligaments rather than the baby she obviously didn't clock my massive toddler though

It's not precious to try to avoid injury hmm

i meant two stone

im 35 weeks have a toddler in excess of stone and currently spending much of my time lifting furniture to and fro from attic.....i really couldnt comment on a bowling ball!!!!

Nothing constructive to add that hasn't already been said, but what ever happened to the cake lady? Was her baby ok in the end?

Ah first baby?

Currently 33 weeks and been carrying my 2 stone toddler the whole time.

Sadly life gets in the way after you've had your first so you can't be as precious the next time round sad

CrispyFB Fri 27-Dec-13 22:32:15

Yeah, you'll be fine so long as you don't really fling the thing. It's you that is in danger rather than baby - it's much much easier to pull a muscle, basically! So not the weight of the ball as such, but the action of flinging something heavy around if you see what I mean. So chuck it gently!

LumpyBumpyMum Fri 27-Dec-13 21:34:30

I went at 34 weeks pregnant. Just used the lightest ball and didn't throw too hard.
I think you should be fine at 6 weeks.

I went bowling at about 16 weeks and really hurt my hip. It's not the picking up of the ball so much as the twisting, lunging and throwing bit. Your ligaments are looser and prone to injury.

I have to lift and carry my toddler and that hurts too!

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 27-Dec-13 19:27:32

I thought heavy lifting was not a good idea cos your stomach muscle are badically non existent as you get heavily pregnant. You'll be fine

Misty9 Fri 27-Dec-13 19:24:37

I went bowling when pregnant with first, and def injured my pelvic area, but I had spd later on too. I'd be careful with regards to ligaments stretching, but could use one of the ramps?!

Back2Two Fri 27-Dec-13 18:22:49

The action of chucking a bowling ball is quite a strong one.
Sometimes your body "follows" more than you want it to. The actual weight of the ball isn't the only issue.
You can try and be careful but it has it's risks.
And I'm really not risk averse.

wonderstuff Fri 27-Dec-13 18:19:25

The reason heavy lifting is an issue is because all your ligaments are relaxed and it's easier to injure yourself. I'm not sure I would go, pregnant mothers of toddlers don't tend to fling them around. If you go be a bit careful.

Shellywelly1973 Fri 27-Dec-13 18:18:31

Honestly I've never not lifted or carried something because i was pregnant.

Are there some sort of guidelines as i thought it was an old wives tale!

I once stripped a bathroom when 5 months pregnant. Removed tiles, bath, basin& loo. Ds is almost 9 now.

Back2Two Fri 27-Dec-13 18:13:55

I'm not so sure that the chucking of a weight such as bowling is is such a good idea TBH
But, that's just my opinion.

LynetteScavo Fri 27-Dec-13 18:10:08

Bowling balls ate not very heavy and you are not very pregnant. You will be fine!

How do you think heavily pregnant others of toddlers manage?

Shellywelly1973 Fri 27-Dec-13 18:09:18

You'll be fine. It's a long time since I've been bowling but I'm very sure it doesn't count as heavy lifting.

I'm 35 +3 & the wardrobes I moved today probably would be classed as heavy lifting!

KingRollo Fri 27-Dec-13 17:58:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marrow Fri 27-Dec-13 17:53:30

You'll be fine!

Umm-do you think that those pg with babies/toddlers stop picking them up smile? Bowling balls really aren't that heavy grin!

VJONES1985 Fri 27-Dec-13 17:49:08

I'm going bowling on Sunday when I will be 6+3. Is it safe to do so or does bowling count as the heavy lifting we are not supposed to do while preggo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now