Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Restless leg syndrome

(21 Posts)

Anyone had this? I'm now 25 weeks pregnant and somedays my legs just feel weird???? Sorry about the bad description I just can't explain it but its like I have to move my legs about to relieve them, theyre almost tingly......This is my third pregnancy and I've never experienced this before is it worth mentioning to midwife? Or just one of those odd unexplained symptoms of pregnancy - it's a really strange and frustrating feeling???? Weird!!!!

Writerwannabe83 Fri 27-Dec-13 13:34:26

I sympathise with this. I'm 26 weeks and have been suffering from this for what seems like forever and it is soul destroying. It has been slowly worsening since 24 weeks and Trying to sleep is a nightmare because my feet and calves just throb and tingle constantly and nothing makes any difference. I'm averaging about 4 hours sleep a night now and I'm exhausted. I just sit up and night crying and wishing I could chop my legs off. I try hot water bottles, paracetamol, warm baths, elevation, everything that has been suggested and it makes absolutely no difference. I'm so miserable and my poor husband is taking the brunt - I had quite an emotional breakdown this morning because I'm just so fed up of it. I need sleep. If I have an active day they hurt at the end of it and if I have a lazy day they hurt at the end of it too. I've had a really crappy pregnancy but the issues with my restless legs is the one thing that is going to break me. Apparently it's just part of pregnancy so I guess we have to just ride it out....

FastWindow Fri 27-Dec-13 13:37:20

Bananas are your friends. Keeping your feet cool helps too. Also massage your kneecaps. Hth!!

And congratulations!

jellyandcake Fri 27-Dec-13 13:38:35

23 weeks and it's driving me mad! Have heard bananas recommended but they aren't really making a difference to me.

Ra88 Fri 27-Dec-13 13:40:26

Iv had it throughout my pregnancy and nothing seems to relieve it ! Now 37 weeks !

Shitballs Fri 27-Dec-13 13:47:11

I had this. Bananas helped.

jellyandcake Fri 27-Dec-13 15:09:51

I've made banana muffins to try to up my banana consumption though don't know if the cooking process might reduce their effectiveness?

DirtyThree Fri 27-Dec-13 15:17:04

I used together this as a teenager and had it when pg with dd. it's vile so you have my sympathies...

I suspect this is all in my head but it seemed to be worse if I even vaguely needed a wee.

Oh and the best thing I found to get to sleep at night when suffering was to erm, pleasure oneself blush..,

DirtyThree Fri 27-Dec-13 15:17:48

... used to get this

Ahem

<whispers>

masturbate

learnasyougo Fri 27-Dec-13 16:50:12

I'm 26 weeks too and I get this mostly from if I stay up too late or let myself get too tired. it's the only pattern i can spot. bananas make no difference.

Misty9 Fri 27-Dec-13 16:57:48

25wks here and have had this for weeks. Def worse if I stay up too late and feel very tired. Will try bananas tho...and maybe the other suggestion ;)

mincepeyes Fri 27-Dec-13 17:04:37

I had this, found out at 28wks that I was anaemic, was given iron tablets and they helped a lot...

BitScary Fri 27-Dec-13 17:29:03

Yes please check your iron levels, supplements got rid of this misery for me.

lalouche Fri 27-Dec-13 19:25:09

I heard support stockings can help too.

DirtyThree Fri 27-Dec-13 19:27:18

<high fives mrsnoodlehead>

SmeeHee Fri 27-Dec-13 19:31:21

Foot and leg massage worked for me, if DH was available, and MrsNoodleHead 's suggestion when he wasn't. grin

SmeeHee Fri 27-Dec-13 19:34:47

Oh sorry - it was DirtyThree 's suggestion too. Somehow managed to miss that first read through the thread!

TobyLerone Fri 27-Dec-13 20:12:54

God, it's awful. I had this, and restless arms too. I second/third the advice about iron levels. I've been on iron tablets since about 33 weeks and it's much better since.

Thanks for the replies I'll mention it to the mw and definitely give the bananas a go........ I'll also mention to my hubby about the other... Haha!! wink

StillPukin Sun 29-Dec-13 16:36:14

I've suffered from this since my teens and now I'm pregnant it has gone into overload. Seriously, it got really horrendous; I would still be awake at 6am, I timed the movements and they were every 7 seconds. I was totally desperate....
All in one day I started eating bananas (at least 3 per day), had it confirmed that my iron levels were low so started taking iron tablets and another pregnancy supplement to help absorb the iron and miraculously the restless leg pretty much stopped over night (I couldnt tell you which of the things helped the most).
I cant let DH touch any part of my legs/hips/knees or feet or it will completely set it off.
Good luck with it, you really do have my sympathy, it really can be awful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now