Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

How do I keep the cat off the baby?

(55 Posts)
HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Fri 27-Dec-13 11:47:52

We have a cat that we absolutely dote upon and I'm pregnant with our first child. We plan to put the baby in our room when it's first born but I'm a little concerned about keeping the cat from sleeping on the baby. The cat has always slept on our bed and I'd like to allow it to continue to do so.

Any ideas on how best to go about doing this? Has anyone found a crib with bars on the top (no cracks about "caging the baby" please!) or similar? What did you do? Or did you all evict the cats?

fluffyraggies England Sat 28-Dec-13 17:13:07

How about using a clean bed sheet to throw over the moses basket and or cot when baby is NOT in it to act as a 'net'. Cheaper than a cat net, bigger too.

IME a cat wont leap into or onto something which is an unpredictable or unfamiliar shape. So i would say let the moses basket/cot stay a mystery to the cats until baby comes (cover it or put it in a closed room) - then in the cats mind it will always be associated with a wriggly baby or an odd/uncertain shape.

As another poster said, baby should have all it's sleeps and naps in the same room as you for the first few months. I guess all the posters saying their cats sleep on the bed, and worrying about the moses basket, mean at night? ... Our cats sleep on our bed during the day allot, but we shut the bedroom door at night and they have their own beds on the landing. This solves the night time worry surely?

fluffyraggies England Sat 28-Dec-13 17:15:48

when i say 'they have their own beds on the landing' - i mean cat beds grin

(in case any of you pictured us with human's single beds just for the cats at the top of the stairs grin)

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Dec-13 17:51:22

2 cats here. Cats don't go in the bedroom of DCs. We shut them out of ours when baby in our room. I'm not at all convinced that a net would stop a cat. Sorry.

volvocowgirl Sat 28-Dec-13 18:40:01

hubbahubster - further tests on the baby in that Telegraph article later revealed the baby had died from sudden infant death syndrome and the cat had got in afterwards.

Dolallytats England Sat 28-Dec-13 19:28:12

When DS, now 5 was born we used to put things in his cot/pram to stop the cats (we had 4 at the time) from sitting in them. The cats did not seem to be interested in him at all.

Then we discovered that the eldest cat was actually sleeping at the bottom of his cot at night-and was totally uninterested in him. She never bothered him.

The 2 cats we still have now both tend to sleep at the bommom of his bed now, but again never actually bother him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now