Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glass of wine on Chrismas day.

(338 Posts)
LucyB1 Mon 16-Dec-13 15:13:50

Hi, I'm going to be 12+5 on Christmas day and i am absolutely GAGGING for a glass of red. Is that really bad cause I'm not quite out of the first trimester??

HotCrossPun Fri 27-Dec-13 22:29:47

Nope. Didn't have the balls to. We were at MIL for Xmas dinner, and she'd went to the trouble of buying me non-alcoholic wine. I felt like too much of a wimp to say that I'd prefer a small glass of the real stuff. grin

Went to my mums for dinner on boxing day though. And she poured me a lovely glass of bucks fizz without me even having to ask. wink

aclxxx Thu 26-Dec-13 22:19:42

Had 2 glasses of pressecco over 4 hours. 17 weeks now.

Santabroughtmethis Thu 26-Dec-13 22:11:02

hmm

Strokethefurrywall Thu 26-Dec-13 20:19:33

Yep, I had my Veuve in the morning and beers on the beach in the afternoon - tasted fantastic.

Glass of wine this afternoon too - happily I'm intelligent enough to listen to the advice of my OBGYN and not the judgement of pissy strangers on the internet.

Hope all had a lovely day whether they had a drink or not!

AHardDaysWrite Thu 26-Dec-13 20:09:36

santa my SIL is an obstetric consultant and she told me to have a glass of wine on my birthday when I was pregnant.

weebigmamma Thu 26-Dec-13 18:10:16

I'm 24 weeks and I've just had 2 glasses of white wine as I'm totally fed up with everything and everyone. It was lovely and I'm not going to feel bad about it. x

hackneybird Thu 26-Dec-13 17:04:30

I had a glass of red yesterday, it lasted me about 2 hrs and I enjoyed it. I had a Buck's Fizz on Sunday too. During the remaining festive period I shall probably have another small drink or two.

I'm 16+3. During the rest of the pregnancy i'll probably have one small drink a week. It's what I did my with my DS and I feel comfortable with that. All of my friends also followed same policy and everyone's children are bright as buttons.

Santabroughtmethis Thu 26-Dec-13 14:20:44

McFox are they obstetric consultants?

I've nc for another thread but I've commented on here with my feelings, as a mum and midwife and being newly pregnant myself now, yesterday I didn't bother at all.

Hope everyone had a lovely day.

Notfastmainlyfurious Thu 26-Dec-13 08:01:56

I had a quarter of a glass if champagne that last me almost an hour. My dad said a glass won't hurt get it down you! 14+3 yesterday. First alcohol of the pregnancy and it was good.

ClearlyMoo Thu 26-Dec-13 07:48:30

I had a thimble full of sherry and a splash of red in a glass with lunch, and it was lovely. No one made a fuss or commented it was just really nice, and it was such small amounts I'm not going to worry or feel guilty. Happy Christmas!

MummyPig24 Thu 26-Dec-13 07:29:37

I'm 28 weeks and had planned to have a glass of wine but I didn't actually get round to it! I probably will have a glass over the festive period but I'm not a big drinker anyway.

McFox Thu 26-Dec-13 00:37:24

Don't berate yourself pussycat! The evidence doesn't support abstinence, and I had a wee glass of prosecco myself today at 17 weeks. My pregnant doctor friends that I work with aren't abstaining totally either, and they are senior consultants - they know best! smile

Hi all, just wondered who succumbed to a glass of anything today? I have been reading this thread with interest. Im 17 wks. For the first time (and only time) in this pregnancy i had a few glasses of fizz with my christmas dinner.... I enjoyed it! But wont be repeating this again in my pregnancy. I am now berating myself horribly. Just wondered what everyone else had decided to do xxx

HoHoHopelessAtNamingBabies Mon 23-Dec-13 19:54:23

Wow - 'published'!? No alcohol consumed, honest!

HoHoHopelessAtNamingBabies Mon 23-Dec-13 19:53:31
Chunderella Mon 23-Dec-13 18:10:29

Wow stick if you think dropping a c bomb is worse than slagging off other people's parenting based solely on lavish ignorance, you've even less sense than I thought. Remember that maternal intelligence has actually been proven to impact on children's prospects, unlike 1-2 units of alcohol per week in pregnancy. We both know you'll be reading this despite your protestations otherwise, so give it some thought. And read things before gobbing off.

Enjoy your pate olives. And don't beat yourself up if you succumb to a Christmas drinky poos too, its as safe as houses.

Meerka Sun 22-Dec-13 21:18:33

<chuckling> well, indeed, some of the people on this thread are the kinds of people who look at the evidence, hopefully on both sides, before coming down with blanket statements.

jellyandcake Sun 22-Dec-13 21:17:32

I think that extrapolating that all people who approve of the odd drink during pregnancy also swear because one person who holds that view swears really tells us all we need to know about this person's approach to statistical analysis...as also evidenced by their failure to grasp the evidence that exists regarding drinking and pregnancy.

Equally, eschewing all alcohol but eating pate (even in tiny quantities) demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the risks involved in either.

Mitchell2 Sun 22-Dec-13 19:41:02

stick way to go, lumping off of us who have decided to drink during pregnant (at what ever level we feel comfortable at) as those sort of people. I'm afraid if you actually read most of this thred a good proportion of us didn't judge other, use profanities or pick fights.

Not excusing those who you may feel have crossed the line, but IMHO your reaction is quite intolerant and not reflecting just your opionion.

Each to their own whatever they chose.

Mitchell2 Sun 22-Dec-13 19:39:33

stick way to go, lumping off of us who have decided to drink during pregnant (at what ever level we feel comfortable at) as those sort of people. I'm afraid if you actually read most of this thred a good proportion of us didn't judge other, use profanities or pick fights.

Not excusing those who you may feel have crossed the line, but IMHO your reaction is quite intolerant and not eflext

Each to their own what ever they chose

AHardDaysWrite Sun 22-Dec-13 19:22:37

"The sort of people who think drinking when pregnant is acceptable"... Wow. Judgemental, much?

loveolives Sun 22-Dec-13 18:33:57

Exactly what I was thinking Stick, he/she sounds very bitter and pissy!

And again Chunderella, if that's what you think then cooooooooool beanio! Have a lovely Xmas fsmile

StickChildrenTwo Sun 22-Dec-13 13:02:40

Haha so sad when people can't voice their opinions without using vile language. Yet you question my intelligence?! What an utter delight you sound. I won't be bothering to check up on this particular thread again. It is abundantly clear the sort of people who think drinking while pregnant is acceptable (ie the kind who use profanities when they are so much as challenged by another) . God bless. Have a lovely Christmas Chundy x grin

Chunderella Sun 22-Dec-13 10:10:50

Stick I'm afraid you can't pull off either being patronising or making comments about other people's personalities. Not when you've already played the cunt and illustrated that you don't understand the current research. Like it or not, all the evidence is that there is no risk at all to 1-2 units weekly. The doctors you mention are either talking about more alcohol than that, or are deliberately blurring the lines to reinforce their preconceived prejudices. If you think you know better than the research and decide not to consume any yourself simply because you think there might be an undiscovered risk, that's your business. But as soon as you start moralising at other women, you get called out. Particularly when you say you feel sorry for the children of others. You really need your house in order before pulling that shit, and yours manifestly isn't. The fact that OP asked for opinions doesn't mean you get to say something stupid and obnoxious with no consequences. Don't like it? Watch your mouth then.

Olives it isn't what I think, it's what I know.

ninjasquirrel Sun 22-Dec-13 09:19:28

Plateofcrumbs, I think that's a very elegant explanation. We're generally not very good (as a species!) at understanding risk, and it doesn't help when it gets mixed up with moral outrage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now