Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could I have developed gestational diabetes after 26 weeks?

(18 Posts)
eljay76 Sun 15-Dec-13 22:54:24

Hi,

My consultant is sending me for a GTT on Tuesday when I'll be exactly 36 weeks. This is because a recent ultrasound showed the baby to be quite chubby. At 26 weeks my sugar level was 6.6 about 1.5 hours after breakfast. The midwife thought this was fine. The consultant didn't have this value in his records when I first saw him last week and I couldn't remember it off the top of my head. Could I have developed diabetes after the initial test? Not looking forward to the GTT at all. Should I give my consultant the original results or won't it make any difference?

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Dec-13 22:57:01

6.6 is fine

ovenbun Mon 16-Dec-13 07:37:43

Gestational diabetes could easily develop after 26 weeks unfortunately you will need the GTT test, hopefully it will just rule it out and put your mind at rest smile xx

Mumtonone Mon 16-Dec-13 10:10:26

Hey! Heading for a GTT on Tuesday too, mine due to excess amniotic fluid (measuring 22.9). A previous blood tests didn't indicate GD, but they want to rule it out as a possible cause of the fluid.

I'm overindulging in everything sweet in fear I'll be told to drastically cut down!?!

AnythingNotEverything Mon 16-Dec-13 10:16:04

Every woman naturally becomes more diabetic as their pregnancy goes on. This isn't necessarily something to worry about, but a fact of nature.

You can develop GD at any time during pregnancy and it's worth knowing as you and baby may need a little extra care after birth - nothing scary, just things like blood sugars.

I had a GTT at 31 weeks and honestly, it was fine. I had to drink a bottle of solution, like really cheap flat coke, then I say and read for two hours, with blood taken at the start (pre drink) and at the end. It's fine, honestly.

eljay76 Mon 16-Dec-13 10:21:22

Thanks for the reassurance. I've been reading too many negative internet posts (my worst enemies!) about vomiting and fainting and have been getting myself all wound up about it. I burst into tears when the consultant said I should have it done. I have a history of needle phobia and the last time I had blood taken at this particular place I did a triple faint that set me back - that was without fasting and glucose drinks!

eljay76 Mon 16-Dec-13 10:22:31

Good luck tomorrow mumtonone. How far along are you?

caketinrosie Mon 16-Dec-13 10:32:04

Eljay I've had two gtt tests one for each dc. My first showed positive for gestational diabetes, which did make me wobble a bit, but actually it was totally fine, I just had to watch my diet, and check my bloods a couple of times a day by sticking a tiny pin into my finger. Doesn't hurt it's just annoying. They gave me a little kit and I had to keep my numbers below a certain level. That was it really. Had dd and it all went away again. Did have big baby's though! fgrin

eljay76 Mon 16-Dec-13 10:43:25

Glad to hear it went away again. I'm almost 36 weeks now. If I do have GD then they're likely to take action in week 38: either induction or an elected c-section. I'm not at all sure about being induced because I had a c-section last time. Baby will be bigger than average.

caketinrosie Mon 16-Dec-13 11:50:57

I had ten pound turkeys! Ecs first time after a unsuccessful induction then had an elected cs next time. All worked out well in the end. Had to go straight into 0-3 month clothes though and I had lovely newborn outfits silly mummy good luck with your big day! fgrin

Mumtonone Mon 16-Dec-13 15:37:30

I'm 27+3. Not overly keen on needles either, but have had to inject Clexane every day since getting pregnant (from a previous DVT) - so I'm overcoming that fear fairly swiftly! :-)

Will not be impressed if I have to have anymore injections though. I'm hoping if test does back positive that its just dietary changes needed.

Less worried if it is GD, more worried if its not that the surplus fluid may be an early indication of foetal abnormalities. Google is bad for worrying pregnant women - must try to avoid (who am I kidding!?!)

eljay76 Mon 16-Dec-13 20:44:15

Google is my worst enemy. Well, actually, I'm probably my own worst enemy for being tempted to look everything up. And I mean EVERYTHING!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 17-Dec-13 04:20:48

I had excess fluid. Try not to worry. It CAN be an indicator of other things, but more often than not it's just excess fluid. The biggest risk is preterm labour so get your hospital bag packed just in case.

I had my waters broken in delivery suite and there really was a lot of them. Do get a waterproof mat for the bed!

eljay76 Tue 17-Dec-13 05:52:12

Waterproof mat in place! And the hospital bag is almost ready. I don't think there was too much fluid on the scan and my bump isn't particularly huge. We'll see. Got to be at the hospital for 8.30. I was awake for a few hours from 12.30 because I was already hungry. It's going to be a long morning!

eljay76 Tue 17-Dec-13 11:40:55

I survived the test without fainting or throwing up, wow! I didn't find the glucose drink so bad either. How did yours go mumtonone?

Mumtonone Tue 17-Dec-13 13:18:25

Hey. Yeah test reminded me of one of those orange ices you'd get as a kid, just defrosted. Managed it not too bad, felt a bit sick at times but seemed to pass.

Had to stay in the hospital for the duration of the test, which I found annoying as only live 5-10 mins away. Was very bored (despite bringing reading material) and uncomfortable as they just left me out in the waiting room with plastic chairs.

Ran a few errands on the way home, which was a mistake. By the time I got into the house I was shaking, sweating and thought I was going to pass out. Managed to just now sit down and have food, and feeling a bit better.

Heading to bed for a lie down - completely shattered! :-)

Mumtonone Tue 17-Dec-13 13:27:46

Hey Anything - trying not to worry, probabilities of anything serious seem low, so fingers crossed!

Have heard there is increased risk of going early, which could be a bit of a pain work wise - but if baby comes, baby comes!

I warned hubby about water breaking and the potential amount of fluid release. His face was priceless!?!

eljay76 Sat 28-Dec-13 18:53:32

Mumtonone, did you get a good result? I was just under the limit so no further action needed. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now