Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

How are you all managing pregnancy & Christmas?

(21 Posts)
terilou87 Tue 10-Dec-13 19:58:58

I'm 35+4 with dc5 and today iv FINALLY finished my xmas shopping!! Yippeegrin, I never thought I would finish it, if it wasn't for school time I don't think it would be finished, iv done all the xmas shopping, dp decorated the living room/ kitchen then I did the xmas decorations and tree, dp has been an absolute darling and kept ontop of the housework, I don't think I could of done it without him, I am truely in awe of single mums that do it on their own.

InTheBEEwitchedWinter Tue 10-Dec-13 17:28:36

I ordered most of my things from M&S this year, and now that we have proper internet back I've done most of my shopping online. House still is full of moving boxes, my aim though is to just clear living room & kitchen and pile everything into the two spare bedrooms.

3peasinapod Tue 10-Dec-13 14:52:37

I'm due DC4 between the 22nd and the 31st!!! Small last few bits to pick up and I'm done! Feel so not prepared but it will all be fine. As long as I'm not in for Xmas day I don't really mind. It would be nice to have it all over me before Xmas but I think this baby is to snugly in there.grin
Plus I didn't go mad with the shopping this yr, vouchers or money its to hard walking / waddling from shop to shop. Plus people will understand.

YomAsalYomBasal Tue 10-Dec-13 14:13:02

I will be 40 weeks with twins on Xmas day blush I have seriously minimalised xmas and done everything possible online. Dinner will be as much Aunt Bessie's pre prepared stuff as I can handle grin

20 weeks and struggling - but in fairness I'm playing the man-eating plant Audrey 2 in Little Shop Of Horrors university production next week, and we're having 10 -12 hour rehearsals every day which is just plain knackering. Christmas shopping has taken a backseat, can't remember what we've bought people and what we still need to get, tree hasn't even gone up yet as I have no energy at all, got the scan on Thursday and that's taking over my entire brain right now!

Hannahwillo88 Mon 09-Dec-13 22:00:47

Rushed and busy hmm scrubbed all the house ready and put deccies up but still got loads to buy present wise and a few baby bits also got to buy things for my hospital bag! I am gettin induced next week on the 19th 3 wks early so got lots of running round to do in between midwife appt and consultant appt, all this while looking after a 7 year old and 2 year old!!! Phew am tired just typing it!

Firsttimemumtobe12 Mon 09-Dec-13 20:36:53

We've only bought for the children in our family and parents and each other this year, works out so expensive other wise and defo need to watch the pennies with this little one arriving smile

BakeOff Mon 09-Dec-13 20:29:47

Is there anyone (friend? neighbour?) who you could ask to help you with a few things? Getting a tree out of the loft (and hopefully helping to assemble it etc) for a heavily pregnant woman is just the kind of thing that most people would be happy to help with, especially at this time of year.

The next time someone says "let me know if there's anything I can do.." say "actually, there is something..." And just ask. At this time of year in particular, people are much more willing to help their friends and neighbours. If someone I knew was going to have to have Christmas without a tree just because they couldn't get it out of the loft I'd be sending DH round straightaway (would do it myself but am also 33wks pg!!)

PrammyMammy Mon 09-Dec-13 19:33:50

It's so busy isn't it. We had kids christmas party yesterday, nativity show today, carol concert & dancing Christmas party tomorrow, carol concert Wednesday, school Christmas party Thursday!
I'm 12 days till my due date. I have my niece and dads birthday during that time. sad
Sleep is getting me through. Every day I sleep from 12pm-3pm - and I could easily sleep way longer.
I done all my shopping in October & November. My lovely gran wrapped it all for me and it's in her house waiting.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 09-Dec-13 19:27:30

Im not able to get the tree out of the loft as im physically unable to lift myself into the loft, so im not going to bother this year. I've uninvited my db & friends etc as its too much.

I will be working right up to Christmas. So whatever gets done is done.

Will be a crap Christmas in our house!

BakeOff Mon 09-Dec-13 19:22:29

I saw your other thread about your DP not helping out.

If you're struggling Shelly, just be ruthless about what absolutely has to be done and forget the rest. It doesn't matter if you don't decorate the house as much as you usually do (if at all, or get the kids to do what they can?) or if you buy ready-made everything instead of slaving in the kitchen. It's easy to feel like every Christmas has to be perfect but you're heavily pregnant with far too much on your plate already so give yourself a break.

RedRobin1 Mon 09-Dec-13 18:29:09

Currently 36 weeks here and all set for Christmas smile

I made lists of things I would do each week from 30 weeks to 37 weeks and ticked everything off each week.

Tree up
Amazon orders done
Presents wrapped
Baby stuff ready (as ready as can be!)

And now all there's left is to put my feet up and enjoy weeks 37-40 and also go on mat leave next week! So all in all very organised and smug wink

Will be a totally different story when little one gets here and all the chaos descends!

Shellywelly1973 Mon 09-Dec-13 17:53:21

Lol@*wispa*... no one to delegate to & no dp now!

wispaxmas Mon 09-Dec-13 17:05:53

We are visiting my mom in Canada for Christmas, so my plan is to lie on her couch and eat all her food grin. Easier for me, as this is pg #1, so no kids already running around. Also, I'm only in 2nd tri, so not massive and waddling, so can manage the shopping alright.

Good luck, keep your feet up, and delegate as much as possible to your husband wink

LottyLikesWindows Mon 09-Dec-13 15:54:10

Military style organisation as I'm 36 weeks now and starting to accept that baby could come any day. Tree is up, gifts bought and wrapped, having dinner with family so I don't have to do any Christmas Day prep. Have ordered as much on line as possible and have started gathering presents in October. Have never been this organised for Christmas in my entire life.

Must remember this for next year too!
Good lucky Shelly.

BakeOff Mon 09-Dec-13 15:12:53

I'll be about the same as you by Christmas but just 1 DC (2.5).

I'm buying everything online (Amazon very kindly gave me a 30 day trial to Prime so getting free next day delivery), either delivered or click and collect locally, Christmas food delivery is booked and it'll be "ready to roast" everything this year. All I'll need to do is make a list of timings for DH and he can do the shoving in the oven bit.

We've already got the tree up but it's still in the process of being decorated as neither of us could face our usual decorate-the-whole-house-in-a-weekend a week before Christmas so we're spreading it out.

I started my Christmas shopping early (not a very useful tip now I'm afraid!) so that's all done but I'll do the wrapping soon to get that out of the way.

I'm not going anywhere near a shopping centre until after the baby's born, I've decided. I just couldn't face it.

Basically I'm just doing as little as possible, taking full advantage of modern conveniences (online shopping etc) and accepting any offers of help that come my way!

caitlinsurrey Mon 09-Dec-13 15:02:07

Im sure everyone won't expect you to do as much this year. Shop online and don't push yourself too much! x

FobblyWoof Mon 09-Dec-13 14:59:28

Cutting back! Which is fairly easy given that dd is coming up to two so she doesn't know any different. We're only doing presents for the kids in our family- so six- dd and one small gift to each other.

I'm due New Year's Eve but I'm having a Caesarian on the 27th so I just can't be doing with the fad of everything!

Sleepthief Mon 09-Dec-13 14:58:34

Oh, two more very important words I couldn't live without: my cleaner. I love her smile

Sleepthief Mon 09-Dec-13 14:56:56

One word: online! Currently 35 weeks with DC4 and really feeling it this time around. Everything is being ordered in (including Christmas dinner) and I'm not going to leave the house again once school breaks up. Except to get to hospital, of course grin

Shellywelly1973 Mon 09-Dec-13 14:50:56

As the title says!

Im very busy. Dc, 3 schools, Christmas shows, shopping, decorations, housework. I will be 35+1 weeks on Christmas Day.

Any tips appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now