Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(980 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 02-Dec-13 14:35:22

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

LucindaE Sat 01-Feb-14 18:21:49

Sally started new thread, link below! Do post this there, everybody'll be delighted.
xx

Sally8655 Sat 01-Feb-14 18:19:02

Evening ladies

Sorry I've not had a chance to post, I've been in a constant cycle of feeds and nappy changes!

I've tried to upload a pic but for some reason it won't let me. Ill keep trying.

Jayden is doing really well, sleeping all day and up at night which is a pain but breast feeding is getting a bit easier. Still really sore but I can at least get a feed without screaming and crying with pain!
They really don't tell you how hard it is when selling the benefits .
I'm so glad I've persevered though.

Nausea crept back a bit yesterday, think i was a bit adventurous with my food choices. Lesson learnt!

Hope all are ok and another baby appears soon, think its Jen due next!!

Xxxx

LucindaE Sat 01-Feb-14 10:33:06

Dizzy come and join us on the new thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1984102-Hyperemesis-Support?
Midwife can check heartbeat for you for reassurance?
xx

Meerka Fri 31-Jan-14 18:41:24

wrong thread arg

Meerka Fri 31-Jan-14 18:40:42

waddles in glumly holding the sickbucket very start of the 3rd trim and it's getting nastier again .... oh god, can't we fast forward time?

hi newlywed

glad you got more meds dizzy and yes depression is very normal. take a healthy woman and turn her into a miserable puking shadow of herself unable to go out and dealing with shitty medicos ... depression bloody predictable really. Do really hope the scan is ok. don't worry about the movement though - I've forgotten is it your first? took me til week 22 with first, around week 19 with this baby

Hi guys

I did end up getting some new medicine from my own GP because my DH came with me and pushed for it. I am feeling a bit better (with that- I've got a bad ear that's dragging me down unfortunately) and I'm just starting to feel very depressed.

I wonder if this is normal? I think it's largely because I'm spending so much time alone (12 hrs a day minimum) while DH is at work and I'm getting very anxious that I've had to take lots of medicines and haven't felt the baby move (am 17+3) and I've been called in for an extra scan in 2 weeks after my last hospital admission (even though in hospital I was told everything looked normal).

Sorry to whinge but it's all getting on top of me. I'm feeling very down and useless.

LucindaE Fri 31-Jan-14 14:06:27

Everyone
New Link as we're running out of space
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1984102-Hyperemesis-Support
I hope to see you over there...
xx

ChaffinchOfDoom Fri 31-Jan-14 12:41:02

living as a fellow clumsy one, I am relieved my babasling has a massive clip and a backup smaller clip, I don't need to tie anything thankgod
am already worrying about falling over whilst wearing it though

livingzuid Fri 31-Jan-14 12:15:14

slice that's super fashionable of you they sound lovely. I'm in DH's old tracksuit bottoms blush who are all these glamorous pregnant women and how do they do it!

SliceOfLime Fri 31-Jan-14 12:12:43

<high fives rest of puke crew> thanks for that chaffinch, makes hg seem cool grin

That's interesting that your dh already told ds iworry I was really worried about telling her too soon but at this rate when I do tell her she'll just roll her eyes and say 'yeah mum, old news' (!) She hasn't seen me be sick yet so hasn't been too obvious although bump now seems huge!

Got some maternity pjs from JoJo Maman Bebe yesterday they are so comfy I may never wear anything else...

livingzuid Fri 31-Jan-14 12:01:58

I'm due 6 June almost identical to punk smile except babies in my family all have a habit of arriving late so who knows!

worry did you try yoghurt? Natural or Greek? That was also suggested to me and it works quite well.

newly hi and sorry you are here sad am sure the scan will bring good news.

chaffinch hehe that must be it!

Thanks all for the sling advice. No idea if they have libraries here but will research. I really like the idea but am so clumsy am convinced too that I will tie it wrong and she'll fall out!

Lucinda thanks for the support as ever smile still on the sofa today. I've reached that point where my stomach is being pushed up so no matter what I eat or drink everything feels horrid because there is no room! So I don't eat and feel crap or I do eat and feel crap. Sigh.

Psychiatrist at 3 when I am going to ask for my medication to be reduced again. Let the battle commence. They are so reluctant but I am fed up of feeling so ill.

ChaffinchOfDoom Fri 31-Jan-14 11:48:11

hey crew...interesting point. Was reading my 7yo ''deadly diseases'' horrible science book last night
2 major symptoms of rabies = excess saliva and fear of water

anyone been bitten by a crazy squirrel grin

LucindaE Fri 31-Jan-14 10:21:53

Newlywed Welcome to the Thread Nobody Wants to Need - sorry you are suffering so badly -for almost everybody the first tri is the worst - for many peaking round nine to ten weeks -don't despair, things will get better. Hugs. Sorry you have had two hospital stays already. Don't hesitate to demand stronger meds if cyclazine doesn't get the puking down to a minimum - there's all sorts of meds. When you had to go back so quickly,what had they got you on?
Chaffinch Lol - 1 April!
I Worry I am so glad this thread has helped ward of depression!
Hugs to all. I'll start a new thread and give link later today, running out space.
OK, so I now have due dates:

*Due Dates
Jen 15 February (nearly a Valentine's Day present)
Chaffinch 25 March
Meerka 30 April
PUnkStar 8 June
SliceofLime 2 August
IWorry 8 August
What 14 August.*

xx

Iworrymyselftosleep Fri 31-Jan-14 03:14:58

Back atcha finch - loving puke crew grin

So DP bought dinner tonight - the tesco posh meal for a tenner (proper cooking still banned. Heating ready meals just about ok). He chose the trifle option fir desert. With cream. And I valiantly tried, I did, for I am Queen of Deserts, me. But it was returned to sender, curdled. My involuntary dairy ban continues. Honestly, what I wouldn't do for a coffee!

Slice my DS is 3.5 and DP told him a few weeks ago. I was a bit shock confused hmm as imvho it was far too early - about ten weeks I think. But, DS has been really unsettled by me being so ill and in hosp n stuff - DP actually did the big reveal without me as he said DS was asking why I was being sick again. He's taken to the idea quite well although we may need to review a few points - for example he insists that mummy hasn't a baby in her tummy but he does!?

lucinda - I'm due 8/8 - I think I'm in the middle of a wee cluster!

jen I saw the signs for the extra scan research in the waiting room! This is my second so no chance of an extra scan (tho I seem to have had lots so far blush )

newly welcome to the thread! I can see you've had lots of advice - so my suggestion would be to do as much reading about hg as possible, so you know what options are available - fwiw cyclizine was too weak to control my sickness, but they always start by prescribing it. I do hope you feel a little better soon flowers

Finally back to lucinda - I was singing the praises of this thread earlier today elsewhere in MN. I for one certainly appreciate it - I've had even worse hg this time around than last time but so far haven't succumbed to the out of despair, as I had done previously. This is in part directly linked to this thread. It's so nice not to have people offering advice like "have you tried ginger biscuits?" but to get useful suggestions. So thank you flowers

Newlywed2013 Thu 30-Jan-14 23:50:49

I'm on cyclizine (sp) at the mo so hopefully that will start to work! Everything is still very much trial and error with me what will and won't go down! When I was at drs yesterday they noted I had lost 4kg in 3wks and I'm down to 44kg now!
The scan is to see it it's twins or a molar pregnancy or if it is a placenta issue apparently! I did have to ask for it as with an overnight stay on hosp and a day just in having fluids and this constantly being mentioned I demanded a scan so I have an idea! My edd based on lmp is 6th sept which is like a lifetime away! :-(

Totesamazeballs Thu 30-Jan-14 20:44:42

Congratulations Sally! Breast feeding is really tough! Oh the bliss of not feeling sick anymore.

Hope everyone else is coping ok.

I am a sling fan but. DS wasn't. I am hoping to use it with this one so I don't have to get a double buggy until she is 6 months and can sit up.

ChaffinchOfDoom Thu 30-Jan-14 20:29:50

oh meant to say

Hi Newly , I also deeply miss brekkie cereal but am tooo scared of milk to risk it grin

my due date is April 1st but will be having section approx. 25 March

ChaffinchOfDoom Thu 30-Jan-14 20:26:43

yo puke crew.

long time no post, had a mental week.
thanks Meerka for pram info. Am swinging back to having a lie-flat buggy rather than travel system - either a cosatto supra or a maclaren as the carry cot pram bit only is useable for about 6 months. ; and think I can blag my sister's baby carseat...
I bought a babasling from a facebook baby selling group near me, a fiver, and it's brand new. Never had a wrap sling before, practised with a teddy bear today, will build up confidence round the house but think it could prove useful on the school run to keep baby quiet, with further practice apparently you can breast feed using it to support baby, but would need to be perfectly positioned...

sorry to hear about those feeling rotten, I had a morning vom the other day and I'm 31weeks now. My MW is gently sympathetic but I am counting down the damn days.
just ordered what should be my last repeat of ondansatron <muted cheer> just taking one a day in the mornings, the nausea in mornings up to lunch time is hideous for me.

SliceOfLime Thu 30-Jan-14 20:13:50

oohh I like seeing the due date list, reminds me why we are doing this! Not long to go now jen

Lucinda I appreciate the thought, even if the message got lost!

iworry milk isn't the best for me either, I find I can eat oatibix if I warm the milk up first (probably sounds gross to anyone else) but the aftertaste from milk is bleurgh. I can't have tea either and I normally have about 6 cups a day - I miss the cuppa comfort factor so much, but I've found I can drink hot water pretty easily so I still have the feeling of a hot drink in a mug to hold, which helps a bit psychologically.

Hi newlywed sorry you are so unwell, but you're among friends here! I hope you can get some meds and start to feel better soon. Hope you have sympathetic friends and family and no one is offering ginger biscuits smile

Re late scans, my hospital now does an extra routine one at 32-34 weeks which they didn't do 3 years ago when I was pg with little monkey - apparently because so many babies stop growing (!) slightly worrying but nice to have the extra scan.

Strange things happened with dd yesterday and today... she's 2.5, I haven't told her about being pg yet, BUT today she played putting her toy up her jumper and said "I've got a baby in my tummy" and yesterday she told my mum that if mummy had a baby, she (DD) would bring it on the train to visit granny and show it all her toys! I've been doing a bit of subliminal "oh look the lady in the story has a baby in her tummy, isn't that nice, then the little girl will be a big sister, it's really fun to be a big sister" etc so evidently it's working! We weren't planning to tell her for another few weeks but now I'm wondering whether we should tell her soon before she figures it out for herself?! Those of you who already have kids, how/ when did you tell them about the new baby?

Tallyra Thu 30-Jan-14 20:08:06

Hi newly, welcome!
Thanks Lucinda, I was walking there from work when it hit and I barely made it!

Could you add my date please? Due April 17th.

Meerka Thu 30-Jan-14 15:53:09

Hi newly welcome, and sorry to see you here! <shifts over and brings her a clean little sickbowl>

It sounds like you're having a really grotty time sad If it's real HG I'm afraid the bad news is that it can last some time, though some people start improving around week 12. The better news is that you CAN and SHOULD get meds - they are safe, they really are, and they help almost everyone. If they are giving you a scan, it sounds like they think it might be somethign else though?

Hope you feel a bit better soon flowers

lucinda can I pop little Lucky on the list for 30th April please?

Newlywed2013 Thu 30-Jan-14 15:26:54

Can I join! Am currently 8+5 and at weekend was admitted with HG discharged Sunday and had a good day Sunday and Monday! Tuesday awful and yesterday spent a few more hours in hosp on drips again! Got scan on Monday to find out if there is an underlying reason! And meet midwife next week! Please tell me it gets easier!!!!

LucindaE Thu 30-Jan-14 13:55:05

Due Dates
Jen 15 February (nearly a Valentine's Day present)
PUnkStar 8 June
SliceofLime 2 August
What 14 August.

LucindaE Thu 30-Jan-14 13:51:16

Tallyra that message of symapthy and suggesting sucking an ice cube is for you, really sorry sad posted under wrong name.
xx

LucindaE Thu 30-Jan-14 13:49:44

Jen Hugs. If you managed to hold it in until you got to the loo, then you were very considerate.
Try sucking an ice cube to sooth your poor throat.
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now