Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(980 Posts)
LucindaE Mon 02-Dec-13 14:35:22

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable for sufferers, with information about medications, coping strategies, hospital admissions, useful links, advice for family members, and much more.

I would like to thank MOH and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

LucindaE Tue 17-Dec-13 12:36:35

Livingzuid Hugs,glad you are keeping liquids down. I have heard of women suffering so dreadfully that they had to be in hospital on an IV drip for months but that is very very rare, thank goodness - if you were as ill as you were yesterday it would be hell on earth for sure. A woman who had been that ill posted on here some threads ago, with a message of support. Wavesandsmiles on here a couple of threads ago, was so ill she had a permanent thing in her arm left in for IV and had to go for IV every day, but thank goodness she could leave the hospital.
Meerka Followed your link but didn't understand any of it - I can get by in French and Welsh but that's it!
Chaffinch How are things with you? SliceofLime Punkstar and Others? Howly is very quiet, and some others...Mother hen, having pecked at some toast, begins to flap and cluck again...
xx

Meerka Tue 17-Dec-13 12:47:51

.. and welsh? wow, Lucinda, neat =)

The link - its basically the blood test for downs will be available in the netherlands from april next year, testing it for 2 years. About time, no other women will have to go through septic miscarriage. Livingzuid and I had pm'd over where you can get it atm, which is Belgium, the UK and Germany, where you have to pay quite a few hundreds for it.

Poor wavesandsmiles sad cant imagine she will ever go through that again. I hope her baby was born well and without having had ill effect

SicknSpan Tue 17-Dec-13 13:57:09

Hello everyone. Sorry to hear that some are still feeling rubbish (and that poor Lucinda has had another migraine- awful for you). Bad news too that more folk have had to join the thread- HG just seems to keep coming at us doesn't it.

I'm feeling a bit better recently, still sick but only when I've done too much/got myself wound up about something and feeling stressy. Eg hairdressers yesterday for first time in months and they over-ran, so had mad panic getting friends to pick dc up from school/ dc worried about where I was/ not behaving great at friends house = I threw up about 5 times last night.

I am 16 weeks now and with 2 previous dc it didn't ease until later on. Grateful for that! I am still on the cyclizine and ondansetron, have tried cutting one dose out but it comes back. Hardest thing at the moment is the excess saliva, yuk. Still nauseous though and really identify with whoever said that they are managing not to throw up through sheer force of will. Takes a lot of concentration, which makes me v tired! Not sure anyone in real life understands and they all just think I'm lazy.

Hang on in there, it does get better xxxx

LucindaE Tue 17-Dec-13 13:58:36

Meerka Thanks for translation! Welsh isn't so admirable - I spent six years of my childhood here.
wavesandsmilesbaby is fine - is so cute - and perfectly behaved! She had a dreadful time with marital problems too. Here' a link for some lovely photos to encourage people, I'm sure she won't mind.
www.mumsnet.com/Profile?nick=wavesandsmiles&photos=p
xx

Meerka Tue 17-Dec-13 15:09:02

ok what utterly lovely pics ... and the cast is a just lovely idea! smile The combination of such sickness and home problems is beyond imagining. Glad that all came well for her.

glad to hear you're a little better, sickandspan Yeup, only people who really understand are the ones who've been through it :/

PunkStar Tue 17-Dec-13 16:10:49

Boooo, really sorry to hear some folk struggling...

Livingzuid
That's terrible to have a virus on top of HG, not on at all. Hope you're managing some fluids.

Sally
Hope hosp appointment okay and BP good with no protein in the urine!

Waves and Smiles
Hello...Lovely pics, what a cutie. You survived HG, you can do anything!!!!

Meerka
Did you get offered any form of screening? It so varies doesn't it, my friend in the States had something called a free cell test which actually looks at fetal chromosomes, she could even find out the sex...at eight weeks. A few places do it in UK but will cost a lot! (I didn't understand the Dutch either, wish I could )

Jen
Any relief from SPD or news about antenatal classes?

I think I have improved a little the past two days, no vomiting, stable on 25 pred, but does anyone else just feel lousy even when not vomiting. Just exhaustion, nausea, still major food aversions and frickin' terrible reflux symptoms despite ranitidine twice a day. Steroids do rot your stomach a bit though :-(

Got my combined test result 1 in 50 000. So pleased as have jumped into a more risky age group! Apparently result had been sat at home for past week with a tax rebate! OH hadn't though either were worthy news.Sheesh....

Hoping for respite for you all fellow HGs xx

ChaffinchOfDoom Tue 17-Dec-13 16:26:19

bad HG day today, very nauseous this morning, had to fight it. 1st day off for ages, not having the work adrenaline to focus on means Im more aware of my stomach. Foul mouth taste too.
have drunk a whole bottle tonic water over last 2 days. Imagining in my mind it had gin mixed in...heavenly smile

LucindaE Tue 17-Dec-13 16:57:30

SicknSpanThanks for sympathy - at least I only suffered for thirty six hours - compare that to Hyperemesis, and it's far preferable! Five times is horrible -I hope you are better today - and thanks so much for encouraging post. That must be some willpower of the non puking sort.
Meerka I so agree, and how did WavesandSmiles have the energy to get that cast done?
Punkstar That's wonderful about test results - fancy them waiting so long amongst your other mail!
Livingzuid and Punkstar I had heard some time ago they were investigating none invasive tests, it sounds good. Livingzuid I hope perking up a bit today.
ChaffinchofDoom Sorry about relapse today.
I just remembered eating crumpets when recovering (along with that home made vegetable soup). Does anyone else find them bearable?
xx

Meerka Tue 17-Dec-13 18:49:39

punkstar, very good news on the 1:50,000. Yes, I think all of us feel awful even when we're not voimitting, to the point that the sickness is worse than the vomitting :s it absolutely saps you doesnt it.

<chuckles at Chaffinch and imagining gin in the tonic water> think I'll try that too!

punk, i had the CVS test here which seems to have had a few flaws. I'm afraid the result was a serious uterine infection which had an 80% chance of ending in disaster. I was going into septic miscarriage. Nasty week. Little Lucky and I have been extremely fortunate. As you can imagine, I'm very strongly in favour of the blood test being allowed here. Although at last I can think about it without crying now!

Totesamazeballs Tue 17-Dec-13 19:20:15

Hi all!

Just checking in. I hope today has been a bit better, particularly for Living.

I have just put DS to bed and am going to collapse on the sofa after tidying up. Got. To make so many dishes this week but keep feeling too tired. First task is mince pies.

PunkStar Tue 17-Dec-13 19:29:50

Flipping heck Meerka, that sounds horrendous :-(
Sometimes it's just one crap thing on top of another! So pleased you were treated successfully despite those odds. Lucky is a very apt name. I can understand your enthusiasm for a blood test.

I'm relieved that my symptoms follow suit, I feel terrible (although I am certainly not in the depths of the hellish first trimester) and certainly not functioning like a well person (sigh) The nausea is relentless isn't it?
But I somehow feel better knowing that I'm normal for a HG gal.

I cannot wait for the days of G&T/cider/fizzy wine. Gah, bah bloody humbug

Ooo yes Lucinda I find joy in crumpets too and can manage certain types of homemade soup. My dad has frozen a batch for me ( he's just gone to Australia for five weeks so I'm camping out at his house alone/part time Little Boy. OH visits at weekends. Still can't stand my own house, but I'm sure it's to do with a very strong association of being so ill there, twice)

Hoping those having bad days have better ones tomorrow.

Meerka Tue 17-Dec-13 19:33:29

thanks Punk. I'm 44 and not in particularly good health + prone to HG so if things do go wrong, well, we won't be trying again. So yes, it was Last Chance Salloon. lucinda actually was very kind and touched me to the point of tears in pms, so I'm a Mother Hen fan =)

Does sound like you're at the more severe end of the scale punk but with luck you'll follow the normal pattern and improve.

feekerry Tue 17-Dec-13 19:36:09

hello ladies!!!
just checking in to see how we all are???!
sally can't be long at all now can it??? champagne, totes and Jen all okay too??
7 weeks to go for me. how is everyone else feeling?
i am so ready to have this baby. every night i think i am going into labour- unlikely i know but my body keeps playing tricks.
back on the ondansatron again as sickness returned last week. pretty much the same as my first pg. shit really.
lucinda hope you are well and clucking away!! xxx

PunkStar Tue 17-Dec-13 19:36:11

Toteamaze
I'm impressed! I've just put Little Boy to bed and I've gone straight to bed. Tidying is not going to happen here, place is getting a bit dump like though.
I just find respite in a dark room, I sometimes manage some puzzles on the Nintendo DS but that's about as energetic as it gets. Pure sloth.

PunkStar Tue 17-Dec-13 19:48:24

Meerka
Double pleased it's worked out! Sounds like you are pretty tough to have fought off the infection AND be surviving HG on top of health problems. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here on....
I shouldn't complain, I've just got to face the HG. It's very mentally challenging though isn't it?

Hehe I think we all love Motherhen :-)

Meerka Tue 17-Dec-13 20:49:48

Hello fee smile nice to hear you're close, even if the last 7 weeks feel like a mountain! Hope the sickness lessens, and that the baby cooperates!

ChaffinchOfDoom Tue 17-Dec-13 21:16:55

oh cack doughnut heartburn </3 heartbroken no more :-(

Sally8655 Tue 17-Dec-13 21:54:38

Evening all

Not too much change from the other day so I'm back on Thursday and Friday.

Feeling rather stressed so that won't be helping matters. House is now full of boxes and clutter :-( I hate it. No cooker from tomorrow until the 28th so stuffed if I fancy anything that needs cooked.

Fee I've got 4 weeks till I'm induced. But like you feel like its imminent. In so much pain all the time now from SPD, baby movements and sharp twinges. Most food feels like its lodged in my throat as there is nowhere for it to go now I'm so huge. Sleep is non existent and belly feels like its going to drop off.

Just want this next month over already!

jenpatnim Tue 17-Dec-13 23:12:21

Hey all, just a quick update. Nausea and pain still going strong, still feeling pretty miserable. Plus the kids in work today were mental.... ugh.

I got booked in for antenatal classes starting in Jan and they were supposed to offer them to me at 20wk scan.

Picked up MATB1 form today from GP and organised to get whooping cough vaccination while I am there for my antenatal appt on Monday.

So I have achieved a lot but just feel very run down. Also not eating or drinking quite enough - but enough to keep the ketones at bay.

Sally8655 Tue 17-Dec-13 23:38:20

Jen pleased you got sorted. Think it's disgusting how we have had to book things for ourselves though. Each time I've asked something, I've had replies like "oh you've left that a bit late" it infuriates me. Shouldn't they be keeping us straight as we are first time pregnancies!
Think I'm prepared as much as possible now, though no thanks to midwife.
Hope you get some relief from the nausea soon xx

LucindaE Wed 18-Dec-13 10:33:05

Thanks so much for lovely words Meerka and Punkstar. It is a pleasure to cheer on all you brave women.
Punkstar It does sound as if you have it badly and you shouldn't fret about cleaning, just try and survive from day to day until you can celebrate with some wine. Well, one glass, as you don't want a drunk baby! I am glad soup and crumpets are acceptable. It's good your father thought to freeze some for you.
MeerkaForty four isn't old! I bet you look lovely and young. In the days before birth control, women having babies in their late forties was much more common,though I suppose a lot used 'coitus interruptus'. I agree with others, you must be in good condition to have surmounted that dreadful infection.
Sally No cooker? That's all you need. No microwave, either? And all the pains and SPD and lingering Hyperemesis...This has been a real endurance test, you've been really brave. When it's all over you may well wonder how you ever got through it. Hugs.
Feekerry Lovely to hear from you. So nice o f you to ocme on and ecourage others, too. You are nearly there, and you must be so relieved to be getting to the end.
Totes All the preparations are exhausting enough without being convalenscent from this horror and having to do festive foods etc.
Jen You poor thing! This has been an endurance test for you, too.
I so agree with you and Sally that somebody else should do the admin for these arrangements, or at least, there should be a sheet with boxes to tick and dates or something...
SliceofLimeHowly ButterflySicknSapn How are things?
Who was the unlucky person who said it had come back for the last month? Really sorry if I overlooked that post.
xx

LucindaE Wed 18-Dec-13 10:43:48

Just read my scrawled notes Chaffinch How long along are you now?
Livingzuid How are things?
xx

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 18-Dec-13 12:20:56

Hi Lucinda
25 weeks now. nearly half a year of being pg :-/
was sick this morning, there's no rhyme or reason to it, more common on a chilled out day off than a heavy work day. Just had tuna and salad, and lidl's lovely ciabatta rolls for lunch, need to stock up the stomach as got school choir thing this afternoon.
hope your poor head is better, do you take betablockers? or migralieve is good

CrazyThursday Wed 18-Dec-13 16:44:34

Hello all, hope you're ok.

I recovered from my tummy bug, felt better then came down with a stinker of a cold Sunday night. Yesterday was a low point and I missed my work Christmas get-together as couldn't face the commute/turkey with streamy nose and eyes. Not so snotty today thankfully. The plus side is I can't smell too much so I think that's helping with the nausea.

Am 9 weeks today and saw midwife for the first time so it's all becoming a bit more real.

DH is cooking in the evenings (thank god) but I'm really struggling with what I fancy at dinner times. What are you all having?? I feel gross when I don't eat we'll but don't fancy anything much so it's really tricky. Gone right off salad, veg, chicken and most slimy foods. Jacket potatoes go down ok but I'm really so over it come dinner and am conscious that dd and DH need to eat well regardless of me... I've got a pizza for tonight.

Oh I got some ketostick things. Was really worried I was going to be v dehydrated but all seems ok.

Anyway, stay strong ladies. Eyes on the prize and all that jazz.

LucindaE Wed 18-Dec-13 17:09:39

CrazyThursday I was wondering how you were dong - sorry about nasty bugs -that cold seems a lot more than a cold, some people have the sore throat for a month, that can't be a normal cold.A shame you missed the festivity, but it doesn't sound as if you'd have enjoyed it. Potato based things often seem the best for staying down - or unhealthy things, crisps, as I said below, crumpets, washed down with that full sugar coke. Mother hen is glad you've not got high ketones...
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now