Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Lochia after elcs

(16 Posts)
HomeHypno Sun 01-Dec-13 08:39:37

The ount of bleeding depends on how well the womb ontracts and stays contracted, not just the type of delivery. If your body is in a bit of a shock afterwards you can end up bleeding quite a bit after any type of delivery. Statistically ceasarean mums always bleed moee but some of the bleeding you will never see because it's during the op and immediately after when the midwives are changing your pads.

Preparation wise the advise is the same: big granny panties and huge maternity pads for the first few days and then see how it goes.....

plentyofsoap Sun 01-Dec-13 01:14:47

I had light bleeding for around 5-6 weeks after both ops. It was worse when I over did it, which I di both times.

Pinholes Sat 30-Nov-13 23:15:26

With my VB I bled heavily for the first four or five then tapered off to pink for the rest of it, then it totally stopped by ten days post-delivery.

With my CS I bled constantly for six weeks. Every time I thought it had stopped, it started again. And it was really heavy for the first 7-10 days (two pads at once and an absorbent mat/pad thingie on the bed at night). I had blood thinning injections for the first week which I'm sure made it worse, as mentioned above - much of the post-birth bleeding is from the placenta site which takes time to heal (and I think blood thinning Injections are now standard at most hospitals for all CS patients?). The rest of the six weeks was like mid-period bleeding so medium flow (ick) with occasional gushes and floods. It stopped for a week at 6wks post-delivery ... then a week and a half later I got my first post-birth period hmm

Also a couple of days after the CS I lost my entire mucous plug all at once, wasn't prepared for that, I thought they'd removed it while they were in there. Most of what they suction out during the op though is amniotic fluid and bleeding from the CS incision.

LittleTownOfBOOTHSlehem Sat 30-Nov-13 22:02:55

Yes they they do clean you out well after a c/s because they can but there is a wound to bleed from and a placental site in the uterus so your lochia can be heavier. I bled for 6 weeks with first.
With second I bled internally and lost at least 2 litres! But still had a normal to heavy lochia for several weeks once I left hospital.

CrispyFB Sat 30-Nov-13 21:56:18

I bled for 6 weeks after all of my deliveries, regardless of method! After 4 weeks I kept thinking it was gone then it would come back again. Most annoying.

GreatJoanUmber Sat 30-Nov-13 20:25:48

After my last c/s, a midwife told me that they do in fact "clean you out" as much as they can; so in theory it's less. Doesn't feel like it initially though - I had quite a lot in the first few days - but after that it's definitely less; while it lasts a good few weeks I could usually just wear a panty liner.

YoniMitchel Sat 30-Nov-13 19:08:52

I had very little bleeding , only had to wear a panty liner, was great smile

AnitaManeater Sat 30-Nov-13 19:03:21

I had a bit of pooling/flooding when I stood up for the first time. But rank as I was in the corridor between my hospital bed and the loo when it happened sad

I had clexane injections for a while after so the lochia seemed to be quite thin and watery but had finished after 2wks

Only1scoop Sat 30-Nov-13 19:02:33

Op I had elcs and was quite shocked when got up next day for shower the amount of blood was far more than I imagined. My first period after was also like nothing I'd experienced just so heavy. Was back to normal after though.

Jemimapuddleduk Sat 30-Nov-13 18:59:18

I had a c section and had flooding for a few days then very heavy bleeding for a couple of weeks then light bleeding for another couple of weeks. I didn't think it would ever end! Definitely more than I expected but manageable with the maternity pads.

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 30-Nov-13 18:57:19

Had bleeding for about 3 weeks, but light loss after the first couple of days

Chopsypie Sat 30-Nov-13 18:51:31

It depends on how baby is, how the op goes etc. I had 10 days of bleeding with my first, but 3 weeks constant then the odd flood for another 2 weeks after my second. Both were c sections.

I had an EMCS last year and had very little lochia, was actually like a normal period. I mentioned this to the midwife and she said they did in fact suck a lot of the blood out during the section.

CrispyFB Sat 30-Nov-13 16:25:23

Yes, it's been the same each time with my vaginal, EMCS and ELCS deliveries. Real shame they can't suck most of the blood out!!

lochia is the same as with a vaginal delivery, although there may be more pooling as you will e imobile for quite a long time afterwards and can have a bit of a flood when you stand up for the first time.

Tea1Sugar Sat 30-Nov-13 14:38:21

Is it true that they "suck" a lot of the blood during the op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now