Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

what do waters smell like?

(14 Posts)
WhisperMen Sat 30-Nov-13 17:56:55

I rang them and they said to keep an eye on it and call tomorrow if there is no change or before if it gets worse or I get pain.

MiracleOntheM4 Sat 30-Nov-13 17:34:52

I hope OP is down at her labour ward being checked, taking Viva's excellent professional advice.

I didn't realise my waters had gone, put it down to heavy discharge. It was my very insistent DH who forced me into the car to the hospital. Turned out my waters had broken as there was meconium detected so I was induced immediately. Goodness knows how things would've gone had I stuck to my mantra of not wanting to bother the midwives...

Timeforabiscuit Sat 30-Nov-13 17:15:49

Waters don't always go in one great gush, and yes they do reek of semen grin

Rowboat Sat 30-Nov-13 17:06:55

Any news OP?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 14:38:20

It's never a waste of time. I'd much rather check someone and its nothing rather than someone go for days and days with leaking waters.

A PROM kit is like a pregnancy test...kind of....they dip it any waters/discharge and it tells you whether its amniotic fluid or not.

WhisperMen Sat 30-Nov-13 14:18:32

what's a prom kit?

I'll give them a call when I've had lunch. Thank you smile I just feel stupid when they examine me and it's nothing. Like I am wasting their time.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 14:13:18

We normally do sniff tests.

Prom tests are expensive and not always available. Meant to be kept for emergencies!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 14:12:28

You need to be checked again. I'm a midwife. I'd advise you to go in because if labour doesn't start within 24 hours of your waters going they will want to induce you. If there's a chance they went more than 24 hours ago you should be offered induction now.

Ring your labour ward and ask them what they want you to do.

Good luck.

DropYourSword Sat 30-Nov-13 14:11:09

You have prom test kits Viva? Fancy! I used to have to do the `sniff`test!

WhisperMen Sat 30-Nov-13 14:09:42

last got checked last Sunday. They said it wasn't waters and was probably just discharge from the uti I had. which I don't even think I had. It mysteriously disappeared when I had my urine checked the next day after nly taking one antibiotic...hmm

WhisperMen Sat 30-Nov-13 14:07:29

I went round sniffing pillows before realising the smell was coming from me.
Gonna have a bounce on my ball, see if it kick starts anything. I don't want to get all excited and then it be nothing sad

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 14:06:29

Go back. When did they last check you?

Take the sperm smelling pad. Ask them if they have an actim prom test kit to see if its liquor or not.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Nov-13 14:04:38

Yep, was coming on to say sperm.

WhisperMen Sat 30-Nov-13 14:02:13

37+2 and I am leaky, have been for a few days. Got checked at the hospital and they said it probably wasn't waters, but today it's different. It smells more like semen today confused

Anyone have any experience in this area? it's my first baby and I am fed up of going to the hospital to be examined and then be told to go home.

I've put a pad on and had a shower as I thought it might just be sweat that I could smell. The smell is still there confused

Advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now