Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

When did antenatal home visitors from the health visitor start? And what do they want to see/know?

(26 Posts)
downdownupdown Thu 21-Nov-13 12:15:22

This is dc3. I have never had a home visit before the baby is born. I didn't even know about such things till I just made the mistake of answering the home phone.

When did they start? Is this the norm? What is the point?

I have an aversion to health visitors as I have never met one who could help me or answer any of my questions.

I tend to avoid them even when I have a newborn, seeing them before I even have a baby seems frankly ridiculous.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 23-Nov-13 16:51:46

Lol - your midwife is being a bit of a drama queen - don't let her panic you. The entire health visiting service is optional. In the 2 years I've been working within a HV team I have come across plenty of families who turn down ante natal visits, don't come to development checks, don't attend appointments with us etc etc but we have never reported them to social services purely for that. Families do not have to work with us, it isn't the Law or anything that they interact with us, Those parents that want the help/advice seek and receive it and those parents who wish to be left alone, are smile

We only contact SS if we suspect any kind of abuse and neglect, and not wanting to use our optional service does not fall into that category smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now