Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brown discharge and pain at 21 weeks and no one will see me

(33 Posts)
loopylouu Wed 20-Nov-13 14:26:38

I have had this before at 11 weeks and 17 weeks. At 11 weeks I was scanned and told my placenta was covering my cervix, so this was probably the reason.

At 17 weeks, they scanned me (I had to go to A and E as the pain was horrendous and the midwife on the phone kept telling me to have a bath and a nap), said nothing about placenta, even when I asked (I was steadfastly ignored twice and the third time snapped at and told that they were busy), tested my urine, came up with a minuscule reading and deemed it a UTI and sent me away with antibiotics, even though I am sure it wasn't a UTI.

I phoned the hospital this morning, same thing. Told by midwife to have a bath and that I couldn't be seen by anyone now as the labour ward will not see you under 24 weeks. I told her the pain was horrendous and there was brown discharge, she kept saying have a bath and relax and only go to the hospital if it was bright red blood.

So now I don't know what to do. DO i just sit here in pain and wait and see if the bleeding gets worse? baby is kicking away still.

At my 20 week scan they gave me no info about my placenta, apart from that it is partially covering the OS.

It's all been a bit crap and I really don't feel well today.

Chocolatemolehill Thu 21-Nov-13 09:44:32

loopylouu - maybe see your doctor (or some other gynaecologist/obstetrician) privately? These things happen and hopefully it's nothing serious. But if there is something wrong it may be worth having it properly checked, if you can afford it?

loopylouu Thu 21-Nov-13 10:05:53

I have booked an appointment with a private obstetrician for a scan and a check up. I have seen him before when I was going through a MMC.

I can't really afford it, I have saved for years to have a private birth at an nhs hospital before I even considered having another baby (ds had lots of problems at/after birth due to negligence) but I need the reassurance and for someone to properly tell me what is going on.

plentyofsoap Thu 21-Nov-13 10:26:02

It will be worth it. I had this and it was my cervix funnelling from the inside and i was very close to giving birth at 26 weeks. They only scanned me me due to my previous history of pre term birth. What happened to me is rare though and it worked out fine, but you have to push them. I was sent home three times before seeing a consultant.

loopylouu Thu 21-Nov-13 10:35:02

plentyofsoap It's crazy, isn't it? I have asked so many times to see a consultant. They won't even tell me the name of the consultant I am supposedly under! I know they are busy, but you'd think I was requesting to see God the way they go on.

No one looks at records properly either. I had to tell them again yesterday that this was my second pregnancy after a c/s the first time. They assumed it was my first baby didn't even look at the notes, they have done that every time.

Someone further back on the thread said about A&E being overwhelmed. It's all over the news at them moment, but what can people do when there is no other choice? I remember the days of NHS direct - I called a few times when ds was little. After gaffing around fro hours waiting for them to ring back, the advice was always the same, go to A&E.

Tomkat79 Thu 21-Nov-13 10:44:04

Hi OP sorry you are going through this. In a few weeks time after your apt and re-scan I would seriously take some time to put together a complaint. I'm a nurse and am fully accountable for my actions and regulated by a governing body that will pursue matters if I mess up! These unprofessional practitioners that you have seen make me so mad and need to realise that they cannot continue like they are. I know the health service is in meltdown...but that does not excuse rudeness and incompetence. Rant over!

Hope all is ok xx

plentyofsoap Thu 21-Nov-13 11:07:43

Its so frustrating and it was so close to being missed. I knew something was not right, but felt I was not being taken seriously. I would complain tbh.

Katiejon Thu 21-Nov-13 18:12:04

IF U R BLEEDING IN PREGNANCY, WHETHER RED OR BROWN, GO TO HOSPITAL & DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL U R SCANNED!!!!

HaPPy8 Thu 21-Nov-13 18:20:36

I think in this situation you need to see your GP who then makes a referral to the appropriate hospital department - though the 'care' you had when you go there wouldn't be any different. It is true that a lot of maternity units will not see people before 24 weeks because the way they are set up is that prior to 24 weeks women are seen by either gynae or epu. Sorry you are having a stressful time OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now