Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much is an nhs private room?

(63 Posts)

Due to have baby no5 in less than 2 months and thinking of asking for a private room if one is available.

Never considered it with my other dc, but with dd4 my curtains were constantly being opened by mws whilst i was trying to breastfeed making me feel very uncomfortable as there were visitors there for other mums & it was my first time breastfeeding so wasn't at all confident in doing so around men especiallyconfused
Luckily a couple come and closed them for me as they could see me blushing one time but i was very angry the mws devalued my privacy!

I was also on a ward with 4 c-section mums, complaining of pain & getting painkillers whilst i was left with nothing through my excruicating after pains that i had with having had my 4th baby & the ladies babies were all night cryers, poor mums had to buzz for help as they were still bed bound.

How much money roughly do these cost ? Not exactly rich so a good idea would be helpful, tia smile

Sorry stevie didn't mean to make my post sound so much against c-section mum's. I think my experiences were caused by the lack of care, ie babies being left to cry whilst mum's are still numb and hooked up and mws ignoring my pleas for pain relief. I don't blame the mum's at all x

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 19-Nov-13 13:59:18

My mention of c-section mums wasn't meant to be negative, either. I just mainly felt sorry for them as they explained that their babies were crying and so unsettled due to extremely traumatic births. I hated the feeling that i had to keep mine absolutely quiet so she didn't wake theirs up. By the way the babies weren't crying because they weren't 'cared for'!

FloJo151 Tue 19-Nov-13 14:18:11

I was another c section first time mum! I had a horrible time on the ward. there was only 4 of us but 2 of the others had babies in scbu so I was soooo conscious that my baby crying would upset them and that they needed their sleep in order to be able to visit their babies that I didn't turn my light on at night when ds needed feeding as I didn't want disturb them! I remember the 2nd night trying to lean over the cot trolley to change ds ( as we were told that we couldn't change them on the bed and that the midwives weren't on call to change nappies) without the light on s as not to disturb the others and he just weed/pooed everywhere and I was in agony standing up! Whne I eventually gave in and pressed the buzzer the midwife told me off for being too considerate and that I should have buzzed sooner as id had a section.

I kept asking for a side room but there were none available so I signed myself out a lot earlier than I should have done as I just couldnt cope in that environment.

Spirael Tue 19-Nov-13 16:22:25

At my local hospital I inquired about this a few years back ahead of DD's birth. I was told that if there was a room available it was £80 per night that needed to be paid up front. But, in the event that someone deemed more needing of the room arrived then, you could be kicked out at any time of the day or night and would not be refunded. shock

katatonic Tue 19-Nov-13 16:28:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stevie77 Tue 19-Nov-13 16:32:53

I really wasn't replying to any comment in particular but thank you for your kind words. I guess my point was that noisy, inconsiderate people exist regardless if how they gave birth.

I do however think they should try and think a bit more when placing women in the post natal ward. I'm sure when I was in it wasn't even that busy and I really needed the rest and to get better.

TheGatheringDark Wed 20-Nov-13 13:27:19

Katatonic-they gave us a sheet about private rooms, costs (different for ensuite and shared shower/bathrooms) and facilities as part of our maternity unit tour, and showed us the different types of room. Definitely ask if they don't mention it!

Inglori0us Wed 20-Nov-13 14:41:46

I think it's a bit unfair how much the cost varies from hospital to hospital. Ours was £160 2 years ago so I bet it's gone up by now. It's a lot of money, especially if you're in a few nights.

katatonic Wed 20-Nov-13 22:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mim78 Wed 20-Nov-13 22:36:37

I'm hoping to pay for one too. Have a feeling it's £250 at the hospital I'm going to, but don't care! Also can't book in advance.

With dd1 I was in a ward with about 10 other women (they've built a new hospital now so it would only be a bay of 4). One woman had had an emcs and was screaming and moaning all night in pain. I think she had mental health problems though. Of course the other babies woke all night and cried - not the fault of the Mums but with 10 or more babies in the room was a nightmare.

Also remember midwives pulling back my curtains all the time for no apparent reason, while the person next to me was for some reason allowed hers shut as much as she wanted...

Mim78 Wed 20-Nov-13 22:40:29

I felt sorry for the c section mums too - I don't understand why they are left to take sole care of the babies when they can't even stand up! Why is there no rest period allowed?

I think they deliberately put as many Mums as possible as close together as possible (so filling up one ward/bay first before using the others if it's not busy) so that it's easier to keep an eye on everyone. I don't think the Mums' need for rest and quiet comes into it tbh.

Stevie77 Thu 21-Nov-13 10:22:38

Mim I think your last para is correct. I intend to be a massive PITA this time around.

Just because it's NHS, I don't think we should be treated this way. And I'm not being precious or think post natal patients are more important than others. It's the general attitude, that puts the patient needs at the bottom of the list.

Completely agree mim rest is never considered for postnatal mum's, it would be nice if we all got a rest before going home to our families.
I think rest is completely overlooked due to the overstetched nhs, maybe they should bring nurseries back so atleast mums could have an hours kip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now